• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Shohei Ohtani signs with the Dodgers (10 years, $700 million)

mmc

5 minutes ago, TBM-850 said:

He was a fun player to watch on a team that usually wasn't. The only regret is not trading him+ at the deadline for a couple top 100 prospects.

Neto, Schanuel, O'Hoppe, Quero plus another two top prospects would have made a good young core.

Totally.  Not trading him was the biggest mistake this joke of org has made since…Rendon?

Edited by cals

1 minute ago, Second Base said:

Didn't that start with Bobby Bonilla?

Bonilla was pre-cap, so that as purely for cash flow.

The Kovalchuk deal was 17 years for $102 million, when he was 27 years old.  The team knew he wasn't going to be playing on into his mid-forties, so the length was pure fiction just to lower the salary cap hit.  The NHL voided the contract immediately because it was a clear salary cap circumvention.

4 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

That was my thought but MMC is saying they changed that in the last CBA... Who knows. Hard to see the Dodgers being OK with an annual $70 mil hit to the tax.

The Devers deal saw 75 Mil of the 313 deferred for 10 years (through 2043) and his deal is still averaging 30 Mil per.   Ohtani's deal is more than twice that amount so even if it's 400 mil deferred -- you have to figure it's going to be 30 mil per at minimum.

Pretty much resigned myself that we were in a lose-lose situation with Ohtani at least for now.  It’s painful for him to leave but would have been more painful to have another decade like the 2010’s

Yes this stinks, but we now actually have a path to being good even if Moreno keeps the team. Another mega-deal, especially something even remotely close to $700m would have severely diminished our chances of having a complete roster for the next 10 years. 

Good for Ohtani. He got his money and should have a great chance to win in his prime years.  He is definitely a class act. However, we got his best years and it was a blast to watch him. Now let’s get back to being perennial contenders. 

First bullet dodged. Now we just have to dodge a silly rebound signing. 

it's over, time to move on. In the National League he doesn't face the Angels often. But those games will be hyped intensely.

Lots of pressure on him. Very different now, with a stacked lineup and expectations out of this world. Not a big change in distance, but a huge one in team culture. Anything less than a deep playoff run will be seen as failure. 

Tears in Toronto as yet again they projected their self importance far beyond reality. 

Angels didn't play .500 with him at his likely career peak. Now the focus is on what they can do without him. 

3 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

The Devers deal saw 75 Mil of the 313 deferred for 10 years (through 2043) and his deal is still averaging 30 Mil per.   Ohtani's deal is more than twice that amount so even if it's 400 mil deferred -- you have to figure it's going to be 30 mil per at minimum.

A $30 mill hit to the tax is nothing. At that level he's just another big piece and they will have no issues signing other guys to big contracts to replace the ones they have currently.

13 minutes ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

@cals I need to know, since you're our resident expert.

How will the Cholos in the stands do with the Japanese fans?

I've wondered that already myself ! i think some true dodger fans are not gonna be able to afford to go anymore ! there will be new faces in the crowd and probably more celebrities too !

Just now, AngelsLakersFan said:

A $30 mill hit to the tax is nothing. At that level he's just another big piece and they will have no issues signing other guys to big contracts to replace the ones they have currently.

Yeah -- no clue how it's going to be broken down, but it's going to be interesting to see and the MLBPA will need to approve it as well.

I swear to God that if Shohei had signed here, no matter what the price, the people here saying things like, "He is dead to me", or he can, "Go f*** off", would be singing an entirely different tune about how much they love him for being so loyal, blah, blah, blah.

At least stay consistent, FFS.

3 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I'm actually glad he signed with the Dodgers. I can still see him play whenever I want, and generally watch a better played baseball game. Also the fan experience is significantly better, and I'll even save time in traffic to boot.

But poor Mexicans

1 minute ago, ettin said:

I swear to God that if Shohei had signed here, no matter what the price, the people here saying things like, "He is dead to me", or he can, "Go f*** off", would be singing an entirely different tune about how much they love him for being so loyal, blah, blah, blah.

At least stay consistent, FFS.

100% speculation.  

A lot of us here who are Angels fans lived through the 1980's and 90's, some years where our best player was Luis Polonia. We got young hungry guys and Trout who I think will have a chip on his shoulder. I would have loved to have had Shohei back but this isn't the end of the world. I remember the years where they didn't even try to field a competitive team.

29 minutes ago, Swordsman78 said:

Its really none of your concern.  You're just some rando guy.

MLB is hoping for a Yankee vs Dodger World Series.

Stay in your lane cuck-boy. 

Nobody cares about anything the resident Nevin simp has ever posted, ever, but seeing how a deal like this will be broken down and how other teams including the Angels may benefit from similar dealings is probably of interest to most people here. 

Thanks for the chat.