• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Aaron Hicks (1 year, $740k) - DFA Ingram

Just now, Capital_Dave said:

I've got no problem with this. 

I do have a quick question though: are these "league minimum deals" cumulative?  Hicks is still on a 7 year $70 million deal with the Yankees that runs through 2025 (woof).  Got released last year and the Orioles picked him up for the league minimum.  Now we do the same.  So if the Angels cut him after spring training, and another team picks him up for the league minimum, are both teams obligated to pay him the contracted amount, thereby reducing the Yankees liability to like $8.6 million ($10million minus league minimum minus league minimum)?  Or do the Angels then get absolved of that responsibility and the new signing team takes it up instead, reducing the Yankees liability to just $9.3 million ($10million minus league minimum)?

Just curious. 

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's the latter option. 

26 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I'd take it with a grain of salt.  He had a BABIP of .331 with the Orioles, which was 30 points higher than he's ever had in any other season.  His average exit velocity with Baltimore was only 84.5 MPH, which is...awful.  His hard hit % was way below his career average, too.  He did walk a far amount, but he's always been pretty good at that.

Again, really no downside to signing him and bringing him to spring training, but I wouldn't get too excited.

Yeah, the walks is the only thing I paid any attention to.  His game was extremely batting average driven.

1 minute ago, Taylor said:

Roger Lodge isn't a person but a curse placed on Angel fans by the baseball gods until they win another playoff game. Once this finally occurs, Lodge will disappear into a haze of smoke.

We will not be rid of Lodge that easily sir. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

1 hour ago, jsnpritchett said:

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's the latter option. 

The other interesting thing about these sorts of deals is that because the Yankees are technically STILL paying him and baseball doesn't allow players to double-dip, the most any team would want to offer him is the minimum, this will be true again next season.  Offering him more would only result in the Yankees paying him less.

Also, I guess this means maybe he wanted to play for the Angels.

15 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

The other interesting thing about these sorts of deals is that because the Yankees are technically STILL paying him and baseball doesn't allow players to double-dip, the most any team would want to offer him is the minimum, this will be true again next season.  Offering him more would only result in the Yankees paying him less.

Also, I guess this means maybe he wanted to play for the Angels.

He grew up in Long Beach