• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What happened in the 9th inning?

I don’t get what happened in the 9th inning.

Why did Adrianza hit with 2 on, 0 outs?

Wash said he was up there to bunt before Adell stole 3B. But even after that, the winning run is still at 1B. Wouldn’t the point of bunting be to get the tying run into scoring position?

So why’d they take the bunt off? Or why didn’t they have Drury or Thaiss hit for Adrianza?

From what they showed on the broadcast, no clear question was asked about either of the last two questions. And obviously, no answer was given.

I don’t get it.

Got anything on this, @Jeff Fletcher?

Just now, Stradling said:

So you wouldn’t have let Ehire bat?  The guy you wanted called up, while releasing Adell and benching Rengifo.  

Correct.

I wanted Adrianza up for 2B defense when Drury isn’t playing because Rengifo made like 5 errors in the last week (not an exaggeration).

When you’re losing by 2 runs in the bottom of the 9th, the priority is offense and not defense. So you do whatever you can to tie the game and worry about the defense later.

2 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Honesty I was confused aswell. It did not make sense to me. Maybe Drury wasn't available? 

Wash said he was.

“Washington said he let Adrianza hit, as opposed to using a pinch-hitter, because he wanted him to bunt. Once Adell stole third, Washington figured he could get him in.”

https://t.co/UtMcaMXRMH

This doesn’t make any sense. Why does scoring the runner at third matter? It’s the 9th inning and Adell wasn’t the tying run.

I don’t get it.

5 minutes ago, BTH said:

“Washington said he let Adrianza hit, as opposed to using a pinch-hitter, because he wanted him to bunt. Once Adell stole third, Washington figured he could get him in.”

https://t.co/UtMcaMXRMH

This doesn’t make any sense. Why does scoring the runner at third matter? It’s the 9th inning and Adell wasn’t the tying run.

I don’t get it.

Run differential

Think About It GIF by Identity

Adrianza is a good call as a late-inning defensive replacement, but in that type of situation in the 9th inning, two on base with no outs, he needs to be pinch hit for. Thaiss or Drury have had plenty of at-bats this season; Adrianza has not. The biggest disappointment is Trout again not coming through when it counts the most. People keep harping about how we should trade him for a cache of young, blue-chip talent from a playoff-caliber team. Sorry to spill the beans, but none of those teams are going to give up any young talent for him -- Oh, they would take Mike Trout in a heartbeat, who wouldn't -- but not for the return that the Angels would need. That ship sailed at least four years ago. The reality is, at this point in his career, he is still a very good player, but he is no longer a franchise-type player. Playoff-caliber teams typically don't make big trades during the season for players like Mike Trout. They already have talented players, and they don't want to give up the talent that it would take to land him, not to mention taking over that huge salary. Look, like many people, I would love to see Trout and the Angels go to the World Series before his career ends. I sincerely hope that happens.  But Arte and company decided to let our best player walk on over to the next county northwest of us and sign with the Dodgers, and now we are screwed for the near future as we got nothing in return but a "What could've been."

I think it boils down to lefty vs righty old school matchup. If you replace Adrianza with Rengifo you still have a right handed Neto vs Kimball. So Washington waited to replace Neto with Rengifo, who came through. Was that optimal?

Look at what you have on the bench, how their bats are playing and say, still gimpy right handed Drury is your choice? Okay, pivot to left handed Thaiss and you have no catcher backup if they tie and someone has to play second base. 

A lot of moving parts there and Washington wasn't taking any of them lightly leaving left handed Adrianza in there. Sometimes the player at the plate has to come through. Like Trout that froze up mentally with the game on the line. Washington probably should have pinch hit Thaiss in that situation, now the game is over. 

8 hours ago, BTH said:

I don’t get what happened in the 9th inning.

Why did Adrianza hit with 2 on, 0 outs?

Wash said he was up there to bunt before Adell stole 3B. But even after that, the winning run is still at 1B. Wouldn’t the point of bunting be to get the tying run into scoring position?

So why’d they take the bunt off? Or why didn’t they have Drury or Thaiss hit for Adrianza?

From what they showed on the broadcast, no clear question was asked about either of the last two questions. And obviously, no answer was given.

I don’t get it.

Got anything on this, @Jeff Fletcher?

Kid gets a hit, he’s a hero. It’s baseball. It didn’t work out last night. 

10 hours ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Honesty I was confused aswell. It did not make sense to me. Maybe Drury wasn't available? 

It's not like Drury has done anything with the bat this year so I'm fine not having him pinch hit. 

3 hours ago, Blarg said:

Okay, pivot to left handed Thaiss and you have no catcher backup if they tie and someone has to play second base. 

I’d rather deal with that and have the game still going than just lose.

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

After the fact. 

Just because I didn’t type my thoughts at the time doesn’t mean I wasn’t thinking it at the time.

It made no sense to go with Adrianza over Drury or Thaiss, yet you’re too stupid or stubborn to admit it.

2 hours ago, Blarg said:

Of course you do, from your couch. 

?

The numbers tell you it was a bad decision.

It’s not that complicated for most people.

Just now, BTH said:

Just because I didn’t type my thoughts at the time doesn’t mean I wasn’t thinking it at the time.

It made no sense to go with Adrianza over Drury or Thaiss, yet you’re too stupid or stubborn to admit it.

I didn’t even want him on the team, you did, and you wanted it at the cost of Adell. So I’ll take stubborn, you can continue to be stupid 

4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I didn’t even want him on the team, you did, and you wanted it at the cost of Adell. So I’ll take stubborn, you can continue to be stupid 

Yeah, given that he's sort of a favorite toy of Washington, I suspect we may see more of him than most of us would like, now that he's on the active roster.