• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels outright David Fletcher off the 40 man roster, Chad Wallach with the team on taxi squad

mmc

7 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Maybe it’s not related at all to some pressing need.  
Maybe it’s just a case of the team being 100% certain that no team would take his contract so they just don’t need to use a spot on the 40 man.

Seems pretty rational to me. 

Everyone knows Fletcher sucks and is toast. We’re just not used to Angels management figuring things like this out.

11 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Maybe it’s just a case of the team being 100% certain that no team would take his contract so they just don’t need to use a spot on the 40 man.

They could’ve just DFAd him back when they originally dropped him from the roster if that were the case

21 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Yeah, that could be possible.  Still - I think generally, teams don't make a move to clear a 40 man roster move unless they have a subsequent move in mind that they intend to make thereafter.  I think teams generally keep their 40-man rosters full.

12 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Everyone knows Fletcher sucks and is toast. We’re just not used to Angels management figuring things like this out.

What's cool about this too is Perry is basically admitting his mistake rather readily.  He was the one who signed Fletcher to his contract extension, and 2 years later, he is basically pulling the plug and admitting his mistake.  It is not that often you see GMs move on that quickly from their own mistakes.

2 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

and they didn’t get him through waivers since O’Hoppe tweaked his shoulder. They had to put him on before. 

In that case, wouldn't that rule out them opening the spot to add a fresh arm? Cause they wouldn't have anticipated Ohtani's start getting shortened and them needing a fresh arm.

Makes me think it could be a prospect who they're planning on promoting tomorrow.

9 minutes ago, Trendon said:

In that case, wouldn't that rule out them opening the spot to add a fresh arm? Cause they wouldn't have anticipated Ohtani's start getting shortened and them needing a fresh arm.

Makes me think it could be a prospect who they're planning on promoting tomorrow.

Given it is early in the season and they are in a long stretch of consecutive games, they probably assumed that they would need an extra arm at some point during this stint.  

But all that said, Minasian is ultra aggressive when it comes to promoting prospects.  I wouldn't be shocked to see an out-of-the-blue promotion occur.

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I know you can only have a certain number of pitchers on the 26 man roster. Any idea if we are at the limit? 

13 is the limit.

The Angels have 13. 14 if you count Ohtani. But as a two-way player, he counts as a position player.

1 hour ago, Trendon said:

It would rule that out as the reason behind him being outrighted in the first place. But it wouldn’t rule out them using the spot for that. 

It’s possible they did it just to have flexibility for whatever came up, since it’s a no risk move. 

Hey, we are 16 games into a 162 game season.   I like Perry being aggressive, and trying to give this team a boost.  But I don't know how you give up on veteran players at this point.  I like the idea of Fletcher trying to reinvent himself at Salt Lake, same for Thais.  I would swap Wallach for Thais at this point, and risk losing Thais.  They have played so few innings, and have so few AB's, anything is possible going forward.  The same applies to some of the bullpen.  Loup had a horrible start last year, then he cleaned it up later in the year.  I am not a Loop fan or Tepera for that matter.  But you can chase bullpen arms forever, you just never know what you are going to get, and they can change dramatically month to month (we are still in month 1).  The better alternative would be young hard throwers like we have in the minors, but from scanning the minor league results so far I don't know if any of them are quite ready yet.  There is also a better chance that remaining free agent bullpen arms could be simply trash.  And we are not at the time of the year when trades are likely to go down.

I really like Neto at SS, but it's going to take quite some time for him to move through a MLB learning curve.  If he really has the confidence to take over at SS like he says he does I am all for throwing all the support that he needs to be successful.  Like I said in another thread, if he starts down a dark road we have a batch of young prospects that maybe can help.  Soto came up late last year and hit .400, and he might be among the weakest of the group which consists of Guzman, Vera, Jackson, and especially Paris. 

4 hours ago, tomsred said:

Hey, we are 16 games into a 162 game season.   I like Perry being aggressive, and trying to give this team a boost.  But I don't know how you give up on veteran players at this point.  I like the idea of Fletcher trying to reinvent himself at Salt Lake, same for Thais.  I would swap Wallach for Thais at this point, and risk losing Thais.  They have played so few innings, and have so few AB's, anything is possible going forward.  The same applies to some of the bullpen.  Loup had a horrible start last year, then he cleaned it up later in the year.  I am not a Loop fan or Tepera for that matter.  But you can chase bullpen arms forever, you just never know what you are going to get, and they can change dramatically month to month (we are still in month 1).  The better alternative would be young hard throwers like we have in the minors, but from scanning the minor league results so far I don't know if any of them are quite ready yet.  There is also a better chance that remaining free agent bullpen arms could be simply trash.  And we are not at the time of the year when trades are likely to go down.

I really like Neto at SS, but it's going to take quite some time for him to move through a MLB learning curve.  If he really has the confidence to take over at SS like he says he does I am all for throwing all the support that he needs to be successful.  Like I said in another thread, if he starts down a dark road we have a batch of young prospects that maybe can help.  Soto came up late last year and hit .400, and he might be among the weakest of the group which consists of Guzman, Vera, Jackson, and especially Paris. 

With Fletcher, it wasn't really so much the 16 games, but rather the two years before those 16 games, too.  He's been so bad offensively for so long now.  I think they wanted to give him another shot this spring and see if he improved, but when it was clear he hasn't, I think the team decided it was best to move along.  Now he will play regularly in AAA, and who knows, maybe those reps will help him figure something out, although that seems doubtful.

1 hour ago, Revad said:

I’ve always been a Fletcher fan, partly because he was valuable and non-traditional.  He was pesky.  I wouldn’t be surprised if he reinvented himself and made it back.

Pesky would entail working counts and drawing walks, stealing bases, laying down a bunt for a hit, and clutch hitting.

Fletcher did none of theses things. He was just bad and has been for awhile now.