• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Angels’ 3B Problem: It’s somehow even worse than you think

BTH

11 minutes ago, Trendon said:

Even if they are worse, I’d rather see Stefanic/Thaiss struggle and gain MLB reps than see Gosselin/Rojas consistently run out there.

Stefanic and Thaiss are the next Rojas, just a year or two behind in their timelines of being terrible part time players for a year or two before being banished to the minors again. 

4 minutes ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

Stefanic and Thaiss are the next Rojas, just a year or two behind in their timelines of being terrible part time players for a year or two before being banished to the minors again. 

If that’s true, wouldn’t it be better to establish that as being true in a playoff-less 2022 season then potentially have to find out in a contending 2023 season?

2 minutes ago, Trendon said:

If that’s true, wouldn’t it be better to establish that as being true in a playoff-less 2022 season then potentially have to find out in a contending 2023 season?

We've kind of already found out though. Fringe players don't typically sustain long term success, as we've already seen with Walsh, Ward, Fletcher, and plenty of others, because the tools are just too limited. It's not like we have consistent 3-4 WAR players that are being blocked. 

The real decider in the team's long term success will be the guys further down in the system like O'Hoppe, Neto, and Quero

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

I 100% expect Walsh to be the everyday 1st baseman next season. 

Jose Abreu if we can get him for a decent deal. I want guys who can hit righties and lefties and can put the ball in play. 

Walsh cannot seem to do either and his power which was his playing card, is gone. .437 slugging pct after the All Star Game in 2021, .556 SLG pre-All Star. 

This season, don't ask. His SLG makes Reggie Willits blush. 

Edited by Chuckster70

10 minutes ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

We've kind of already found out though.

Stefanic has 48 career major league plate appearances.

Thaiss has 199.

It doesn’t hurt to try them out over players like Gosselin or Rojas. Yeah, it’s a low likelihood they will be good— but it’s higher than the likelihood Gosselin or Rojas will be.

4 hours ago, Second Base said:

Thaiss can play 3B too. It's ridiculous that he and Stefanic remain in AAA.

Respectfully, I think it’s ridiculous to think Thaiss is a potential answer for Angel problems at the corners next year.

Thaiss is emergency depth, not somebody with a future as a productive starting player.

At this point, with the Angels out of any conceivable chance at a playoff berth for over a month, the only "3B problem" is that the Angels are giving playing time to scrubs like Gosselin. I mean, who cares about the performance level. The team should be playing in preparation for 2023, and Gosselin has no role on the 2023 club. Thaiss and Stefanic might.

27 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

At this point, with the Angels out of any conceivable chance at a playoff berth for over a month, the only "3B problem" is that the Angels are giving playing time to scrubs like Gosselin. I mean, who cares about the performance level. The team should be playing in preparation for 2023, and Gosselin has no role on the 2023 club. Thaiss and Stefanic might.

That’s exactly my point, which is why I’m saying the “3B problem” is that Thaiss/Stefanic aren’t being given chances over Rojas/Gosselin.

4 hours ago, Stradling said:

Or they expect a bounce back season from him. It’s also possible they can find what’s wrong or the new hitting coach will be able to.  It isn’t just doom and gloom if they see him as the first baseman. 

Fix a flawed player or trade for or sign a more complete hitter that's cheap because he plays 1B. I pick the latter in an era of attempted contention. 

Try to fix Walsh, but do that in AAA and don't rely on him being "fixed" as a home to the offensive efficacy of the 2023 team. 

12 hours ago, Stradling said:

I 100% expect Walsh to be the everyday 1st baseman next season. 

i 100% expect that he will have the opportunity to play firstbase, possibly for the angels and possibly not. i also 100% expect that they will bring in somebody to compete for that spot. 

Just now, ukyah said:

i 100% expect that he will have the opportunity to play firstbase, possibly for the angels and possibly not. i also 100% expect that they will bring in somebody to compete for that spot. 

Sure, but it’ll be someone who can fill a different need. They won’t have two first base only guys, not without an available DH spot. 

19 hours ago, Stradling said:

Sure, but it’ll be someone who can fill a different need. They won’t have two first base only guys, not without an available DH spot. 

This speaks to some of the issues Ohtani creates with the roster. It would be nice to have some positional flexibility that allowed you to move guys in and out of the DH spot based on matchups. Does Minasian bring in a legit, MLB caliber 1B/3B in the offseason knowing there aren't any DH ABs available should Rendon stay healthy or Walsh return to form? Are we willing to get a legit outfielder without any DH AB's should Trout stay healthy and Adell and Ward hit well? 

1 minute ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

This speaks to some of the issues Ohtani creates with the roster. It would be nice to have some positional flexibility that allowed you to move guys in and out of the DH spot based on matchups. Does Minasian bring in a legit, MLB caliber 1B/3B in the offseason knowing there aren't any DH ABs available should Rendon stay healthy or Walsh return to form? Are we willing to get a legit outfielder without any DH AB's should Trout stay healthy and Adell and Ward hit well? 

The only way that happens is if they trade Walsh or see him as a fit in a 3rd/4th outfielder role.  

On 8/15/2022 at 11:26 AM, AngelsFaninGA said:

Do you mind if we give them consistent at bats to find out?

On 8/15/2022 at 11:51 AM, Trendon said:

Stefanic has 48 career major league plate appearances.

Thaiss has 199.

It doesn’t hurt to try them out over players like Gosselin or Rojas. Yeah, it’s a low likelihood they will be good— but it’s higher than the likelihood Gosselin or Rojas will be.

How many ABs does Trout have over the last three years?

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

The only way that happens is if they trade Walsh or see him as a fit in a 3rd/4th outfielder role.  

I could see him backing up the outfield... that might keep him on the roster. I tend to agree that doesn't happen though, but it absolutely should... he's nearly played himself out of MLB this year and he probably only has another half season or so to reestablish himself before the team completely moves on.

On 8/15/2022 at 11:55 AM, Chuckster70 said:

There's really no reason to trot Gosselin out there or Duffy when he returns. Play the kids like the OP suggests. Let's see what Thiass and Stefanic can do. 

The season is over so you’d think this is a good time to evaluate prospects 

9 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Does Walsh have any substantial OF experience in his past? If not, changing positions for a struggling player seems less than ideal