• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Aaron Hicks (1 year, $740k) - DFA Ingram

• mmc changed the title to Angels sign Aaron Hicks (1 year, $740k) - DFA Ingram
1 minute ago, jsnpritchett said:

Interesting that they officially announced this, but haven't announced the corresponding roster move.

2 minutes ago, mmc said:

13 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

if they were going to pay a 35 year old to be the 4th/5th OFer, I'm glad they are only going to pay the minimum.

Man, time flies.  I can't believe he's that old already.

Bellinger did well against lefties last year too.. .337 BA with 10 HR.

Hicks is being paid by the Yankees, so the Angels can cut him and not even owe him a penny if he doesn't make it through ST. Similar to the Dodgers signing Pujols when we DFA'd him. If he didn't work out, they could cut him.

Edited by Hubs

2 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

I'm not clear on how the contract worked.

So Yankees release Hicks, O's sign him for a pro-rated minimum.

Did O's have the option to keep Hicks at the minimum for next year?

I believe he was a FA

26 minutes ago, Ochocinco! said:

He was a completely different player in Baltimore, let’s hope we get that guy 

I'd take it with a grain of salt.  He had a BABIP of .331 with the Orioles, which was 30 points higher than he's ever had in any other season.  His average exit velocity with Baltimore was only 84.5 MPH, which is...awful.  His hard hit % was way below his career average, too.  He did walk a far amount, but he's always been pretty good at that.

Again, really no downside to signing him and bringing him to spring training, but I wouldn't get too excited.

I think Hicks is a case of the Angels covering their bases. They have no idea if Ward is going to come back and be the same guy. Ward probably doesn't even know that. And if he does, great, Hicks is a platoon RF. And if he doesn't, the Hicks is locked into a positional battle with Adell and even Adams, which isn't a bad thing given their inconsistencies. 

Basically, I see this deal as no different than a minor league deal with a ST invite and an April 15th opt out date. They'll both cost relatively the same, and they both have minimal risk involved with the team. 

12 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

I'm not clear on how the contract worked.

So Yankees release Hicks, O's sign him for a pro-rated minimum.

Did O's have the option to keep Hicks at the minimum for next year?

No, the Orioles signed him to a one-year deal when they signed him, so they lost control of him when the 2023 season ended.

5 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I'd take it with a grain of salt.  He had a BABIP of .331 with the Orioles, which was 30 points higher than he's ever had in any other season.  His average exit velocity with Baltimore was only 84.5 MPH, which is...awful.  His hard hit % was way below his career average, too.  He did walk a far amount, but he's always been pretty good at that.

Again, really no downside to signing him and bringing him to spring training, but I wouldn't get too excited.

Excitement will be coming when Perry signs that SP.

I've got no problem with this. 

I do have a quick question though: are these "league minimum deals" cumulative?  Hicks is still on a 7 year $70 million deal with the Yankees that runs through 2025 (woof).  Got released last year and the Orioles picked him up for the league minimum.  Now we do the same.  So if the Angels cut him after spring training, and another team picks him up for the league minimum, are both teams obligated to pay him the contracted amount, thereby reducing the Yankees liability to like $8.6 million ($10million minus league minimum minus league minimum)?  Or do the Angels then get absolved of that responsibility and the new signing team takes it up instead, reducing the Yankees liability to just $9.3 million ($10million minus league minimum)?

Just curious.