• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Arte stepped in, told Perry to let Nevin do his job???

Hubs

and told Perry he needs to let Nevin do his job?

Little tidbit that the hosts of the Locked On Angels Podcast at the end discussed.

Did he read Maddon's book? Look, we all have issues with the way Maddon (and Scioscia) managed, I was a bigger fan of him (and Scioscia) than most. I hated Ausmus and have my doubts with Nevin.

I didn't really understand them firing Eppler, but initially supported Minasian, but when I read Maddon's book, I was very surprised about the issues that seemed to be caused by Minasian, instead of how we'd seen them with prior GM's where Scioscia was the culprit.

Edited by Hubs

6 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Arte Moreno needs to stop meddling in baseball operations, and let his GM handle that.

This was supposedly him telling Minasian to stop meddling in game managing, and let Nevin Handle that.

4 minutes ago, Hubs said:

This was supposedly him telling Minasian to stop meddling in game managing, and let Nevin Handle that.

I don't really buy it, and you didn't even post the actual clip so I don't know where it's coming from, but even if it were to be true, it's not Arte's place to determine the dynamic between the GM and the manager.

Just now, mmc said:

I don't really buy it, and you didn't even post the actual clip so I don't know where it's coming from, but even if it were to be true, it's not Arte's place to determine the dynamic between the GM and the manager.

Feel free to listen to the podcast and post the clip if you are so inclined. I hadn't heard it either, which is why I posted.

And as the owner of the team, it's exactly his place to determine how his organization is run. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiDw4ztpdf-AhWWIUQIHaACALwQFnoECAgQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fpodcasts.apple.com%2Fus%2Fpodcast%2Flocked-on-angels-daily-podcast-on-the-los-angeles-angels%2Fid1351402351&usg=AOvVaw297dG6VTKxQ2iC2YdK3qhB

5 minutes ago, Hubs said:

If that’s true, he should’ve let Minasian go through a full interview process and hire a manager to a deal longer than one year.

Just now, Trendon said:

If that’s true, he should’ve let Minasian go through a full interview process and hire a manager to a deal longer than one year.

Agreed. Or hire a manager himself and dictate that the GM is to handle roster decisions and the minor leagues and that's it. I think Arte misses Scioscia.

1 minute ago, Trendon said:

I still don’t fully grasp what was said.

Can you provide the quote of what they said?

They start the discussion 27 min in to today's episodes and the statement "Arte Stepped in and informed Perry that he needs to let Nevin do his job." was around 27:40.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiDw4ztpdf-AhWWIUQIHaACALwQFnoECAgQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fpodcasts.apple.com%2Fus%2Fpodcast%2Flocked-on-angels-daily-podcast-on-the-los-angeles-angels%2Fid1351402351&usg=AOvVaw297dG6VTKxQ2iC2YdK3qhB

1 minute ago, Hubs said:

Feel free to listen to the podcast and post the clip if you are so inclined. I hadn't heard it either, which is why I posted.

And as the owner of the team, it's exactly his place to determine how his organization is run. 

It's within his right but he doesn't know jackshit about how to build a successful organization in today's game, so he really has no business controlling the way executives who actually do and have been a part of them run their baseball operations.  

Just now, mmc said:

It's within his right but he doesn't know jackshit about how to build a successful organization in today's game, so he really has no business controlling the way executives who actually do and have been a part of them run their baseball operations.  

I agree, starts with a baseball knowledgeable President of Team Operations instead of a billboard buddy.

But, I think letting a GM dictate bullpen usage or strategy in the game itself is bullshit. I think they need to make the decisions in a broader way, not dictate who comes in from the pen and when, what pitches they throw and when, etc. Famously in Moneyball, Beane traded Carlos Pena so he the manager would have to play Hatteburg at first.

4 minutes ago, mmc said:

Haha. Ok. 

1 minute ago, mmc said:

Longest playoff drought in the league.  Keep white knighting for this loser at every chance though, it's hilarious for everyone else.

Haha, cute yet again.  You said something dumb.  You only need to know leadership to know how dumb your comment is. Arte doesn’t need to know how to build a baseball organization to know what one persons job entails.

Oh by the way I think this story is probably made up. 

6 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Haha, cute yet again.  You said something dumb.  You only need to know leadership to know how dumb your comment is. Arte doesn’t need to know how to build a baseball organization to know what one persons job entails.

Oh by the way I think this story is probably made up. 

Yeah, Arte has sure shown he knows exactly what the GM job entails.  That's why his tenure as the most meddlesome owner has led to guys like Jerry Dipoto and Billy Eppler experiencing much more success here than with other their current teams, who are owned by people who have no clue what the GM job entails.  

• Hubs changed the title to Arte stepped in, told Perry to let Nevin do his job???
3 minutes ago, mmc said:

Yeah, Arte has sure shown he knows exactly what the GM job entails.  That's why his tenure as the most meddlesome owner has led to guys like Jerry Dipoto and Billy Eppler experiencing much more success here than with other their current teams, who are owned by people who have no clue what the GM job entails.  

Also I’m not white knighting Arte as much as I’m telling you that you  chose to let a Arte’s tenure dictate you having a bad opinion on what the owners job is. 

5 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Also I’m not white knighting Arte as much as I’m telling you that you  chose to let a Arte’s tenure dictate you having a bad opinion on what the owners job is. 

No, I don't think that's the place of any owner in this league.  Arte's tenure doesn't dictate my opinion on what the owner's job is, it dictates my opinion that you look dumb defending him at every opportunity.

1 minute ago, mmc said:

No, I don't think that's the place of any owner in this league.  Arte's tenure doesn't dictate my opinion on what the owner's job is, it dictates my opinion that you look dumb defending him at every opportunity.

Cool I’m not defending him here. I thought you had a shitty take, I told you it was a shitty take (in my opinion) but your ego assumes I’m defending Arte. 

1 minute ago, jsnpritchett said:

Never heard of this podcast. Is there any reason whatsoever to believe these dudes have some sort of inside info? Sounds like a bunch of nothing, really. 

I don’t believe it but I haven’t listened to it. I figure if this happened an actual reporter would have spoke to it.  

11 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Never heard of this podcast. Is there any reason whatsoever to believe these dudes have some sort of inside info? Sounds like a bunch of nothing, really. 

The LockedOn Podcast has been going for years, this is I think the third host, Brothers I think, never heard of them before they got this gig. It was Brent Maguire before and before that our own @taylorblakeward