• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Shohei Ohtani signs with the Dodgers (10 years, $700 million)

mmc

Just now, jsnpritchett said:

There's having an emotional attachment and there's being completely irrational and overreacting.  Again, why would anyone actually be mad at Ohtani for this?  Emotional attachment or not, what rational human being would expect him to turn down a deal like that and "stay loyal" (or whatever you want to call it) to the Angels?  Be mad at Arte for not giving him the deal.  That would still be wildly irrational, but maybe somewhat more understandable.

Why let it bother you? I don't think Ohtani is reading your posts.

Just now, AngelsLakersFan said:

That was my thought but MMC is saying they changed that in the last CBA... Who knows. Hard to see the Dodgers being OK with an annual $70 mil hit to the tax.

I can believe that they'll get around the luxury tax, but they still owe him an average of $70M a year, so that's what the contract is.

3 minutes ago, Lazorko Saves said:

Wait wait wait.  Are ya'll telling me that MLB hasn't closed the Ilya Kovalchuk loophole?  That somehow Ohtani's cap hit will be something like $25m?  There's no way.  They have to have learned from the NHL and the Kovalchuk contract and put that into the luxury tax calculations.

Luxury tax hit has to be $70m a year, regardless of deferrals.  Right?

Nope.  The AAV will be considerably less if most of his contract is deferred.  I am 100% certain on this.  And that is what most reporters are referencing when they are saying there are contract deferrals with the intent to lesson the luxury tax burden.

2 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I can believe that they'll get around the luxury tax, but they still owe him an average of $70M a year, so that's what the contract is.

Well, yes, but if I paid you 10,000 30 years from now .. that 10,000 will have considerably less buying power than it would if I gave you that money now.  So you are correct in that it's a 70M average, but if most of that is paid 50 years from now, it is obviously worth considerably less than having that 70M today.

1 minute ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

That was my thought but MMC is saying they changed that in the last CBA... Who knows. Hard to see the Dodgers being OK with an annual $70 mil hit to the tax.

An example of this is Edwin Diaz’s contract he signed last year, his 5/102 is structured as $26 million deferred over 10 years from 2033-42, so his tax hit is 18.6 rather than 20.4 (how that deduction was calculated, I don’t know)

1 minute ago, Warfarin said:

Well, yes, but if I paid you 10,000 30 years from now .. that 10,000 will have considerably less buying power than it would if I gave you that money now.  So you are correct in that it's a 70M average, but if most of that is paid 50 years from now, it is obviously worth considerably less than having that 70M today.

I get it. I guess we'll just have to see. Deferment over 30 years is quite a bit different than, say, 15.

Just now, Warfarin said:

Nope.  The AAV will be considerably less if most of his contract is deferred.  I am 100% certain on this.

No....freakin'...way.  That is just insane then.

MLB is really so dumb as to have not learned from the NHL and Kovalchuk, which happend all way back in 2010?

Then all big deals are going to look like the Bobby Bonilla contracts. 

If this is really how it works, then Perry's got to get on the phone with Yamamoto's agent and start talking about a 25 year deal for $400 million.  That's what it's going to take to get him then.

14 minutes ago, SoWhat said:

I’m sick to my stomach. I would’ve been okay with any team other than the Dodgers. I wish Shohei the absolute worst (baseball wise)

Take a step back.  You are posting emotional.  Ohtani deserves his money, and wants to play for a contender.  Your team had him for 6 years and failed.  Plus this will probably handcuff the Dodgers for the forsee-able future.

8 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Honestly, though, how can anyone actually be mad at Ohtani for signing this deal? 

No one is mad at Ohtani. We are mad at the situation and are taking it out on Ohtani's decision. Also the fact that he picked one of our biggest rivals is why I said fuck him. The same way I feel about any Dodger.