• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Arte stepped in, told Perry to let Nevin do his job???

Hubs

7 hours ago, Trendon said:

Thanks for finding out the truth.

In regards to in-game bullpen decisions, any idea how the dichotomy works? Is it fully Nevin’s call? Is Nevin following a playbook from the front office? Is the front office giving Nevin data and letting him make the decisions?

I am pretty sure they have some agreed-upon philosophies of bullpen use but the manager makes the in-game decisions. 

Which is how it works with every team. 

2 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

Jeff, should halos go to 5 man rotation have 9 in BP? More starts for Ohtani and Sandoval.

When they have off days they do have a 5-man rotation. 

But Ohtani can’t pitch on 4 days rest. At least, he hasn’t so far. The other pitchers (except for Anderson) have barely done it. The Angels believe the pitchers are more effective and healthier with 5 days rest instead of 4.

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

When they have off days they do have a 5-man rotation. 

But Ohtani can’t pitch on 4 days rest. At least, he hasn’t so far. The other pitchers (except for Anderson) have barely done it. The Angels believe the pitchers are more effective and healthier with 5 days rest instead of 4.

I understand that but Suarez now Silseth just hard to use a 6th man. Like giving that game away.

6 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

If/when Ohtani is gone, I wonder if they’ll go back to a 5-man rotation.

Maybe it depends on how Sandoval/Detmers/Anderson/6th SP do the rest of the season.

It’s kinda annoying how Ohtani is gonna bolt if the Angels are bad this season, but he’s made them run out horrible 6th starters for the last half-decade because they had to start using a 6th starter when he came over.

14 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Well they had 200 innings worth of Suarez in 21-22 that indicated he’d be better. 

Suarez best numbers have always been in second half. I also thought he would better this year. Suarez is now gone so picking is thin with Silseth, Davidson and maybe Barria. Silseth I feel would be big help in BP. Any of the 3 pitch 4 inn tops and that kills bullpen. I know Ohtani has not pitched on four days rest, but I would approach him about it. In a season of must win to try and keep Ohtani all stops should at very least looked at. 

I wonder if the pitch clock can be attributed to part of Suarez's struggles.

We know he was one of the slower pitchers to deliver pitches.

While it may not necessarily affect velo, he could have trouble locating consistently when he has to deliver pitches every 15/20 seconds.

8 minutes ago, Trendon said:

I wonder if the pitch clock can be attributed to part of Suarez's struggles.

We know he was one of the slower pitchers to deliver pitches.

While it may not necessarily affect velo, he could have trouble locating consistently when he has to deliver pitches every 15/20 seconds.

This is definitely possible. 

2 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

This is definitely possible. 

I've seen some people speculate that it could also be an issue with Alek Manoah and Lance Lynn.

Not sure I buy into this part, but the suggestion I've seen is that heavier pitchers may be having a harder time dealing with the pitch clock.

2 minutes ago, Trendon said:

I've seen some people speculate that it could also be an issue with Alek Manoah and Lance Lynn.

Not sure I buy into this part, but the suggestion I've seen is that heavier pitchers may be having a harder time dealing with the pitch clock.

In Suarez’s case, I remember when he turned the corner in the second half of 2021 he made a big deal about how he was working more deliberately. He would take a big deep breath before each pitch to focus. I suspect now he’s just a little rushed and that’s causing him to lose some focus or his mechanics. 

3 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

...I know Ohtani has not pitched on four days rest, but I would approach him about it. In a season of must win to try and keep Ohtani all stops should at very least looked at. 

I doubt that Ohtani does anything that either increases his chances of injury or degrades his performance. 

On 5/2/2023 at 1:11 PM, Inside Pitch said:

Jesus Christ.   You don't even have to LIKE Minasian to see how completely fucking self absorbed Maddon is.  Any talk about "worship" needs to start with the Maddon cult that made him out to be something he wasn't.  The dude wore out his welcome in Chicago, then did the same in Anaheim in damn near record time despite having an owner that absolutely loved the guy.  I bet if you polled the guys that played under both him and Ausmus they likely tell you they preferred Ausmus.

Maddon's genius was built upon having worked under the two best GMs in MLB history since Branch Rickey. Everyone saw how he almost blew a WS and then painfully wasted an absolutely loaded Cubs roster.

For the record, a lot of people on AW had to wipe the Maddon sauce from their mouths during the Sosh years.  

The Maddon worship here was as strong as heavy as the AW plates passing through an AYCE buffet.  

His self-absorption was partly fueled by the homers here.  

14 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

Suarez best numbers have always been in second half. I also thought he would better this year. Suarez is now gone so picking is thin with Silseth, Davidson and maybe Barria. Silseth I feel would be big help in BP. Any of the 3 pitch 4 inn tops and that kills bullpen. I know Ohtani has not pitched on four days rest, but I would approach him about it. In a season of must win to try and keep Ohtani all stops should at very least looked at. 

I would like to see Barria get a chance at this slot. I’m not sure he could be much worse and Silseth right now is more valuable in the bullpen. 

56 minutes ago, bruin5 said:

I would like to see Barria get a chance at this slot. I’m not sure he could be much worse and Silseth right now is more valuable in the bullpen. 

Looks like Arte would have to step in and tell Nevin to start Barria.

Joking