• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What happened in the 9th inning?

Geez, I can’t believe this is still going on. 

Yesterday before the game I asked another coach a little more about the situation and was told that they still could have bunted. Why they didn’t probably had something to do with the changing pitch probabilities as you get into the count and the changing value of the bunt when you’re moving one runner instead of two. Also, and this is my interpretation, but it’s a lot more risky to bunt with Adell at 3B than with him at 2B because he’s got to actually make some decisions on his own in that case, and well, we’ve seen how that’s gone. 

Finally I think that Drury’s absence from yesterdays lineup adds a whole new layer to this. Even though Wash says he was available, and he looked to be available as he was pacing in the dugout, maybe all that was an act. When I get to the ballpark today I plan to ask more about Drury. (And also Ward. He’s the second best OFer so I don’t know why he was DHing.)

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Geez, I can’t believe this is still going on. 

Yesterday before the game I asked another coach a little more about the situation and was told that they still could have bunted. Why they didn’t probably had something to do with the changing pitch probabilities as you get into the count and the changing value of the bunt when you’re moving one runner instead of two. Also, and this is my interpretation, but it’s a lot more risky to bunt with Adell at 3B than with him at 2B because he’s got to actually make some decisions on his own in that case, and well, we’ve seen how that’s gone. 

Finally I think that Drury’s absence from yesterdays lineup adds a whole new layer to this. Even though Wash says he was available, and he looked to be available as he was pacing in the dugout, maybe all that was an act. When I get to the ballpark today I plan to ask more about Drury. (And also Ward. He’s the second best OFer so I don’t know why he was DHing.)

Yeah but why

And there’s the answer for why Drury or Thaiss didn’t hit for Adrianza, as they wouldn’t have anyone to play 2B if they went to extras (since Rengifo pinch hit for Neto)

Thank you, Jeff.

Mods can close this thread now if they wish.

We could have closed this on page 1.

On 4/23/2024 at 5:10 AM, Blarg said:

I think it boils down to lefty vs righty old school matchup. If you replace Adrianza with Rengifo you still have a right handed Neto vs Kimball. So Washington waited to replace Neto with Rengifo, who came through. Was that optimal?

Look at what you have on the bench, how their bats are playing and say, still gimpy right handed Drury is your choice? Okay, pivot to left handed Thaiss and you have no catcher backup if they tie and someone has to play second base. 

5 hours ago, Blarg said:

We could have closed this on page 1.

That's crazy.

How do I put this delicately. Adrianza is not a real person. He is a figment of Wash's imagination. He is a ghost fielder. He is not an actual batter. His best at bats come when he actually doesn't swing, in the form of a walk or HBP. 

Neto is better than Adrianza, Adrianza is very bad, and Adrianza is a switch hitter who is bad but slightly less bad against lefties. 

Adrianza was left in because Wash didn't want to pinch hit in the middle of the count after the bunt was called off. He wasn't up there swinging by design, lol.

2 hours ago, samwum said:

That's crazy.

How do I put this delicately. Adrianza is not a real person. He is a figment of Wash's imagination. He is a ghost fielder. He is not an actual batter. His best at bats come when he actually doesn't swing, in the form of a walk or HBP. 

Neto is better than Adrianza, Adrianza is very bad, and Adrianza is a switch hitter who is bad but slightly less bad against lefties. 

Adrianza was left in because Wash didn't want to pinch hit in the middle of the count after the bunt was called off. He wasn't up there swinging by design, lol.

How do I put this clearly. You are wrong. All along. Still. Nothing has changed.