• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels acquire Lucas Giolito and Reynaldo Lopez for Edgar Quero and Ky Bush (move Joyce to 60-day IL, option Reyes, DFA Walsh and Davidson)

mmc

wow, wasn't expecting this but am happy to see it. if they can resign giolito then it's even better.

sorry to see bush and quero go, but hoping this works better for us than for them.

sorry to see walsh get DFA'd, but with his recent history, i doubt anyone is going to take a flyer on him and that this was just a technical move to clear roster space.

now let's go smack the tigers!

4 hours ago, DMVol said:

Sorry if already discussed but I haven't had time to read through this entire thread.....but I wonder if there is at least some thought that Giollito, all things being equal, would prefer signing with the Angels....I guess I have Lorenzen's comments on my mind, about being a local kid and wanting to stay...Giollito obviously wouldn't give the Angels a discount but he might lean pretty hard to re-signing if he wants to be at home....🤷‍♂️

Giolito, Flaherty and Ohtani all share the same Agent and all 3 will be pursued by the Dogs. 2/3 are from LA. 

Lorenzen just wanted too much $$$ for a guy who was injured 18 starts and under 100 innings last year. Yeah, Local but a meh swing guy in reality he was too expensive for what he did.

As absolutely horrible with the bat as Walsh was, they were 9-8 in the games he started because the pitching was really consistent then. However, they were 8-5 during that stretch in the games he didn't start. I just hope Cabbage can continue to be a decent run producer. They got basically nothing out of Walsh.

• mmc changed the title to Angels acquire Lucas Giolito and Reynaldo Lopez for Edgar Quero and Ky Bush (move Joyce to 60-day IL, DFA Walsh and Davidson)

It was rather clear that Davidson was basically the last guy in the pen.  I think they took a flyer on him at the deadline last year, hoping to see if they could eke more out of him than Atlanta could.  Still has some potential, but given that he has no options, it makes it awfully hard to give him the reps necessary to improve.  He would be best stashed in the minors somewhere, instead of languishing at the end of the bullpen.

Barria, presumably, now takes over his role instead.

2 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

I certainly wish Walsh the best as he has had a tough road.

But I am glad to move on.  Regardless of wishing him the best, I had objectively lost all confidence that Walsh was going to help this team any time soon, or ever again.

Needing the roster spot, it is what it is.

He clearly didn't come all the way back, and it sucks for him - it must be emotionally really difficult to go thru what he has.  I feel for him.  

I hope the Angels will support him as he tries to recover.

There is no question the White Sox could have got a Top-100 prospect for Giolito/Lopez if they waits. Props to Perry. Similar to signing Anderson (stay with me). His salary looks awful now, but someone would have given him $18 million later in free agency. Perry knows how to beat the market. 

Trading a Silseth, Bachman, Dana, Madden, or Albright would have hurt a lot more. Bush is the one you feel ok about because the last two years he's looked like a future 4/5. Leading with the headline that the Angels traded their #2 and #3 is really misleading. They have a lot more guys in the system now that have more future value than both Quero and Bush, considering O'Hoppe and Thaiss. 

And they're not done. 

13 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

There is no question the White Sox could have got a Top-100 prospect for Giolito/Lopez if they waits. Props to Perry. Similar to signing Anderson (stay with me). His salary looks awful now, but someone would have given him $18 million later in free agency. Perry knows how to beat the market. 

Trading a Silseth, Bachman, Dana, Madden, or Albright would have hurt a lot more. Bush is the one you feel ok about because the last two years he's looked like a future 4/5. Leading with the headline that the Angels traded their #2 and #3 is really misleading. They have a lot more guys in the system now that have more future value than both Quero and Bush, considering O'Hoppe and Thaiss. 

And they're not done. 

I think Quero is a top 100 prospect, albeit in the second half. I really like him, but is ameliorated by having O'Hoppe.

But agree on Bush. I see his possible range of outcomes being anything from a #3-4 to a #4-5 to a depth starter/middle reliever, with maybe a 10/45/45% chance range. The other pitchers you mention have more upside, if lower floors.

Like everybody else here ai don't like the proce at all. And as much as I welcome the add, I don't see Gio as a guy you give up such a good prospect for.

That said...

First things first. We've had such shit luck with prospects the past several years that I mean... what if we'd traded Adell and Marsh years ago? Would we really regret it right now?

And next....

One way or another, I'm glad to see them go for it right now. It's been way too long since we have. And this may totally blow up in our face, but the entire org needs this.

And at the end of the day, if this plays a roll in keeping Ohtani then it's well worth it. If Quero becomes the next Piazza, so be it. I'd personally rather keep shohei and still have a decently young Mike Trout than get new Piazza in 3 years, with no Shohei, and old Mike Trout.

No guarantees in any of this. But sometimes you have to take a chance. And this year is the best time in years to do that.

Let's roll

If they play .600 ball the rest of the season, that includes games against teams that are ahead of them. 

Yes, they're done with the Red Sox & Yankees (and own the tiebreakers against both--which cannot be overlooked). They do have games against the Jays, Rays, Astros & Rangers still, so presumably, that .600 record would include winning their share of games against the teams they absolutely have to beat. 

By the time the traded prospects prove themselves or not at the major league level the Angels roster will be different than it now is. Others acquired or from within the system will be filling those spots. And the rest of the team will go through normal changes. So projecting how the team will do in the future really is pure speculation. Even if those prospects become solid, it doesn't mean the Angels will suffer from their losses. 

The trade is a calculated gamble for this season. Both to win more games and serve as a preview for the new guys about playing on this team as they hit free agency. That is one of the things mentioned about Ohtani being a rental. Also gives him  a vote of confidence about going all in now.

15 hours ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

And there is this....

Flaherty, Giollito and Ohtani all share the same Agency CAA..... And all 3 will be Free Agents.

Thats good. Now we only have to go to one Del Taco, not several.

You don't want to stop mid-bite into a macho combo burrito and say "whoops" as you look at your watch, then say "I'm late for a spicy jack quesadilla, let me know what you guys think."

If I'm being honest, for sure, alive hit Del twice in one day. But never rushed like that.

You have to give it time the diahrea to pass before you go for round two.

17 hours ago, AngelsFanSince86 said:

My thoughts are this:

1) The trade clearly makes them better. 

2) I said it before and I'll say it again: I think they should have traded Ohtani. They have won 6 out of their last 7 and gained like 1 game. Their schedule only gets harder. 

3) If they don't make the playoffs and/or don't retain Ohtani, they will go from a position of being able to gain 1-2 top prospects to instead losing 1 top prospect (and their top 2) for literally nothing. 

Last, but not least:

4) None of that matters because what is done is done. I'm an Angels fan and have been disappointed in this organization for so long. I'm letting it all go for the rest of the season and going all in. I'll be there 8/3/23 cheering them on per usual with a little more optimism this time.

This is exactly where I am at, only I will add a couple of more:

- We also lost the prospective prospect haul that would have certainly been better than the comp pick we will gain.  Though I don't buy he would be worth what the media wants us to believe.

- IF Ohtani does decide to remain with us, then what?  Arte won't go over the threshold, so we will be trying to once again fill holes on cheap fliers to surround our 3 high-priced players.  Which leads to the farm, where ideally those players come from....

- We will now be buyers in one of the worst buyer markets in recent memory, thus depleting our farm even further.

It's the most "Angel decision" ever, but sure promises to be a fun ride this year!

More speculation, but I really think it comes down to the following.

One, show him the money. Like 95% of free agents, he'll probably just take the highest offer. So the Angels basically need to match the highest offer, which I'm guessing is going to be about $50M AAV for 10-12 years.

Two, if the Angels make the playoffs, that could be a tiebreaker. Meaning, if Arte matches--or comes very, very close to any other offer--and the Angels make the playoffs, then I think Shohei will choose the Angels.

If they come close - if the stretch run is competitive and it comes down to the last few games - then all bets are off. I don't think the Angels are out, but that they might have to out-bid others, and maybe try to get Trout to fan the bromance.

If they implode, then he's gone, I think, regardless of how much Arte offers.

Be kinda funny if Ohtani has basically never had any real intention of going elsewhere, enjoys his routine here, enjoys the weather, the community, thinks favorably enough of the team, but has 100% focused on just playing ball and waiting until free agency to make that decision official, and literally all of this has just been noise. 

Edited by totdprods

It’s been an incredible 48 hour whirlwind, with the trades, and today with the sweep of the doubleheader and the Tiger series.  I’m so happy with the 8-1 record the last 9 games, the aggressive front office moves, Ohtani pitching and hitting like no one any of us have ever seen in our lifetime, etc.

The craziest thought in my mind is….we aren’t even talking about Mike Trout or Anthony Rendon in any of these conversations.  At all.  Mike Trout.  It’s like Mike Trout who?  

I can’t believe the Angels are playing this well right now without him (and somewhat Rendon) and yet the team has all this positive energy.  I hope Giolito comes out tomorrow and throws a 2 hit shut out against Toronto.  

Again, I don’t believe in jinxes, so fuck it.  I hope it happens.