• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels select Nolan Schanuel, reinstate Logan O'Hoppe, place CJ Cron on 10-day IL, DFA Chad Wallach, move Rendon to 60-day IL

Chuck

So if this Angels season was the Titanic we would be at the point right now where the stern is at a 90 degree angle sticking straight up but hasn’t started it’s final plunge yet…it’s just hangin there.

I can vividly see Perry in place of Leo on the stern railing saying “this is it!” Once it starts it’s inevitable slide beneath the waves and into history.

Of course Rendon is off in a lifeboat somewhere not even caring.

3 minutes ago, yamsi12 said:

So if this Angels season was the Titanic we would be at the point right now where the stern is at a 90 degree angle sticking straight up but hasn’t started it’s final plunge yet…it’s just hangin there.

I can vividly see Perry in place of Leo on the stern railing saying “this is it!” Once it starts it’s inevitable slide beneath the waves and into history.

Of course Rendon is off in a lifeboat somewhere not even caring.

Just want to make sure I have this in perspective.

A .500 season with the pleasure of watching one of the greatest seasons ever by any player in the history of the  major leagues, along with fun watching some other good young players giving us things to look forward to. . .

. . . is the “Titanic”  for some fans.

OK.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

Is your entire view of pitcher performance based on ERA and wins or something? 

Detmers' ERA is meh no doubt but he's been better than hid ERA. His fWAR is 1.8 (Ohtani is at 2.3), and while I am not a big fan of pitcher bWAR but to say his season amounts to one game where the other team mailed it is in just plain dumb.

He's been rushed no question, but he's not really any worse off than he would be in AAA in part because SLC plays so very differently to Angel Stadium.

Exactly, plus no way the Rangers were mailing it in, top offense in the AL.

2 hours ago, LaPalma said:

So you don’t think we have a recent history of pushing players up too fast, to their detriment?  I strongly disagree.  Maybe when we were in the playoff hunt it made sense.  Now it seems desperate and prone to be backfiring.

You have access to an alternate universe where these players were promoted to the big league years later and performed without any issues?

The truth is we really don't know if things would be different.  

1 minute ago, Angel Oracle said:

Exactly, plus no way the Rangers were mailing it in, top offense in the AL.

Yes they were.  I bet on five games in a row before that game and was right every time, several thousand in total bets, and stated BEFORE the game I thought the Angels would win that one.  I studied team patterns, the Rangers seem to lay down when they already have the win in a series, and the Angels panic and win one game out of a series over and over.  The Rangers won the first two and lost the last game in the previous two series, one against the lowly A’s.  Team psychology is real.

14 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Just want to make sure I have this in perspective.

A .500 season with the pleasure of watching one of the greatest seasons ever by any player in the history of the  major leagues, along with fun watching some other good young players giving us things to look forward to. . .

. . . is the “Titanic”  for some fans.

OK.

They are gonna finish below .500

it will be 9 years since the team has been in the playoffs. Ohtani will sign somewhere else. Rendon is the worst contract in baseball. This team has been horribly mismanaged for going on a decade now.

yes it’s the Titanic…..but we can always look forward to the other young players just as the White Star Line could look forward to Titanics younger sister……

the Britannic…..

• mmc changed the title to Angels select Nolan Schanuel, reinstate Logan O'Hoppe, place CJ Cron on 10-day IL, DFA Chad Wallach, move Rendon to 60-day IL
1 hour ago, James said:

He will struggle at some point and that is when we will see if this was smart or not. 

Like Trout did his first time up? He struggled like crazy playing his first 40 games after being called up from AA. I think he did ok his next season. 

Just now, Blarg said:

Like Trout did his first time up? He struggled like crazy playing his first 40 games after being called up from AA. I think he did ok his next season. 

Trout played more in the minors, it isnt really the same.

Again, never said this was a bad move, just hoping the front office is correct here and lets not act like the track record is prestine with our minor leagues. 

20 minutes ago, LaPalma said:

Yes they were.  I bet on five games in a row before that game and was right every time, several thousand in total bets, and stated BEFORE the game I thought the Angels would win that one.  I studied team patterns, the Rangers seem to lay down when they already have the win in a series, and the Angels panic and win one game out of a series over and over.  The Rangers won the first two and lost the last game in the previous two series, one against the lowly A’s.  Team psychology is real.

You do realize you come off as the biggest douche on the board bragging about betting against our favorite team, right? It's like you have no awareness of what a complete ass you are. 

2 minutes ago, Blarg said:

You do realize you come off as the biggest douche on the board bragging about betting against our favorite team, right? It's like you have no awareness of what a complete ass you are. 

While being told to send us a picture of his betting slips, yet he chooses not to.  He’s full of shit.  He has no awareness.

58 minutes ago, gurn67 said:

John Olerud had very similar tools. Never played a game in the minor leagues and had an OPS of just below .800 his first few years. MLB average OPS for 1B this season is .772. Considering the Angels have gotten a .674 OPS this year and a .614 OPS last year, if the kid can stay around .750 for his first couple of seasons while he's figuring things out, it would be a big improvement. As long as he's able to draw walks consistently, he should be fine. If he starts swinging at everything thrown to him like most of the guys on this team, he can always be sent down for more seasoning.

I like this. Olerud was a hell of a player.

First thing that comes to mind is the Rickey Henderson helmet story, but here's a fun fact...

His father was drafted by the Angels in 1965.

2 minutes ago, ScottT said:

First thing that comes to mind is the Rickey Henderson helmet story, but here's a fun fact...

There are so many great Rickey stories -- the helmet one is a classic. 

My favorite will always be the one where the first time he got on the Padres team bus for the first time and one of the vets told him he could sit up front with the guys that had tenure, and he responded with something like..  "Pfft, Rickey's got 17 yurrs in this league".

8 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

There are so many great Rickey stories -- the helmet one is a classic. 

My favorite will always be the one where the first time he got on the Padres team bus for the first time and one of the vets told him he could sit up front with the guys that had tenure, and he responded with something like..  "Pfft, Rickey's got 17 yurrs in this league".

Love the story of when San Diego GM Kevin Towers was trying to contact Rickey at a nearby hotel. He knew Henderson always used fake names to avoid the press, fans, etc. He was trying to think like Rickey and after several attempts; he was able to get Henderson on the phone. Rickey had checked in under Richard Pryor.