• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Arte stepped in, told Perry to let Nevin do his job???

Hubs

3 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Coached 20 years and 16 seasons of winning record.  Worst record 74 wins us better than 4 of the 5 seasons since he left.

So what does that have to do with 500 seasons….I know you meant .500 but I don’t think you know the difference.

33 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I don’t know what they said on the podcast but I’m unaware of anything along those lines. 

I don’t know how much truth there is to the report, but it is interesting that since the game on 4/24 where Estévez wasn’t used:

- Moore was then used in 3 out of 4 days, marking the second time it occurred for an Angels reliever all season.

- Estévez recorded his first appearance of more than 1 IP this season.

- The Angels SB attempts per game went up from 0.43 to 1.67

There are changes that have been made in the way they’ve operated since Arte reportedly told Perry to leave Nevin alone on managerial decisions. Seems like too big of a coincidence, but I guess we’ll see in the coming days/weeks. If relievers are used more frequently and they continue to run more, maybe the report is true.

Edited by Trendon

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

Just a hunch if the longest tenure beat reporter hasn’t heard anything then there’s a pretty good chance this didn’t happen. 

Probably, but the increase in SB attempts is curious.

Is it just random, or was there a change in philosophy there?

8 hours ago, Trendon said:

Twice it was a double steal with Ohtani and Rendon, so I’d call those 4 stolen bases pretty random. The other two were Rengifo and Neto. We’ve had one caught stealing since then. I think it’s sample size. Oh and I wish we were stealing more bases. 

13 hours ago, Lou said:

The problem was that after all of his success, we were under .500 during his last 3 years. 

Yes and we have been under 500 since.  And there are different degrees of losing seasons.  Scioscua was 80-82 his last two seasons.  We haven won 78 since.

I think the real reason why the team hasn't had a winning season the last 8 years is because front office/owner dysfunction and not the manager.  

Manager is only as good as the personal he has at his disposal.  Outside of Assmus, I don't think there was much there was much the manager could do.

I do think "analytics" have made front office to view baseball like it's a video game as the worship the "religion of advanced metrics".

I think Eppler did it too much with the concept of "the starter " and having pitchers gobthrough the order 3 times.

I think Minasian is doing it with the "Tammin" approach on relief pitching.

Advanced metrics has changed baseball but it should be used to advise managerial moves and not dictate in game decisions. 

1 hour ago, stormngt said:

I do think "analytics" have made front office to view baseball like it's a video game as the worship the "religion of advanced metrics".

I think Eppler did it too much with the concept of "the starter " and having pitchers gobthrough the order 3 times.

I think Minasian is doing it with the "Tammin" approach on relief pitching.

Advanced metrics has changed baseball but it should be used to advise managerial moves and not dictate in game decisions. 

I think the best FOs tend to have some blend of advanced metrics and traditional scouting.  I think Fangraphs (?) posted some grid years ago about the FO's, and how they skew towards one direction or another.  I can't remember where we fell on it, although I'm pretty sure it was generated during Eppler's era.  It seems to me that Perry has somewhat of a blend in his FO, based on his various hirings, but hard to say exactly.

12 hours ago, Trendon said:

No idea, and it would be interesting if that was actually the case.

But in such a small sample, it could be something more along the lines of pitchers and catchers they were facing? Who knows.

2 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

No idea, and it would be interesting if that was actually the case.

But in such a small sample, it could be something more along the lines of pitchers and catchers they were facing? Who knows.

I think it definitely has to do with pitchers being limited in how many throws to 1B they can make. 

3 hours ago, Warfarin said:

I think the best FOs tend to have some blend of advanced metrics and traditional scouting.  I think Fangraphs (?) posted some grid years ago about the FO's, and how they skew towards one direction or another.  I can't remember where we fell on it, although I'm pretty sure it was generated during Eppler's era.  It seems to me that Perry has somewhat of a blend in his FO, based on his various hirings, but hard to say exactly.

I agree, blend the two.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

This is not true at all, by the way. 

Thanks for finding out the truth.

In regards to in-game bullpen decisions, any idea how the dichotomy works? Is it fully Nevin’s call? Is Nevin following a playbook from the front office? Is the front office giving Nevin data and letting him make the decisions?