• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels outright David Fletcher off the 40 man roster, Chad Wallach with the team on taxi squad

mmc

25 minutes ago, REDneck said:

Pesky would entail working counts and drawing walks, stealing bases, laying down a bunt for a hit, and clutch hitting.

Fletcher did none of theses things. He was just bad and has been for awhile now.

He was pesky in the old days, and seemed clutch.  I guess it was 2019/2020, but that was ages ago.

1 hour ago, Lou said:

I can recall the days when guys here would give me shit for saying Fletcher sucked. 

I don't think I gave you sh*t but I did think he might revert to the 19/20 form at some point.....I missed it but I guess I've always liked Fletcher, probably thinking with my heart and not my head.....

4 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I have realized that Fletcher has reached Jo Adell levels of polarization among Angels fans. 

Love him or hate him. 

I think in general that comes from loving the way he plays the game. Max effort and hustle. The hate likely comes from production or lack of potential. When you see a guy hit .350 for 2 months , you know the talent is there. At a certain point you can only get by on what you did for so long before the audience sours. I think everyone wants him to succeed because he’s very likable. 

Might as well outright him now and see if someone will save Arte $20 million.

Hope he figures it out, but we have a roster spot when we need it. I'm sure something will come up.

It doesn't make sense for a catcher since DFAing Thaiss would be the corresponding move. Warren or Joyce eventually would not surprise me.

Might need to call up a BP arm next week.

23 minutes ago, Drink More Yakult said:

Yeah, I can read the title of this thread.

Others think it means there's an immediate corresponding move which isn't necessarily the case.

I think you give him some time at AAA and see if he can rebuild his game....probably not but it doesn't hurt anything....I guess you could say it takes AB's away from Soto or Velasquez or others....

34 minutes ago, Drink More Yakult said:

Yeah, I can read the title of this thread.

Others think it means there's an immediate corresponding move which isn't necessarily the case.

Most teams usually keep their 40 man roster filled.  Given that we are now at 39 players, and that we have some team needs (better backup catcher, better relievers, etc), it would seem to behoove the team to use that spot to add a useful player.  Combine this with the fact that Minasian is rather aggressive in terms of how he promotes players, it would seem likely that another move is coming.

8 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Most teams usually keep their 40 man roster filled.  Given that we are now at 39 players, and that we have some team needs (better backup catcher, better relievers, etc), it would seem to behoove the team to use that spot to add a useful player.  Combine this with the fact that Minasian is rather aggressive in terms of how he promotes players, it would seem likely that another move is coming.

Most teams don't have a below replacement level player between 3 and 5 years of service time on an albatross contract that they're fine getting rid of in April.

Teams keep their 40 man full to protect guys from the Rule 5 draft and they don't want to expose someone to waivers if they don't have to.

9 minutes ago, Drink More Yakult said:

Most teams don't have a below replacement level player between 3 and 5 years of service time on an albatross contract that they're fine getting rid of in April.

Teams keep their 40 man full to protect guys from the Rule 5 draft and they don't want to expose someone to waivers if they don't have to.

Right.  I'm not saying that they moved Fletcher solely because there's someone they want to add in particular.  I agree that they likely removed him simply because they can - nobody was going to claim him, and they didn't really have a need to keep him on the roster.

But likewise, I think they could potentially use that extra roster spot to add a useful player, too.  

• mmc changed the title to Angels outright David Fletcher off the 40 man roster, Chad Wallach with the team
  • mmc changed the title to Angels outright David Fletcher off the 40 man roster, Chad Wallach with the team on taxi squad

Fletcher earned his contract legitimately. He was versatile enough defensively.Not great  but not a liability. At the plate he was a decent lead off man with a good eye who could spray the ball around and always made contact. 

But he couldn't sustain his best form and lost his confidence. Injuries, skill degradation, bad habits seem to be responsible. Maybe complacency after his contract to some degree?   

Perry has to be pragmatic and pro active this season more than any other. Playoff contention is a high priority. Hopefully Neto works as a replacement. But I would still add a veteran for insurance purposes. It is possible  but unlikely that Fletcher regains his form in the minors. The team is still paying him a big major league salary and they may give him time to revive his career.

The big take away from all of this and other recent moves is that Perry Minasian means business.  He is being aggressive in his decision making and there is an urgency to what he's doing.  He's determined to put the pieces in place to get this team to the postseason, IMO.  He's showing us what he's made of and it's sort of refreshing. He's decisive.  That's good.

3 minutes ago, T.G. said:

The big take away from all of this and other recent moves is that Perry Minasian means business.  He is being aggressive in his decision making and there is an urgency to what he's doing.  He's determined to put the pieces in place to get this team to the postseason, IMO.  He's showing us what he's made of and it's sort of refreshing. He's decisive.  That's good.

But what about Thaiss?  Some action needs to be taken at some point.

7 minutes ago, Revad said:

But what about Thaiss?  Some action needs to be taken at some point.

Yes, at some point.

Fans are more knee-jerk than GM's.  I'm guessing he has a process for this.