• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What happened in the 9th inning?

2 hours ago, BTH said:

He’s who you’d want up in that spot, and he didn’t get the job done.

Trout has become a serious problem with runners on base. With 2 outs he is batting .185/.290/.407/.698, with bases loaded 0.000 across the board. High leverage .000/.222/.000/.222. This is the guy you should focus on, not a short term fill in. We have to go the whole year with Trout in the middle of the order.  

Honestly, I would rather have had Rengifo pinch hitting for Trout. 

23 minutes ago, T.G. said:

Sometimes we don't get to know "the why." That's life.

Especially if that specific question is never asked to the guy who made the decision.

5 minutes ago, BTH said:

Especially if that specific question is never asked to the guy who made the decision.

You, personally, live in a world where you feel entitled to all the answers. 

Just now, Stradling said:

You, personally, live in a world where you feel entitled to all the answers. 

You, personally, conform to whatever the Angels do and refuse to have an original thought.

You think that whatever the Angels do must be right, and it shouldn’t be questioned.

No one has an answer to my fundamental question and is instead skirting around it because that specific question wasn’t asked and everyone with decent baseball IQ knows the decision made no sense.

Instead of admitting it, there a number of people on here who are acting like we should just believe whatever they say, like dumb idiots.

9 minutes ago, BTH said:

You, personally, conform to whatever the Angels do and refuse to have an original thought.

You think that whatever the Angels do must be right, and it shouldn’t be questioned.

Nope. But I don’t pretend I know I’m right and the manager is wrong nor do I think I’m entitled to answers. I also don’t say things like, “well that specific question was never asked”. 

12 minutes ago, BTH said:

No one has an answer to my fundamental question and is instead skirting around it because that specific question wasn’t asked and everyone with decent baseball IQ knows the decision made no sense.

Instead of admitting it, there a number of people on here who are acting like we should just believe whatever they say, like dumb idiots.

And you think you are smarter than everyone because you demand questions be asked. Before you pretend that isn’t the case need I remind you getting into it with Erica Weston where you questioned her ability to do her job. 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Stradling said:

And you think you are smarter than everyone because you demand questions be asked. Before you pretend that isn’t the case need I remind you getting into it with Erica Weston where you questioned her ability to do her job. 

No one has given me an explanation to indicate that I’m wrong.

I don’t think I’m smarter than anyone else, because other people had the same question.

I probably am more aggressive in asking the question than others, which is what happened in your example, but I’m not on some island asking a ridiculous question.

I’m asking a fair question.

Edited by BTH

7 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Nope. But I don’t pretend I know I’m right and the manager is wrong nor do I think I’m entitled to answers. I also don’t say things like, “well that specific question was never asked”. 

If someone wants to provide a legitimate explanation that makes sense, I’m happy to admit I’m wrong.

But no one has done that, which lends credence to the notion that the manager made a bad move.

In today's game using the  bunt is not a priority. And the skill isn't worked on enough by many players. But it could be a useful weapon with the right player. 

The sacrifice is the most conventional bunting situation. Mostly moving the runner from first to second. Virtually all inner diamond fielders expect it in obvious situations. And position themselves accordingly. But it also puts pressure on the defense to execute the play properly. An excellent bunter (very few around) can direct the ball to a trouble spot for a fielder if he gets it right. So many bunters foul off their first try. And often don't bunt down on the ball. That's why we see so many pop ups. Fair and foul. 

A bunter with speed could use the drag bunt. Remember those? Putting more pressure on the defense. 

And with a man on third there is the option of the safety squeeze. Or a delayed double steal. 

Remember the hit and run? Don't see much of that anymore. One of the options was to fake a bunt, pull the bat back and swing at the pitch. Often just chopping at it  (used to be called 'butcher boy' technique). You can get the fielders out of sync and force errors or leg out hits. 

Small ball is an art and requires specialized skills. Not all players are suited for it, but some on every roster  should be better at it. And serious practice and teaching never hurt either. 

Check out the 'Go-Go'  White Sox of 1959 for a pennant winning example. Especially the keystone combo of Fox and Apparicio.

Anyways, it would be a breathe of fresh air to see proper technique and execution of strategies besides waiting for the long ball. 

And maybe take the pressure off Trout though he's paid to come through more often than not. 

30 minutes ago, BTH said:

If someone wants to provide a legitimate explanation that makes sense, I’m happy to admit I’m wrong.

But no one has done that, which lends credence to the notion that the manager made a bad move.

Yes, plenty of sensible reasons have been explained to you but you don't want to accept them. That's a you problem. 

21 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Yes, plenty of sensible reasons have been explained to you but you don't want to accept them. That's a you problem. 

No actually, you and stradling haven’t provided a reason for why they didn’t continue the bunt after the Adell steal. Instead there’s deflection to trout and attacking of the poster himself rather than the question posed

32 minutes ago, Blarg said:

False.

No one has explained why Adell taking 3B resulted in the bunt call being taken off.

11 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Here you go, less runs expected with runners on 2nd and 3rd with one out than 1st and 3rd with zero outs  

IMG_2801.jpeg

It’s higher 1st and 2nd no outs than 2nd and 3rd one out. Why call it in the first place then?

12 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Here you go, less runs expected with runners on 2nd and 3rd with one out than 1st and 3rd with zero outs  

IMG_2801.jpeg

If Wash’s decisions were based on run expectancy, then why did he want Adrianza to bunt so it’d be 2B and 3B with 1 out (1.38) vs. 1st and 2nd with 0 outs (1.44)?

3 minutes ago, BTH said:

If Wash’s decisions were based on run expectancy, then why did he want Adrianza to bunt so it’d be 2B and 3B with 1 out (1.38) vs. 1st and 2nd with 0 outs (1.44)?

I have no idea. But Adell stole the base and it no longer made sense to bunt. 

Just now, BTH said:

They needed to score two runs and not just one.

Probability of the home team scoring two runs in the bottom of the 9th, down two runs, with runners at 1B and 2B, and 0 outs: 17.5%

https://gregstoll.com/~gregstoll/baseball/stats.html#H.-2.9.0.6.0.0

Probability of the hone team scoring two runs in the bottom of the 9th, down two runs, with runners at 2B and 3B, and 1 out: 23.13%

https://gregstoll.com/~gregstoll/baseball/stats.html#H.-2.9.1.7.0.0

Black Guy Rap Battle GIF