• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels acquire Lucas Giolito and Reynaldo Lopez for Edgar Quero and Ky Bush (move Joyce to 60-day IL, option Reyes, DFA Walsh and Davidson)

mmc

1 minute ago, Hubs said:

They’ll have to clear two spots to activate them so one would think something else is getting done. 

Oh shit, now I get it, neither of those guys were on the 40 man roster, so a couple of guys on the 40 man will have to be removed.  Another trade is definitely coming.  Unless someone is going on the 60 day?

8 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Everybody loved the Rendon trade when first announced. I will take a wait and see attitude. If we make the playoffs and are able to keep Ohtani, this might be the greatest trade in history or else not so much.

The only wait and see is if we actually push into playoffs.  If we don't we lose a lot of MLB talent,  the prospects we could have gotten,  and the ones we've traded all for nothing.  

27 minutes ago, bloodbrother said:

Lopez hasn't been very good this season so IDK how much of a boost he's gonna bring to the pen. Since it's clear they're fully committed to going for it, really hope Perry can work another trade for another RP prior to the deadline

He had a terrible first month but has been good since

I love how aggressive this was of Perry too. Among buyers, if there was a bidding war for Giolito, the price would've skyrocketed. 

And to clarify, I've heard from TWO sources well before this trade that the Angels were going to be in hard on Lucas Giolito. It's rare for one name to be mentioned, because we just don't focus our conversations like that. To hear him TWICE, was telling me something. 

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

Oh shit, now I get it, neither of those guys were on the 40 man roster, so a couple of guys on the 40 man will have to be removed.  Another trade is definitely coming.  Unless someone is going on the 60 day?

Weiss, Reyes, Ingram, Stefanic, Cabbage, even Walsh...

1 minute ago, Second Base said:

I love how aggressive this was of Perry too. Among buyers, if there was a bidding war for Giolito, the price would've skyrocketed. 

And to clarify, I've heard from TWO sources well before this trade that the Angels were going to be in hard on Lucas Giolito. It's rare for one name to be mentioned, because we just don't focus our conversations like that. To hear him TWICE, was telling me something. 

I was hoping they'd go after him this winter too. He seems like a solid pitcher. Not quite as good as he was a couple years ago, but have the sense that he's still got a few good years in him and would be a durable, competitive veteran anchor on a young rotation. Can't remember the last time the Halos had a consistent, durable vet righty for a few seasons. Weaver? 

7 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

The only wait and see is if we actually push into playoffs.  If we don't we lose a lot of MLB talent,  the prospects we could have gotten,  and the ones we've traded all for nothing.  

prospects are a guarantee of nothing. Look at what the Marlins for Cabrera or what the tigers got for Verlander.

1 minute ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

honestly I don't mind the lost of Quero and Bush! Quero lack of power this year  has been concerning. Bush, could be that break it or make it part of the deal. I also think there could also be a good shot at re-signing lucus 

You were singing a different tune earlier

FWIW, I haven't really seen anyone non-Angels' biased bemoaning how this was a huge overpay....

Bush and Quero are solid, but almost definitely 'overrated' by serious Angel fans. This was a pretty reasonable deal. Quero has a ways to go and we have two good young catchers ahead of him. Bush is getting mentioned with things like "chance to start" and "could be a back-end rotation" guy. We have a good crop of MLB arms now and more arriving soon. I saw one independent source at one point comp Quero to Victor Caratini.

Also, Jack Kochanowicz is R5 eligible this winter, so unless he's dealt, you can probably expect to see him added to the 40-man, effectively replacing Bush on the depth chart. Angels could draft a college catcher in one of the next two drafts in the first couple of rounds and they'd probably effectively replace Quero right there.

Edited by totdprods

I don’t know anything about the prospects traded but as others mentioned you have to give to get. The Angels aren’t trading Ohtani so they should be doing everything they can to make a run. Adding a legit SP and BP arm go a long way to improve their chances. Making this move 6 days before the deadline removes quite a bit of pressure. Every year at the deadline we see what pitching costs even rentals and I wouldn’t be surprised if the guys the Angels gave up don’t seem like a lot compared to other deals. 

1 minute ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Do we really need more lFers, with Drury on the mend.

Candelario is solid and would sort of close the door on 'will he won't he' Rendon for the rest of the year. 
Candelario at 3B, Neto at SS, Drury at 2B, Moustakas at 1B is a solid infield. 

And if Rendon does magically return, Candelario can play some 1B too.