• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Is Theo Epstein the simplest answer?

Dtwncbad

There is mostly a consensus that there is organizational dysfunction with the Angels, and that Moreno is either the source of the dysfunction or is minimally responsible for the existence of the dysfunction.

Since Moreno almost sold the team, there is a heavy interest in him going back to plan to sell the team.  Except we know he changed his mind so nobody knows how realistic it is for him to sell.

Here is the main question:

How satisfied overall would you be if Moreno simply hired Theo Epstein to run the club?

Then follow questions:

Would you still be adamant about wanting More o to sell?

If Epstein was here, would you still be suspicious at every turn that Moreno is “meddling” even in the absence of any real evidence he is?

If I were a consultant to Moreno and he told me he wanted to win, clean up his own image, and also retain ownership, I would advise him to simply hire Epstein and give the guy as much control over the club as anyone other than an owner could possibly have, with the arrangement being Epstein aggressively earns equity in the team for postseason appearances, pennants, and rings.

Epstein’s next role will need to be something like that, and the Angels are actually the perfect fit to create that specific opportunity.

Would you be fully satisfied with Moreno simply hiring Epstein (and properly letting him do his thing) or are you so scorned with Moreno that nothing less than a full sale of the team will be satisfactory?

Edited by Dtwncbad

18 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

If I were a consultant to Moreno and he told me he wanted to win, clean up his own image, and also retain ownership, I would advise him to simply hire Epstein and give the guy as much control over the club as anyone other than an owner could possibly have, with the arrangement being Epstein aggressively earns equity in the team for postseason appearances, pennants, and rings.

I love the idea of this. Unfortunately I can't see Arte doing it. 

1 hour ago, BigVladdy said:

I love the idea of this. Unfortunately I can't see Arte doing it. 

If you can’t see him making a move that allows him keep the team and put the organization on the right track, and he isn’t selling, then how can you remain a fan?

32 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

If you can’t see him making a move that allows him keep the team and put the organization on the right track, and he isn’t selling, then how can you remain a fan?

Because I've been a fan for 45 years and I will remain one (tho the last several years have been difficult). 

Not really a matter of fandom, just a complete lack of faith in Arte to do the right thing as far as running a winning organization is concerned. Show me one instance where Arte has seemed to give a $ hit about his image.

Can't speak to his financials but I would assume he's still making a profit which is really all that I think he cares about. I'd be thrilled to be proven wrong.

Again, I love your proposal. Incentivize winning. 

3 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

Yes fuck yes but he ain't coming unless he is part of a ownership group 

It was speculated that someone like Epstein could possibly be a part of a new ownership group.

My “proposal” is maybe you achieve something similar with Moreno making a deal directly with Epstein.

It’s just a speculative idea, but it makes the best of a situation where an owner probably should be selling but doesn’t really want to yet (at least right now).

23 hours ago, Blarg said:

Epstein would not enter into a contract with an organization where the owner is known to under fund their entire baseball operations in favor of marquee player banners to hang in front of the box office. 

First thing that pops in my head is that after Ohtani and Trout, who else is marquee?

The next thing that popped into my head is Rendon. And then the line from Major League.

"I thought you said we didn't have any high priced talent on this ball club?"

"You can forget about Dorn because he's just high priced."

Dorn played 3B, too.

23 hours ago, Blarg said:

Epstein would not enter into a contract with an organization where the owner is known to under fund their entire baseball operations in favor of marquee player banners to hang in front of the box office. 

That would definitely have to change, along with giving Epstein a small percentage of the team.

Only turns 50 in 2024, maybe a long enough stay here, if Moreno gave him what he wants?

Edited by Angel Oracle

On 10/9/2023 at 11:43 AM, BTH said:

All the talk around Theo is that he wants his next MLB venture to be at the ownership level.

So if Arte offered him ownership stake in exchange for running baseball ops, I’d be thrilled. He’d also need to be willing to spend on whatever Theo wanted.

This would be great if it happens. 

Can't imagine Epstein would come here without being part of ownership, with large financial reserves he can tap, and the freedom to make decisions.  To get that, Arte has to sell control.

This past season has probably made the club much less valuable than last year - would Arte's ego tolerate him going out with a 9 figure decline in value, and near-universal derision over his tenure?  You'd think that'd make him wash his hands, but I think it's just as likely to make him dig in.

I've always said the worst news last offseason was him deciding not to sell the team.

The man is cancer to this team, and it'll never get better until he gives up control.