• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

How confident are you in this bullpen?

How confident are you in this bullpen?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. How confident are you in this bullpen?

• Extremely confident
    • Confident
    • Somewhat confident
    • Meh
    • Somewhat unconfident
    • Unconfident
    • Extremely unconfident

The Iglesias that we saw on the Angels in 2022 is not the same Iglesias that we saw in 2021 or Atlanta in 2022. Once you look at his Angel performance last year, I expect Estevez to be better. I think Quijada and Herget emerged as very useful pieces and I like what Wantz showed.

I would like to sign one of the lefties still available, but I also think Joyce and Bachman will be options with a strong spring. Color me encouraged and hopeful.

10 minutes ago, drpiranha said:

The Iglesias that we saw on the Angels in 2022 is not the same Iglesias that we saw in 2021 or Atlanta in 2022. Once you look at his Angel performance last year, I expect Estevez to be better. I think Quijada and Herget emerged as very useful pieces and I like what Wantz showed.

I would like to sign one of the lefties still available, but I also think Joyce and Bachman will be options with a strong spring. Color me encouraged and hopeful.

Estevez has never had a FIP as low as or a K/9 as high as Iglesias had with the Angels in 2022. People act like Iglesias was terrible before he was traded. He had a handful of bad outings that hurt his ERA, but he was still very good.

Not enough choices.  Would have voted for this choice: "Well, sort of confident in an insecure way, but unsure of the uncertainty of the mild confidence I have, while retaining some hope of a positive surprise, but less hope than I would have had in previous years."

The Germans have a word for this, I think it's ungewissehoffnungsvollezuversicht.

Just now, Erstad Grit said:

Loup and Tepera are much better IMO than we think. 

I'm hoping CRod can be a bullpen piece and we still add one of Moore, Chafin, or Fullmer.

I also will be watching Chris Devinski during spring, he might be a back of the pen type guy. 

completely agree. Loup and Tepera could have huge bounceback years. If they represent even moderately their career averages with the addition of estevez i think the BP could have some life to it. 

Add in someone like Britton, Reyes, Chafin and it could be a great BP. 

8 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I’d rather have more of a sure thing than Rengifo or Fletcher or Soto.  

Andrus across the last three seasons has averaged a .241/.291/.365 slash line, averaging 108 games a season with 8 HR, 11 SB. I'm not sure he's worth what he's going to get. 

17 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Andrus across the last three seasons has averaged a .241/.291/.365 slash line, averaging 108 games a season with 8 HR, 11 SB. I'm not sure he's worth what he's going to get. 

It’s kind of like wanting another relief pitcher or another starter.  It’s about minimizing risk.  Sure what we have could be good, but as we have seen it could be bad.  I have no idea how much Andrus is going to get.  He isn’t high on my list, but he is on my list.  If I thought we could get Kim for a decent trade package he would be my first choice.  I like that Andrus makes contact.  I like that he is a solid glove.  I know those are attributes that Fletcher has, but watching him pop up every single at bat has me very tired of him.  Maybe I look at Andrus and it felt like whenever we played against him he would get a big hit against us.  He came across as a professional hitter.  He’s a guy with an OBP 55 points higher than his batting average in his career.  I like those guys.   

47 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Do we really need Andrus and will he be that much better than Fletcher/Rengifo at SS to justify a 10+ million dollar a year contract? 

I like Regifo, and I'm not a big Andrus fan, but we are sleeping on the fact that Fletcher/Rengifo might be a significant negative next season. 

1 hour ago, jsnpritchett said:

Estevez has never had a FIP as low as or a K/9 as high as Iglesias had with the Angels in 2022. People act like Iglesias was terrible before he was traded. He had a handful of bad outings that hurt his ERA, but he was still very good.

Iglesias only had 3 blown saves, but he lost 6 games, mostly when he came in with a tie score and gave up the winning run. Estevez stats are very different on the road and at Colorado.

Iglesias, to his credit, seemed to find himself in Atlanta. The only problem I had with getting rid of him, is we got back essentially nothing.

1 minute ago, drpiranha said:

Iglesias only had 3 blown saves, but he lost 6 games, mostly when he came in with a tie score and gave up the winning run. Estevez stats are very different on the road and at Colorado.

Iglesias, to his credit, seemed to find himself in Atlanta. The only problem I had with getting rid of him, is we got back essentially nothing.

Estevez's career ERA on the road is 3.51 with a WHIP of 1.26.  Since he became a full-time reliever, Iglesias has only finished with an ERA higher than 3.51 once in seven seasons and he hasn't had a WHIP higher than 1.26 in any of those seven seasons.

I remain more or less neutral on Estevez (I've read several articles about how people think he'll benefit from being out of Coors full-time, but I'm still "wait and see" on him), but even if he improves, I don't think he'll be much, if any, of an upgrade over Iglesias. 

12 minutes ago, drpiranha said:

^^^This^^^

I think the pen could be ok, that is if the starters are averaging 5+ innings, and the relievers are not always pitching in tied or 1 run games. Overuse will always screw up a pen. I know and expect that everyone in the pen will not be good, but i like the teams options from the minors to take over for that reliever that shits the bed. And if the offense is good, that can make a so-so pen look much better than it really is.