• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels fire Jeremy Reed and John Mallee

mmc

13 minutes ago, 79CAAman said:

I’ll never be able to wrap my head around how a World Series winning manager is fired mid season yet the team waits until another losing season is over, to part ways with their hitting coach. That and black holes, those are two things that I have a hard time understanding. 

Well, according to Maddon's book, Perry was going to fire some coaches until Maddon told him not to. And then Perry just fired Maddon instead.

Also, that "World Series winning manager" you think highly of ignores essential aspects of the modern game that leave his teams behind the times.

14 minutes ago, 79CAAman said:

I’ll never be able to wrap my head around how a World Series winning manager is fired mid season yet the team waits until another losing season is over, to part ways with their hitting coach. That and black holes, those are two things that I have a hard time understanding. 

Black holes are just large masses collapsing in on each other causing a vacuum like effect that consumes all matter in its vicinity. Common sense bro! 

25 minutes ago, 79CAAman said:

You should try harder to wrap your head around it. It’s pretty simple. 

3 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

I fully expect it to be an internal candidate, for the same reasons I wasn't surprised they didn't seek an outside candidate for manager. (Yes, I used a double negative...)

The ghost of Sparky Anderson scoffs at your amateurish "double negative".  Either go quadruple negative, or stay out of his lane.

2 hours ago, 79CAAman said:

Pfft... 

You want to wrap your mind around a real conundrum?  Try to determine who/what is more self absorbed.  Joe Maddon, or a black hole.

2 hours ago, 79CAAman said:

Because deep down, regardless of his previous resume, Maddon was a loose cannon and had to be removed. 

i'm kind of feeling ward's guy trent for real. if he had enough knowledge of houston's approach to turn ward into an outright beast of a hitter this season, then i say bring the guy in and see what's what. before and after recovering from that injury ward performed like a legit all star. he was our best hitter.

16 minutes ago, eligrba4ever said:

The Angels offense in 2022:

• 1,539 strikeouts (30th out of 30 in MLB)
  • .687 OPS (tied for 22nd)
  • .233 team batting average (24th)
  • 623 runs scored (25th)

I'm absolutely shocked -- shocked, I tell you -- that the Angels fired two such esteemed batting coaches. Imagine the numbers minus Ohtani, Trout, Ward and Rengifo.

I don't really care about Reed or Mallee, but look at what they had to work with.  Aside from the four you mentioned, a lot of the guys who got playing time in the second half of the season shouldn't have even been on a major league roster.

19 hours ago, 79CAAman said:

You’re the guy who kept insisting there was some kind of conspiracy regarding Jesse Chavez and the Braves.

4 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

I don't really care about Reed or Mallee, but look at what they had to work with.  Aside from the four you mentioned, a lot of the guys who got playing time in the second half of the season shouldn't have even been on a major league roster.

That's kind of my take, too.

I'm not in any way saying it wasn't their fault. Or that they shouldn't be fired for the results. But the roster this year was pretty dogshit.

21 hours ago, eligrba4ever said:

The Angels offense in 2022:

• 1,539 strikeouts (30th out of 30 in MLB)
  • .687 OPS (tied for 22nd)
  • .233 team batting average (24th)
  • 623 runs scored (25th)

I'm absolutely shocked -- shocked, I tell you -- that the Angels fired two such esteemed batting coaches. Imagine the numbers minus Ohtani, Trout, Ward and Rengifo.

In fairness however, Marsh was responsible for half of that strikeout total...

All of our hitters need to cut down on the strikeouts, Mike and Shohei included.  There was a marked improvement in the Oakland series, and in the month of September overall when the team was hitting the ball where it was pitched and capitalizing on the pitchers mistakes.  

If we can add some FA talent, and continue that approach for a whole season, things may be different next year.