• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Is it worth it?

Torridd

Piggybacking on Minasian's Gambit thread, will you say all the prospects PM has given up will be worth it if...?

A. we make a good run to the playoffs and fail

B. only if we make the playoffs 

or C. it's already worth it thinking Ohtani may stay because of it and that the Angels haven't been to the playoffs for so long.

I say C for me and anything else is gravy.

My only issue with C is that I'm not entirely sure this would convince me of anything if I were in Ohtani's shoes.  Even if they win the WS with this current roster, all the guys they added are gone next year and there will still be quite a few gaps to fill in the off-season.  I guess there's the, "Well, the Angels showed him they'd go for it!" argument--but if I'm Ohtani, I still look around and think, "Ehhh, ok, what about 2024 and beyond?"

8 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

My only issue with C is that I'm not entirely sure this would convince me of anything if I were in Ohtani's shoes.  Even if they win the WS with this current roster, all the guys they added are gone next year and there will still be quite a few gaps to fill in the off-season.  I guess there's the, "Well, the Angels showed him they'd go for it!" argument--but if I'm Ohtani, I still look around and think, "Ehhh, ok, what about 2024 and beyond?"

Understandable.

12 minutes ago, Torridd said:

Piggybacking on Minasian's Gambit thread, will you say all the prospects PM has given up will be worth it if...?

A. we make a good run to the playoffs and fail

B. only if we make the playoffs 

or C. it's already worth it thinking Ohtani may stay because of it and that the Angels haven't been to the playoffs for so long.

I say C for me and anything else is gravy.

This is simple.

1.  It will be worth it if we make the playoffs

2.  It will be worth it if it helps us re-sign Ohtani

3. if we lose Ohtani and don't make the playoffs then it wasn't  worth it.

29 minutes ago, happybat4 said:

This was a shitty season. Were not making the playoffs, were not going to make the playoffs and Ohtani is going to sign somewhere else. We should have sold everyone.

This is the first time we’ve been in contention in August in many years.  We’re in a playoff run and we can make it!  We have the inside track on Ohtani, who has been treated like a prince here.  

2 hours ago, Revad said:

This is the first time we’ve been in contention in August in many years.  We’re in a playoff run and we can make it!  We have the inside track on Ohtani, who has been treated like a prince here.  

Are the Angels really in contention, though? 6 games back from the third wildcard. That's borderline at best.

4 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

Ohtani is not staying

Why would any of these moves make any difference to Ohtani if we flame out and don't make the post season yet again?  Like he's gonna give us a participation ribbon for getting Giolito?

The dude is constantly saying he wants to win and that it's important to him, we haven't done shit in a decade.

Definitely not worth it.  Wasting prospects when we could have traded them for non rentals and could help us down the road.   Buying rentals on a season that isn't going to amount to anything is the worst thing you can do outside of signing has been players for huge amounts of money IE Pujols / Rendon

28 minutes ago, case said:

Definitely not worth it.  Wasting prospects when we could have traded them for non rentals and could help us down the road.   Buying rentals on a season that isn't going to amount to anything is the worst thing you can do outside of signing has been players for huge amounts of money IE Pujols / Rendon

The cherry on top is going 2-4 after making a big trade, with the offense not able to buy a clutch hit and the pitcher you went and got losing both starts. 

it’s just so fundamentally angels it makes you wanna cry. 

30 minutes ago, TroutField said:

The cherry on top is going 2-4 after making a big trade, with the offense not able to buy a clutch hit and the pitcher you went and got losing both starts. 

it’s just so fundamentally angels it makes you wanna cry. 

2-4 that could have been 4-2 against two really good teams.  Did you see those lineups?

2 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

"Could have" doesn't mean much at this point in the season. 

Doesn’t get us an extra win, but against those two teams on the road normally, 2-4 as part of a 5-4 road-trip is fine.  But in fact we need to win every series so we missed a chance there to pick up ground,  there are going to be days like yesterday when we lose and everyone else wins.  

7 hours ago, Revad said:

2-4 that could have been 4-2 against two really good teams.  Did you see those lineups?

2-4 flat ain’t out isn’t going to cut it, if we want to make the playoffs. Maybe if we could have gotten rolling earlier in the season when we were decently healthy and not flirting with .500 for the entirety of the season. 

1 minute ago, Dtwncbad said:

Based on people’s reaction to the prospects traded, I guess the Rockies and the White Sox are going to be unbeatable juggernauts going forward.

And I bet Ohtani signs with one of those two teams since they are so stacked now.

Angels are really stacked now.

For the next two months.

I'm so confused? isn't the ultimate goal in life to win? and to win you got to take risks! 

it's kind of frustrating now with all these post, yet when we're in the division. Honestly of we trade othani, would Trout want to stay for a rebuild? how.long would the rebuild be? 

like our core is here! and we got to go for it. what ever happens happens. As long as we tried.