• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Manager in 2023

Hubs

Angels Manager in 2023 is  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the Angels Manager in 2023?

• Nevin
    • Montgomery
    • Scioscia
    • Girardi
    • Someone Else

3 minutes ago, cals said:

If they bring back Scioscia does Ohtani only play 4 days/week and pitch 5 innings?

Ohtani would not play in any game the day after homering and be taken out after 50 or so pitches if throwing a no hitter. He would also be left in for an additional 3 innings if he gives up 6 runs or more.

Standard Scioscia player management.

Ron Washington.

Why? Two reasons.

a. He’s got the Atlanta connection with Minasian.

b. I have a feeling Arte’s gonna have some degree of influence, and that his preference will be a manager with MLB experience.

Combine those two reasons, and Ron Washington makes sense.

Two other options: John Farrell and Walt Weiss. Both are former MLB managers who have connections to Minasian (Farrell in TOR and Weiss in ATL). Farrell also interviewed with the Angels in 2019. I think Weiss would be 3rd among those 3 because the Rockies didn’t have success under him (regardless of whether or not it was his fault).

If the team is open to a newer manager, let Nevin manage.  The team sucked before he started managing so give him a shot at a better roster.  That’s if they are ok with a newer guy in 2023.

If they want to move on, then just give me a guy that has some expensive managerial experience.  Sometimes a name that is too familiar feels less than exciting and immediately brings out the “why this retread?” question.

You are either somewhat trying to get lucky on a new guy or you are trying to rely on experience.

For me I don’t care all that much up front because you never know what is going to work until you do it.

My last choice is dumping Nevin for a new guy that is just a familiar Angel name, like an Erstad or some other 2002 guy.  That just seems like a stupid attempt at a warm and fuzzy press conference that doesn’t really represent any more of a chance at success than just letting the new guy here take a crack at a whole season with the experience from this season under his belt.

John Farrell did win at least 93 games in 3 of 5 seasons for Boston, including a WS title in 2013.

He took over a Boston team that had finished last in the AL East in 2012.

Still only turning 60 this month.

Downside is having not managed at the MLB level since 2017.   Don’t know the particulars as to why.

1) Scioscia managed Ohtani for one season, his rookie year, and he had Tommy John after that season. So, they didn't get to fully explore how to handle him.

2) Anyone who thinks he is done as a manager is not correct. He may not want to take a non-Los Angeles or Southern California job, seeing as he's spent the past 40+ years in SoCal. 

3) Moreno may look at the past 4 years and think, gee, maybe firing Scioscia wasn't the best idea.