• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels acquire Lucas Giolito and Reynaldo Lopez for Edgar Quero and Ky Bush (move Joyce to 60-day IL, option Reyes, DFA Walsh and Davidson)

mmc

31 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I was hoping they'd go after him this winter too. He seems like a solid pitcher. Not quite as good as he was a couple years ago, but have the sense that he's still got a few good years in him and would be a durable, competitive veteran anchor on a young rotation. Can't remember the last time the Halos had a consistent, durable vet righty for a few seasons. Weaver? 

He's going to visit driveline this winter and recover that lost velocity and then some. 

1 minute ago, Angel Oracle said:

His 2022 season was really good too.

Former starter converted to the pen in 2021

Really really good. 

April and even rental aside, Lopez is pretty much the type of reliever you usually see moved at the deadline for a couple prospects that hurt. Getting him and Giolito? Good stuff.

4 minutes ago, aznhockeyguy said:

Not a fan of this trade.  Giolito is barely an above average starter. 

How so? Almost 3 WAR (#8 in AL) and an ERA+ of 116, #16 in AL in ERA...
WHIP is #19 in AL and Shohei is #13...

He's either a great #3 or on the 'right side of decent' as a #2 as it stands.

Edited by totdprods

10 minutes ago, TroutField said:

ERA+ of 116 and a 2.6 WAR. 

google is free. 

116 ERA+ Is literally the definition of above average. 16 percent above league average. 

His FIP is 4.46, meaning his current ERA is benefiting from good defense and good BABIP luck which is .279; where .300 is about the average.  He has issues with the long ball giving up 1.5/9.  Yes, decent starters that take the ball every 5th day are hard to come by, but I'm not a fan of giving up prospects for rentals.

Just now, aznhockeyguy said:

116 ERA+ Is literally the definition of above average. 16 percent above league average. 

His FIP is 4.46, meaning his current ERA is benefiting from good defense and good BABIP luck which is .279; where .300 is about the average.  He has issues with the long ball giving up 1.5/9.  Yes, decent starters that take the ball every 5th day are hard to come by, but I'm not a fan of giving up prospects for rentals.  Would've preferred getting Stroman, better track record and has a team option for next year.

The White Sox and good defense are not a thing. 

My thoughts are this:

1) The trade clearly makes them better. 

2) I said it before and I'll say it again: I think they should have traded Ohtani. They have won 6 out of their last 7 and gained like 1 game. Their schedule only gets harder. 

3) If they don't make the playoffs and/or don't retain Ohtani, they will go from a position of being able to gain 1-2 top prospects to instead losing 1 top prospect (and their top 2) for literally nothing. 

Last, but not least:

4) None of that matters because what is done is done. I'm an Angels fan and have been disappointed in this organization for so long. I'm letting it all go for the rest of the season and going all in. I'll be there 8/3/23 cheering them on per usual with a little more optimism this time.

2 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

7 losing seasons has haunted me. If they are going for it and not trading Ohtani I'm all for it.

Good point, they are making it interesting and it's been a very long time since we as Halo fans could say that at this point of the season.

It's nice to be watching meaningful baseball. 

Plus as someone here on the board pointed out maybe this helps to convince Otani to resign, so I've warmed up to the idea that cost is worth the risk.  

Edited by HaloBronco

47 minutes ago, TroutField said:

Fangraphs has the angels farm system now ranked dead last. 

someone has to be last, might as well be us 

So what.  Neto, O'Hoppe, Detmers are all very young and aren't "prospects".  

Angels ranked pretty high back in the day with Mathis, Kotchman, McPerson, Kendrick, and.... ummmm... Joe Torres. ?  Oh Brandon Wood.   Hmm.  Jo Adell 

Farm system rankings are slightly more important than spring training stats and records

Edited by ScottT