• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trash Pandas throw combined no-hitter

tdawg87

The Angles AA teams have been a wasteland of hopelessness for who knows how long with a hodgepodge of young guys with no talent, minor league veteran free agents to take up roster space and the occasional actual prospect.  The lack of overall talent at the AA level has been the single most obvious indicator of how poor the system has been for a long time.  

Again, the system still lacks a few of those really high end guys that would propel it to the next level but for me it's most exciting to see this because it speaks to a much different level of depth that hasn't existed for a long time.  

It's still not as far along as I'd like it to be as of yet, but now the system isn't as dependent on 5 or 6 guys and whether they have great years or really poor ones.  With the rest of the system really just filler.  It's more like there are 15-20 guys and some will have good years, and some will have bad years and most of them will progress as expected. 

At it's low point, there were like 10 guys to even talk about.  Then 20.  30.  40.  And now it's like 50.  And hopefully that will continue to build and or refresh as guys graduate.  And then take appropriate leaps when you are able to grab that 60 grade guy.  Or even a couple of them but it won't go back being a shit show if those guys move up or you make a trade or a few of them don't work out as expected. 

I like to rip on Dipoto so I'll go ahead and do it again.  They've built themselves a decent/good team of late.  But their farm was the talk of the town for a couple years.    Yet one trade big trade and a couple of graduations and they're back to one of the worst systems in all of baseball.  They better pray that the window they're trying to open here is enough because they've pretty much blown their load and an injury or two will that much more challenging to recover from.  Kinda reminds me a bit of where the halos were is 2012.  Good team.  Ended up being able to put together a great regular season in 2014.  Then the shit started to hit the fan.  

9 hours ago, rafibomb said:

Man, this team is so fun to follow. I remember the days when I wrote articles about the Angels farm system for this site and the best guys were Nate Smith and Sherman Johnson.

Then Stephan King told you to quit encroaching on his genre. 

6 hours ago, failos said:

Silseth is the real deal

If you want to look at what makes franchises successful, home grown pitching is at the top of the list—Rays, Braves, Cards….I think the future will turn to a large extent on young starting pitching: Sandoval, Detmers, Silseth, maybe Suarez keeps it up, maybe Davidson at the back end of the rotation, maybe Bachman, maybe CRod or Canning gets healthy…Quijada and some of the others in the pen can be good too…several other guys in the minors too…encouraging…

10 minutes ago, DMVol said:

If you want to look at what makes franchises successful, home grown pitching is at the top of the list—Rays, Braves, Cards….I think the future will turn to a large extent on young starting pitching: Sandoval, Detmers, Silseth, maybe Suarez keeps it up, maybe Davidson at the back end of the rotation, maybe Bachman, maybe CRod or Canning gets healthy…Quijada and some of the others in the pen can be good too…several other guys in the minors too…encouraging…

Yep, which is why I think the Minasian hate is misguided.  He has been similar to Eppler with his free agent signings. But in two years has created at least the discussion of having pitching depth or a nice future of pitching.

33 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Yep, which is why I think the Minasian hate is misguided.  He has been similar to Eppler with his free agent signings. But in two years has created at least the discussion of having pitching depth or a nice future of pitching.

Agreed with this. 2021 draft looks very promising and the trade for O'Hoppe also leaves me encouraged.

I hope the ownership situation is resolved and we see what he can do in FA with (hopefully) an increased budget in either the 2022-2023 offseason or 2023-2024; not to sign the top FAs, sans Ohtani, rather to build the depth and raise the floor of the team that has been sorely lacking under Moreno since 2010.

56 minutes ago, Stradling said:

That'll happen when you draft nothing but pitchers in a single draft...

But I agree with your point: Minasian deserves credit for the recent improvement in our minor league depth through drafts and trades...

Just now, Deek said:

That'll happen when you draft nothing but pitchers in a single draft...

But I agree with your point: Minasian deserves credit for the recent improvement in our minor league depth through drafts and trades...

Maybe.  While he didn’t personally scout and draft all of these pitchers himself, he is the GM and thus he gets the credit for what has happened.  They have drafted guys in the late rounds that are contributing at a high level in the minor leagues.  So whether you draft all pitchers or not, finding pitching after the first couple of rounds that perform, is certainly not guaranteed.