• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Texas Rangers

Give credit where credit is due 

the rangers are consistent and killin it right now 

best record in franchise history through 59/60 games 

stop hating just bc we suck 

edit- the AL west is a two team race with the 2 Texas teams being involved from here in out. We’re a severe after thought 

only way the angels have a shot at the division is if they go on some type of Oakland A’s 2002 20 game win streak , which theres 0% chance. 

is it football season? 

Even though  they lost today, the Rangers have the top 4 players in the American League in runs scored! I wonder if that has ever happened in the history of MLB this late in the year. There's no way that can continue. Batting .334 with RISP as a team is not going to continue either. If it does, then even the Astros are playing for a Wild Card. The MLB leaders the last two seasons hit .272. Heaney pitched terrible tonight, and in his last start. He's regressing back to his normal self. Eovaldi has done this before. Started out like a Cy Young candidate and either gets injured, or pitches like crap. Hopefully, the Angels will catch the Rangers at the right time this week. It would be nice if they did it in a game I'm at.

18 hours ago, gurn67 said:

Even though  they lost today, the Rangers have the top 4 players in the American League in runs scored! I wonder if that has ever happened in the history of MLB this late in the year. There's no way that can continue. Batting .334 with RISP as a team is not going to continue either. If it does, then even the Astros are playing for a Wild Card. 

Yep, they have had a ridiculously good run of hitting with RISP as a team (.933 OPS), that's almost 100 points higher than the second best team and they are sporting a team BaBIP of .329 -- both those figures scream fluke.  The thing that offense DOES have going for it is that pretty much the entire roster knows how to get on base, they milk walks like the Manny Ramirez era Indians teams -- so you have to figure that ability to always have men on base will continue moving forward.

18 hours ago, gurn67 said:

Heaney pitched terrible tonight, and in his last start. He's regressing back to his normal self. Eovaldi has done this before. Started out like a Cy Young candidate and either gets injured, or pitches like crap. Hopefully, the Angels will catch the Rangers at the right time this week. It would be nice if they did it in a game I'm at.

I'm a legit Eovaldi fan -- when he's right the dude can pitch with anyone -- pretty fierce competitor too, but yes you're right he tends to break down and he's also got a history of losing it for weeks at a time. Regardless, he's been legit.  The rest of that rotation however has been somewhat lucky. Jon Gray doesn't have a history of outperforming his FIP but he's doing it to the tune of almost two full runs while Heaney and Perez's predictive stuff has them being closer to 5.00 ERA guys than the sub 4.00 ERAs they have been most of the season. 

All that being said -- they play really solid defense, people massively underestimate how much that can impact a pitching staff. Even if their offense and pitching has been outperforming what you'd expect, it's the being able to get on base and limit free runs defensively that likely keeps them from doing a full scale implosion.

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

We have to beat Texas head to head.  That team isn’t a 100 win team, not with that bullpen. That being said, if there’s one team I expect to make moves to solve their pen issues at the break it’s Texas.  They have the prospects to acquire pen help. 

Losing Degrom was a huge blow and relying on Heaney and Eovaldi through the summer Texas heat sounds rough.

3 minutes ago, TroutField said:

Losing Degrom was a huge blow and relying on Heaney and Eovaldi through the summer Texas heat sounds rough.

I was thinking that but they now play indoors so I’m not sure if that will have the impact it once had. 

On 5/25/2023 at 7:28 AM, REDneck said:

Is this why they were outscored 27-9 in those last two games?

That's 16% of the Rangers current run differential in just two games.

That was Davidson and Suarez. They gave up 14 of those runs in like 3 innings. And Silseth added a bunch too. 

5 hours ago, Stradling said:

We have to beat Texas head to head

we have to play at least .500 vs. other above .500 teams across the board.  We're 8 games below .500 vs. winning teams right now.  

Better teams find a way to punish you for bad baseball.  And by bad baseball I'm referring to untimely defensive miscues, walking way too many guys and not taking advantage of our own opportunities at the plate.  

2 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

we have to play at least .500 vs. other above .500 teams across the board.  We're 8 games below .500 vs. winning teams right now.  

Better teams find a way to punish you for bad baseball.  And by bad baseball I'm referring to untimely defensive miscues, walking way too many guys and not taking advantage of our own opportunities at the plate.  

Yep.  In another thread I outlined my opinion of what we have to fix.  In summary it was:

Innings 1-6 on the mound.

Situational hitting.  

6 hours ago, arch stanton said:

They were on 108 win pace at the 60 game mark but surely will slow down a bit from that. However there are several teams between us and them we should concentrate on first.

Um...OK...I understand what you're saying to a point. As yes...the team's approach should be to take things 1 game at a time and Nevin needs to know the strengths/weaknesses of each opposing team in terms of his game-planning/approach. But, given that the Angels have lost several games due to sloppy play/a lack of being able to execute fundamentals (even going back to last season), the "focus" IMO needs to be on the team/the play of every individual to, hopefully, stop these self-inflicted/stupid losses from happening. 

Texas lost 94 games last year. I don't know how many teams have gone from 94, or more, losses to 94, or more, wins from one season to the next. I'm sure that list is a very short one. It's a very long season. Things can change dramatically over the course of 6 months, as anyone who was following the Angels in 1995 can attest to.

On 6/6/2023 at 5:08 AM, nando714 said:

Give credit where credit is due 

the rangers are consistent and killin it right now 

best record in franchise history through 59/60 games 

stop hating just bc we suck 

edit- the AL west is a two team race with the 2 Texas teams being involved from here in out. We’re a severe after thought 

only way the angels have a shot at the division is if they go on some type of Oakland A’s 2002 20 game win streak , which theres 0% chance. 

is it football season? 

97 games left.  Elimination number 95.

God i hate football season!

4 hours ago, TroutField said:

How did I miss the Rangers getting an entirely new stadium? What the hell… lol

It's only been open for the last three seasons but one was a COVID lockdown so no fans were permitted. I went to it last year. They have a hotel, entertainment and food venues next to the stadium but inside it says they didn't have the money Huston did when they built the new Astrodome. Pretty low rent finish work and the concessions were pretty basic. 

I watched a lot of that series this weekend. Tampa Bay is really really good at all 3 aspects of the game. They're probably Top 3 in offense, pitching and fielding. Maybe even Top 2 in all three.

Rangers are really burning up their starters. 

Eovaldi is on pace for 223 innings pitched. He's only pitched more that 125 innings once in the last 7 seasons.

Gray is on pace for 196 innings pitched. He's only pitched more that 150 innings once in the last 6 seasons.

Heaney is on pace for 165 innings piched. He's only pitched more than 130 innings once in his career. 

The only starter they have who has proven he can handle this kind of workload consistently is Perez.

1 hour ago, gurn67 said:

I watched a lot of that series this weekend. Tampa Bay is really really good at all 3 aspects of the game. They're probably Top 3 in offense, pitching and fielding. Maybe even Top 2 in all three.

Rangers are really burning up their starters. 

Eovaldi is on pace for 223 innings pitched. He's only pitched more that 125 innings once in the last 7 seasons.

Gray is on pace for 196 innings pitched. He's only pitched more that 150 innings once in the last 6 seasons.

Heaney is on pace for 165 innings piched. He's only pitched more than 130 innings once in his career. 

The only starter they have who has proven he can handle this kind of workload consistently is Perez.

Damn dude.... That's seriously good info.

We're all waiting on the Texas collapse, or at least the law of averages.

It will come to some degree. How much, I have no idea, gurn67 has provided some compelling stats.

I'm not conceding a damn thing, but at this juncture I'm watching the Jays and Yanks closer.

We're a game behind the Jays and 2.5 behind the Yanks..Sox have fell below .500 as well as the Mariners of course.

Lets hope that math starts to average itself out in the next four games for the Rangers.

The Rangers are 21-9 at home. The Angels NEED to get at least 2 of these to make a statement. If they go in and lay an egg like they did in the first 3 games of the Houston series, they will slow down a lot of this momentum they've picked up in the last 7 games.

1 minute ago, gurn67 said:

The Rangers are 21-9 at home. The Angels NEED to get at least 2 of these to make a statement. If they go in and lay an egg like they did in the first 3 games of the Houston series, they will slow down a lot of this momentum they've picked up in the last 7 games.

Absolutely!

I think they made a statement with today's win. It was a big one for momentum! I personally thought today's game was important to win. I guess just a killer instinct...we closed it out.

Texas will be tough! You're absolutely right, we need two for the snow to actually stick.

28 minutes ago, REDneck said:

Absolutely!

I think they made a statement with today's win. It was a big one for momentum! I personally thought today's game was important to win. I guess just a killer instinct...we closed it out.

Texas will be tough! You're absolutely right, we need two for the snow to actually stick.

Make matters worse our two worst starting pitchers will be in game 1 and 3

1 hour ago, REDneck said:

We're all waiting on the Texas collapse, or at least the law of averages.

It will come to some degree. How much, I have no idea, gurn67 has provided some compelling stats.

I'm not conceding a damn thing, but at this juncture I'm watching the Jays and Yanks closer.

We're a game behind the Jays and 2.5 behind the Yanks..Sox have fell below .500 as well as the Mariners of course.

Lets hope that math starts to average itself out in the next four games for the Rangers.

Angels make a statement in Texas win 3 out of 4 and do not be surprised if they sweep Texas. Angels need to win AL west. Trout gets hot and has big series. Ward is heating up, Rendon is back, Neto going for ROY. Watch out Texas halos are coming.