• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dipoto or Scioscia gone in offseason

Fullmer17

I think we maybe looking at this from the wrong perspective.  We seem to be looking to fire the person most at fault when maybe we should be thinking about which position could facilitate a change more quickly-manager or GM?  When looking forward, consider which person is in the position to make the changes necessary for next year.  Based on this, I put my money on Scioscia staying......crap.

Can scioscia be traded? I can't imagine Arte will eat the 20 mil scioscia is owed, but k have to believe some team would take on most or all of his contract.

Maybe he can be traded to the Nationals for Dan Haren. That would be interesting to have Dipoto trade Haren away twice and for him once.

Although, I'd rather trade him for, say, AJ Cole.

Dipoto has had two years to make this team into a World Series contender and failed miserably.  He needs to go and be replaced by an experienced GM.

You are right, he should have fired Scioscia in the beginning. Maybe that would have helped make this team into a World Series contender

Has anybody mentioned that if Scioscia is fired and we have to eat his contract, that we won't be able to sign Cano or any other over-30 fading star, so Scioscia has to stay?

If not, that.  So long, Dipoto.

So, he signed Hanson? A mere technicality, but Hanson came by way of trade. A trade of a pitcher whom nobody on here trusted with any high leverage situation while he was here (under a suspect pitching coach) for a project starting pitcher who has had success in the past, was still relatively young, and who might have just needed a change of scenery? Sure, Walden is now flourishing in Atlanta (under a REAL pitching coach), and Hanson foundered after his arrival (under a suspect pitching coach).

Blanton, if he had performed to his career norms (which were accomplished under other pitching coaches), would have been just fine as a #5 starter. He didn't (under a suspect pitching coach).

Burnett, who had averaged nearly 70 appearances in the previous five years, and who had undergone the same surgery that CJ Wilson had, all of a sudden became a China doll.

Madson, who was a low-risk signing that could have paid off big time (who takes two full years to recover from Tommy John surgery nowadays?) is responsible for the ruination of the franchise?

The hindsight you show here is incredible. But general managers do not have the gift of hindsight when they do what they feel they must do to assemble a team. If even two of these pitchers had worked out (Burnett, in his very little time, has been effective), we would be having a much different conversation now.

Generally, GMs cannot be forced to make quick fixes. When a new GM takes over, it's generally because there is a problem with a franchise that has necessitated a leadership change. Most general managers don't get to walk into a situation that is already set up for them, unless the previous GM has retired. It takes a number of years for any general manager's plans and decisions to take root and bear fruit. Reagins was given, what, four years? And we all recognize how bad Reagins was. Yet he was given four years, and you're ready to dump Dipoto in half the time.

Scioscia and gang, however, have been given 14 years. And the last four years (under two different GMs) have been underwhelming, Yes, the Angels won a World Championship under Scioscia's helm...IN HIS THIRD YEAR. That was eleven years ago. Ancient history now. Even during most of the "successful" years, this team underachieved by rolling over and playing dead anytime the Red Sox came calling during the postseason.

Scioscia, and especially most of his staff, have worn out their welcome in Anaheim. Dipoto needs more time to restock the farm and bring in a new manager, who will be on the same page (and not TURNING pages). Managers do not last fourteen years in one place any more. The age of Connie Mack and John McGraw and even Casey Stengel is long gone.

2009 the Angels were in the ALCS in 2010 they let Vlad, Lackey, and Figgy walk and yes it was a good decision, but I'm tired of saying the Angels underperformed the last 4 years. It's BS K-Mo broke his ankle and the Rangers went to the WS in 2010 and 2011, they were the better team. 2012 was the only team i look at and honestly say that the team underperformed and even that team had more wins then the Tigers. Dipoto should have kept that team together and they would have had a chance. This is on Dipoto and it's not even a debate. 

2009 the Angels were in the ALCS in 2010 they let Vlad, Lackey, and Figgy walk and yes it was a good decision, but I'm tired of saying the Angels underperformed the last 4 years. It's BS K-Mo broke his ankle and the Rangers went to the WS in 2010 and 2011, they were the better team. 2012 was the only team i look at and honestly say that the team underperformed and even that team had more wins then the Tigers. Dipoto should have kept that team together and they would have had a chance. This is on Dipoto and it's not even a debate. 

I'm tired of hearing that the Angels didn't make the playoffs JUST because K-Mo broke his ankle. Those teams should not have needed Morales to get them to the postseason by himself. Besides, K-Mo's replacement (in the form of Trumbo) was here in 2011. There were already some underlying characteristics to those teams that have been magnified this year...namely, outs on the basepaths. Those were already happening.

2009 was a pivotal year IMO as well.  Agreed that Figgins/Vlad/Lackey were all good decisions - the problem is that that should have been a clear indication to the FO that it was time to regroup for a couple of years and not spend big money in FA or make "go for it" trades that hurt in the long term - which is unfortunately exactly what they did.  The infrastructure of the roster was weakened considerably after 2009 and we've been playing Jenga with it ever since.

I'm tired of hearing that the Angels didn't make the playoffs JUST because K-Mo broke his ankle. Those teams should not have Morales to get them to the postseason by himself. Besides, K-Mo's replacement (in the form of Trumbo) was here in 2011. There were already some underlying characteristics to those teams that have been magnified this year...namely, outs on the basepaths. Those were already happening.

Trumbo was not that good, and if you think the 2011 Angels team were as good as the 2011 Rangers then I can't help you. I also noticed you just skipped over 2010, so I guess you agree that team didn't underperform? 

I think there will be a change with the field manager, but I can almost guarantee Scioscia will not be fired. He will be traded or promoted or accept a buy out. If I were Arte I would wait until after the Dodgers are eliminated before deciding which road to take. I know everyone love Mattingly right now, but if they lose in the first round he will again be on the hot seat.