• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels acquire Hunter Renfroe from the Brewers for Janson Junk, Elvis Peguero, and Adam Seminaris

mmc

6 hours ago, ThisismineScios said:

On June 5th, the game Iglesias and Herget blew against the Phillies, the Angels dropped below .500 for the rest of the season. That game, here is who they started at several key positions:

3B - Matt Duffy
RF - Jo Adell
LF - Brandon Marsh
C - Kurt Suzuki
2B - Tyler Wade
SS - Andrew Velazquez

Think about that. We already have a better rotation than last year with 1 more move likely coming, and our bullpen leveled out after the ASB last year. I imagine an upgrade or two is coming, as is Chris Rodriguez, Luke Murphy, Torres, etc. And now, this is how it should look:

3B - Rendon, Urshela if injured
RF - Renfroe
LF - Ward
C - Stassi/O'Hoppe/FA
2B - Rengifo, Fletcher, (if we trade Rengifo), Urshela
SS - Rengifo at worst, upgrade at best. 

This is a massive raising of the floor. Even if you add Soto to the mix, who will NOT hit like he did in his cup of coffee. But still, if he settles around average with great defense he is light years ahead of Velazquez. SS is all but certain to have a better starter than anyone that played there last year. I am entirely optimistic about these moves. 

Last year when Rengifo and Fletcher were playing in the same game Nevin would start Fletcher at SS and Rengifo at 2B. I expect that to continue unless they sign a real SS.

2B Fletcher
DH Ohtani
CF Trout
3B Rendon
RF Renfroe
LF Ward
1B Urshela/Walsh platoon
C  O'Hoppe
SS Rengifo

I like that lineup, if we sign a SS even better.

Edited by Ace-Of-Diamonds

7 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Last year when Rengifo and Fletcher were playing in the same game Nevin would start Fletcher at SS and Rengifo at 2B. I expect that to continue unless they sign a real SS.

2B Fletcher
DH Ohtani
CF Trout
3B Rendon
RF Renfroe
LF Ward
1B Urshela/Walsh platoon
C  O'Hoppe
SS Rengifo

I like that lineup, if we sign a SS even better.

I think you should flip Rengifo and Fletcher both in terms of the position they play as well as the spot in the lineup.  That said, I do fully expect them to acquire a SS - it just won't be one of the ones that a lot of people here are hoping for, but likely someone who earns 10mil or less for the upcoming year.

45 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I think you should flip Rengifo and Fletcher both in terms of the position they play as well as the spot in the lineup.  That said, I do fully expect them to acquire a SS - it just won't be one of the ones that a lot of people here are hoping for, but likely someone who earns 10mil or less for the upcoming year.

Phil Nevin last year would always play Fletcher at SS when they were both in the game at the same time. Fletcher is the superior fielder. As far as the lineup goes I'm OK changing it up.

9 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Phil Nevin last year would always play Fletcher at SS when they were both in the game at the same time. Fletcher is the superior fielder. As far as the lineup goes I'm OK changing it up.

Yeah, but in your projected lineup, you listed Rengifo at SS and Fletcher at 2B - that’s why I said to flip it

5 hours ago, Warfarin said:

I honestly don’t know why we go trade and give stuff up for a defensive-minded, poor hitting SS. I don’t see how that helps. Ahmed doesn’t move the needle at all, in my opinion. Rosario, Anderson, Hoerner do. I really like Tim Anderson, injuries aside. 

A good trade for this team at this time. Hunter will add  quality corner defense in the outfield we've lacked since Calhoun was in his prime. And a productive, proven mid lineup  bat. 

Anything Walsh and Rendon do beyond last year's number will be a bonus as they will have a legitimate power hitter taking pressure off them. And they should see better pitches and bounce back with better numbers too.

With Ohtani's status looming the franchise can't wait on too many unproven prospects. This off season seems focussed on the present, and has been solid so far. 

17 minutes ago, TempeAngel said:

The thing is Urshela hits RHP's way too well to be in a platoon with Walsh. Look it up.

Urshela is an ED player. We don't know what Walsh is at this point. 

Walsh was better vs. righties when healthy. Obviously we don't know where Walsh is going into this season. But if he's playing healthy, Walsh will play. Urshela will still get 5 games a week one way or another.