• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Aaron Hicks (1 year, $740k) - DFA Ingram

Just now, CaliAngel said:

So is @Stradling saying we didn't have nearly as many guys out nearly as long as @Blarg is claiming?

If that's the case, we still sucked a big fattie the last 4-5 seasons when guys WEREN'T out as long as we thought? 

Embarrassing. 

We haven't had a winning season since 2015. I wish I didn't know that. 

My original claim is we will win more games this coming year if we have a normal Angel year of injuries compared to last year having every good offensive player injured. That’s my belief. Blarg takes exception with me having an opinion. 

I didn't say much yesterday about Hicks but after reading his video call press conference comments, I just have to say this is a terrible fucking move. The only thing that saves it is that they don't have to pay him more than the minimum for whatever games he is active for us.

The Angels are not trying to win in 2024, nor are they trying to lose. They are in hope-ium mode signing expensive bullpen pieces and stockpiling washed up veterans in the minors while doing little to improve the hitting or starting pitching... 

When I thought about this offseason during the collapse of August, I thought they'll try to keep Ohtani 100% and if they don't they will pivot and sign someone else elite to be on the staff at least, but they really ought to look at the hitting side.

Hicks talked about playing every day which is what the Angels told him he would do. (which has since been amended) Why on earth does anyone think he can play every day? The most games he has started in a a season is 129, the most he's played is 137. 

As an elite defensive CF who won't be playing CF...Great job. He averages 77 games a year as a mean average, 

Didn't you sign Jake Marisnick for this same role? Which I also hated but thats because he is a cheater and should've been banned from baseball with the rest of the 2017 Astros.

Hicks had one outlier year and a half (2017-2018) where he was All-Star Caliber and the rest of the time he's been borderline awful. Last year with the Orioles, in limited duty he admittedly hit well. But he struggled in the Bronx, below replacement level from 2021 and into 2023.  Which Hicks are we getting? 

He's 34 years old.

He did kill lefties last year in limited AB's. .970 OPS. Though this is not something he's always done and been pressed into being a full time hitter for his defense, this is a one year anomaly. He did this kind of split in only one season before, 2017. 

Mind you, there is a elite legit defensive CF who hits left handed (something this club needs) as opposed to being a bad switch hitter, who also killed lefties last year, and did it before slumping the last few years as well. He's also only 28. That's the guy you sign when you lose out on Ohtani, not Aaron fucking Hicks.

5 minutes ago, Hubs said:

I didn't say much yesterday about Hicks but after reading his video call press conference comments, I just have to say this is a terrible fucking move. The only thing that saves it is that they don't have to pay him more than the minimum for whatever games he is active for us.

The Angels are not trying to win in 2024, nor are they trying to lose. They are in hope-ium mode signing expensive bullpen pieces and stockpiling washed up veterans in the minors while doing little to improve the hitting or starting pitching... 

When I thought about this offseason during the collapse of August, I thought they'll try to keep Ohtani 100% and if they don't they will pivot and sign someone else elite to be on the staff at least, but they really ought to look at the hitting side.

Hicks talked about playing every day which is what the Angels told him he would do. (which has since been amended) Why on earth does anyone think he can play every day? The most games he has started in a a season is 129, the most he's played is 137. 

As an elite defensive CF who won't be playing CF...Great job. He averages 77 games a year as a mean average, 

Didn't you sign Jake Marisnick for this same role? Which I also hated but thats because he is a cheater and should've been banned from baseball with the rest of the 2017 Astros.

Hicks had one outlier year and a half (2017-2018) where he was All-Star Caliber and the rest of the time he's been borderline awful. Last year with the Orioles, in limited duty he admittedly hit well. But he struggled in the Bronx, below replacement level from 2021 and into 2023.  Which Hicks are we getting? 

He's 34 years old.

He did kill lefties last year in limited AB's. .970 OPS. Though this is not something he's always done and been pressed into being a full time hitter for his defense, this is a one year anomaly. He did this kind of split in only one season before, 2017. 

Mind you, there is a elite legit defensive CF who hits left handed (something this club needs) as opposed to being a bad switch hitter, who also killed lefties last year, and did it before slumping the last few years as well. He's also only 28. That's the guy you sign when you lose out on Ohtani, not Aaron fucking Hicks.

As you note, the Angels didn't promise him anything, as he clarified after his bone-headed statement.  Also, no one thinks Hicks is in any way supposed to a replacement for Ohtani.  Furthermore, Hicks isn't an elite defensive OF and hasn't been for years.  He basically had one, one and half seasons of great defense, and has been average or below since then.

The Angels got him for league minimum.  If he sucks in spring training, he'll likely be gone.

15 minutes ago, Hubs said:

He's 34 years old.

What does this 28 year old want. Was he not one of worst hitters 2 out last 3 seasons in baseball. Hicks is just depth as halos looking to trade for a starting pitcher. 

2 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

What does this 28 year old want. Was he not one of worst hitters 2 out last 3 seasons in baseball. Hicks is just depth as halos looking to trade for a starting pitcher. 

When you have the budget and he’s a fit for your lineup you get the guy. I think he’ll end up signing at a price people will say “that’s all he got?” I was shocked last year he got as much  as he did, I thought he’d be in the $5-10M range at the most. 

4 hours ago, Hubs said:

If they want Cody Bellinger, signing Aaron Hicks for the league minimum won't prevent them from doing so.

Whether or not the Angels sign Bellinger (or any other top free agent) is totally dependent on Arte.

I don't know if any of you have noticed but no team seems to want Cody Bellinger. It's almost February and there is no interest being shown for his services. Not even the Cubs have reached out with an offer. 

So why in hell are you all obsessed about him?

6 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I don't know if any of you have noticed but no team seems to want Cody Bellinger. It's almost February and there is no interest being shown for his services. Not even the Cubs have reached out with an offer. 

So why in hell are you all obsessed about him?

Many Angel fans are like Arte needing the big splash. Market for Bellinger is very slim right now.

6 hours ago, Hubs said:

He's 34 years old.

You do realize they didn't sign him to replace Ohtani? They most likely signed him to platoon with Moniak (career OPS+ of 100 vs. LHP in over 1000 ABs) and fill in as needed. For the league minimum. Which is extremely easy to waive if you find a better option or he has a really bad spring. I think it also motivates Adell. 

It was fairly obvious it was a misquote also. He said initially he planned to play every day and that the team said he'd play across the OF and DH some. Them clearing it up was because of how it was interpreted, not what he said. 

8 hours ago, Hubs said:

He's 34 years old.

Being this mad and reading this much into signing the 5th OF on the roster to a league minimum deal is completely nonsensical.  I don’t think there’s a single person out there who sees Hicks as an every day player so I don’t even know what you’re trying to argue against

14 hours ago, Hubs said:

When you have the budget and he’s a fit for your lineup you get the guy. I think he’ll end up signing at a price people will say “that’s all he got?” I was shocked last year he got as much  as he did, I thought he’d be in the $5-10M range at the most. 

We have no idea about the budget. Financial impact of losing Ohtani and what may happen with TV revenue. The BP has been improved and what is next. It could be waiting to see where price on Snell or Bellinger goes. Could be a trade for another starter or signing a middle INF. To me direction of Angels this off season is still a mystery and nothing would be a big surprise to me. Until Snell or Bellinger sign your wish could happen.

16 hours ago, Hubs said:

We can use that lefty hitter, if the price comes down just enough.  

They now have FOUR righty hitting OFs (Trout, Ward, Adell, Hicks) and only ONE lefty hitting OF ((Moniak).

Need to trade either Ward or Adell.  But it’s a Catch-22, in that Ward is the more likely to be traded, but also coming back from the beaning and thus less trade value for now.

Edited by Angel Oracle

11 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

We can use that lefty hitter, if the price comes down just enough.  

They now have FOUR righty hitting OFs (Trout, Ward, Adell, Hicks) and only ONE lefty hitting OF ((Moniak).

Need to trade either Ward or Adell.  But it’s a Catch-22, in that Ward is the more likely to be traded, but also coming back from the beaning and thus less trade value for now.

Hicks is a switch hitter

19 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

Market for Bellinger is very slim right now.

that's because no one wants to sign him except for small clusters of fans thinking he's going to help.

On 1/31/2024 at 12:32 AM, mmc said:

Being this mad and reading this much into signing the 5th OF on the roster to a league minimum deal is completely nonsensical.  I don’t think there’s a single person out there who sees Hicks as an every day player so I don’t even know what you’re trying to argue against

It's the entire approach to the offseason. Arte is being cheap. & Perry sucks.

You lost a generational player, you haven't come close to rebuilding the roster offensively, but you add two expensive back end relief pitchers.

I have trouble seeing this group crack 70 wins.