• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Who's pumped up tonight?

REDneck

7 hours ago, NrM said:

Ohtani really carrying this team right now which probably has other teams willing to give up more than they would like.

If the choice is compete for a wild card spot or trade Shohei, I think you trade him.

idk tho. haven't been able to watch many games. Maybe we sweep texas or take 3 out of 4 and that changes things

He is hitting exceptionally well right now but wouldnt say carrying the team.  There have been a lot of his teammates making big plays. 

What's made this team more interesting to watch this year *has* been the young guys you didn't expect; Thaiss, Neto, Moniak, O'Hoppe (dammit), (and Soriano, too), and the guys you didn't expect like Barria (knock wood.)

The bp is starting to look pretty good, too  - which plays into the one thing that gives me the most hope for these guys - the comeback wins.  

No predictions - they're barely above .500 - but there are a lot of reasons to watch this team that aren't named Ohtani or Trout.

Still not convinced of this team. Still watching and going to games, but just not convinced. They haven't won a single series against a team that's over .500. 

They'll have to win at least 5 out of the 9 games against rangers, dodgers, and d backs to convince me they shouldn't be sellers at the deadline. Their schedule gets a lot tougher after the all star break. It's easy to be excited because they are 1.5 games out of a wildcard, but that's all by beating up on weak teams. After the all star break they play Astros, Yankees, pirates, tigers, blue Jays, braves, mariners, giants, Astros, rangers, rays, reds, Mets, then Phillies to close out August. Only weak teams there are the tigers and reds. 

Then A's, Orioles, guardians, mariners, tigers, rays, twins, rangers, and A's again for September. So pretty even split of bad/good teams.

My point is that if they don't show now that they can win against good teams, it's pretty easy to see them falling back to at or below .500. 

I know they'll never trade Ohtani so it's a moot point, but realistically they should be sellers if they aren't playing at least .500 ball against good teams from now until the deadline.

Edited by AngelsFanSince86

1 hour ago, AngelsFanSince86 said:

Still not convinced of this team. Still watching and going to games, but just not convinced. They haven't won a single series against a team that's over .500. 

They'll have to win at least 5 out of the 9 games against rangers, dodgers, and d backs to convince me they shouldn't be sellers at the deadline. Their schedule gets a lot tougher after the all star break. It's easy to be excited because they are 1.5 games out of a wildcard, but that's all by beating up on weak teams. After the all star break they play Astros, Yankees, pirates, tigers, blue Jays, braves, mariners, giants, Astros, rangers, rays, reds, Mets, then Phillies to close out August. Only weak teams there are the tigers and reds. 

Then A's, Orioles, guardians, mariners, tigers, rays, twins, rangers, and A's again for September. So pretty even split of bad/good teams.

My point is that if they don't show now that they can win against good teams, it's pretty easy to see them falling back to at or below .500. 

I know they'll never trade Ohtani so it's a moot point, but realistically they should be sellers if they aren't playing at least .500 ball against good teams from now until the deadline.

Angels have done well beating up teams at .500 or below, but yes, Minnesota and Boston both have .500 records now so you are technically correct. Even though they were over .500 when they played... For some reason, I thought they took 2 of 3 from the Brewers, but no.

Their record vs. teams that are under .400 is 7-3. (OAK (5-2, KC 2-1)

Their record vs. teams that are between .400 and .499 is 15-6 (SEA 4-2, WSN 2-1, STL 3-0, CLE 1-2, CHW 2-1, CHC 3-0)

Their record vs. teams that are .500 is 6-4 (MIN 2-1, BOS 4-3)

Their record vs. teams that are between .501 and .600 is. 5-14 (TOR 1-2, HOU 2-5, NYY 1-2, MIL 1-2, MIA 0-3)

Their record vs. teams that are over .600 is 3-4. (TEX 1-2, BAL 2-2)

Edited by Hubs

Each series is different. The rosters for instance change because of injuries, trades, promotions/demotions. And who is hot/not going into any series is an unknown too far in advance. Team wise and individually things may look different months from now. 

So it's hard to predict things months away, though general seasonal trends usually hold for the very best and worst. 

I just break down the season about a week at a time, or the next two series. That allows for deployment of the full pitching rotation and a chance to watch players against two different sets of opponents in a relatively short span. 

So I'm not just looking at Texas now, though obviously you put more value on those games. But say they win three but lose the K.C. series then it becomes a so so week. And even if they lose three in Texas but sweep K.C. they still end the week 4 - 3. Which isn't great but not terrible for a road swing. And Texas may loose their next series, so the standings aren't dramatically changed. 

Factoring in that there is still more than half a season, I don't think we are at the 'must win' state of desperation. Not for a while yet. 

2 hours ago, AngelsFanSince86 said:

You say Mariners are a good team yet Angels are 4-2 against them.

9 minutes ago, stormngt said:

You say Mariners are a good team yet Angels are 4-2 against them.

And their record against everyone else is 29-29. 

If you take the record against everyone else, ignoring the Angels...teams over .500 would also include Red Sox, Twins, and Mariners would be .500. 

2 hours ago, Hubs said:

And their record against everyone else is 29-29. 

If you take the record against everyone else, ignoring the Angels...teams over .500 would also include Red Sox, Twins, and Mariners would be .500. 

Sorry people are overthinking the math.

Angels current elimination number is 93.