• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What keeps you watching the Angels in 2022? (Besides Ohtani)

m0nkey

I've watched plenty of MLB this season but very little Angels.  It's August, season's been over, so what keeps you watching for those of you who do?  I can see wanting to see the progression of the younger pitchers (Detmers especially after his slider development, Sandoval, Suarez, Barria), but what else?  

The hitters, if you want to see how Adell and Marsh (when he was here)/Moniak can play a role in the years to come, ok, but hard to get excited watching a lineup consisting of Taylor Ward crashing back to earth, Walsh, Velasquez/Gossellin, and whatever random outfield filler they have out there.

Why watch when I can follow on threads?  Thank goodness I moved on to Roku streaming and don't use cable because I would rather watch Twilight movies without the Rifftrax audio commentary than watch this garbage.

Oh, and I tried Apple TV once early in the season and hated it and the announcers so screw that.

I can't remember the last time I watched a game... even on my nights off. 

I still listen to them on the radio at work, but lately it's for an inning here or there... then back to something else.

Was talking to a buddy at work about this earlier tonight. He's had a 20 game plan for 17 years now. Has only gone to one game this year, and paid like 2 grand for the package. Isn't renewing.

To me, it's a combo... the team sucks. And has for a bit... and only seems to get worse.

But adding to that is the merry go round roster... love Ohtani. Love Trout. Etc.

After that? Nobody seems to be here longer than 2 or 3 years or so... hard to feel any attachment to guys who come and go so quick and often.

Not a lot of entertainment value.

38 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I can't remember the last time I watched a game... even on my nights off. 

I still listen to them on the radio at work, but lately it's for an inning here or there... then back to something else.

Was talking to a buddy at work about this earlier tonight. He's had a 20 game plan for 17 years now. Has only gone to one game this year, and paid like 2 grand for the package. Isn't renewing.

To me, it's a combo... the team sucks. And has for a bit... and only seems to get worse.

But adding to that is the merry go round roster... love Ohtani. Love Trout. Etc.

After that? Nobody seems to be here longer than 2 or 3 years or so... hard to feel any attachment to guys who come and go so quick and often.

Not a lot of entertainment value.

May 29 for me. Loss #5 of 14 - the 11-10 loss to Toronto. 

I did not say "I'm done with this team" that night, however I had no desire to see them lose to the Yankees in the next three games, so I just didn't watch that series.

Sure enough the Yankees swept the Angels, outscoring them 17-3. After that, I never went back.

I still check AW on a daily basis but I rarely read the Gameday Threads. I turned 40 a couple of weeks ago. That's far too old to spend my time on something that no longer makes me happy. 

My son is 11.  He's expressed some mild interest in the games here and there.  He knows who Trout and Ohtani are.  But doesn't really get baseball much.  

the other day I had the game on in the background during dinner just to see the score.  It was literally for about 30 seconds.  

My son asked me 'do they ever win'?  

My daughter sarcastically said 'no'.  Which was actually news to me because I didn't realize she'd actually been paying half attention.  

And I was like yeah.  of course.  sometimes.  

And then I realized that since my kids were born, the team is 50 games below .500.  And the last time the Angels have played an even remotely meaningful game that they would have a chance of understanding was maybe july of 2015 when they were 6 and 4.  

So I'm trying to not only sell my kids on boring ass baseball but I'm trying to give them reasons to watch the Angels.  I give them a Shohei story and then they sit there for a bit waiting for him to come to bat and then they leave the room.  

That is not how I felt about baseball.  That is not how I feel about baseball.  But I think it's how most of the next generation feel. 

And they want to know why the Dodgers are always so good.  Because they hear it from their friends.  And I ask them if they like the dodgers and they say no, but what it really means is that because of my fandom, they have no interest in baseball. 

I think I messed that up. 

I would almost rather have them be Dodger fans and show interest in the sport than making then angel fans in wait for when I might actually have an opportunity to create some interest.    

I never really started actually watching games this year.  I wanted to see if they could compete before I subscribed to the streaming service that would give me access (already have other subscriptions and the additional subscription would be entirely redundant other than getting the Angel games).

I was about to do it when the slide hit.  So it never happened.  I follow the team daily but have managed to not actually watch the games.

Personally I think the current distribution model is broken because it is too easy to simply not see the games.

MLB should do the opposite.  Do whatever it takes to get the game in front of everyone’s eyeballs for either free or close to free and then sell just maximize advertising dollars against the larger viewing audience.

Anyway just my two cents.