• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Second Losing Streak Thread

2 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

No, they just aren't good.

I really think a lot of it has to do with depth. They're really good if everyone is healthy and performing well - but beyond the front-line players, the depth is terrible. And it isn't just the bench and minor league depth - its that half the starting position players are basically bench players.

Meaning, the Angels have a terrible case of "stars and scrubs." A few years ago it was "star and scrubs." To compound the problem, each of their stars has major issues: Trout and Rendon are injury-prone, and Trout is super-streaky now and Rendon has declined; Ohtani is erratic and hasn't recapture last year's performance, and Ward, well, who knows what Ward is.

Then you have solid regulars like Walsh and Stassi, and Fletcher through 2020. These guys can't carry a team. After them, young guys like Marsh and Adell, both of whom are still pretty raw and not yet quite league average players. 

But again, the problem is just too many plate appearances for guys like Velazquez, Wade, Rengifo, Lagares, Mayfield, Duffy, Wallach, Suzuki, Rojas, etc. Coming into tonight's game, those guys collectively had 700 PA: almost as much as Trout, Ward, Ohtani, and Rendon combined.

And don't get me started on the bullpen - that's on Minasian.

i would just like to point out early in this thread that i called this in another thread a bit ago, during the losing streak. win one and then go on another losing streak.

when everyone was clicking this was a fun team to watch although i didn't have much belief in them in the post season, but it sure made for a nice change after so much sucking. it does appear that the sucking has returned, and in exactly the same way it's been for the last 8 years. 

4 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

I really think a lot of it has to do with depth. They're really good if everyone is healthy and performing well - but beyond the front-line players, the depth is terrible. And it isn't just the bench and minor league depth - its that half the starting position players are basically bench players.

Meaning, the Angels have a terrible case of "stars and scrubs." A few years ago it was "star and scrubs." To compound the problem, each of their stars has major issues: Trout and Rendon are injury-prone, and Trout is super-streaky now and Rendon has declined; Ohtani is erratic and hasn't recapture last year's performance, and Ward, well, who knows what Ward is.

Then you have solid regulars like Walsh and Stassi, and Fletcher through 2020. These guys can't carry a team. After them, young guys like Marsh and Adell, both of whom are still pretty raw and not yet quite league average players. 

But again, the problem is just too many plate appearances for guys like Velazquez, Wade, Rengifo, Lagares, Mayfield, Duffy, Wallach, Suzuki, Rojas, etc. Coming into tonight's game, those guys collectively had 700 PA: almost as much as Trout, Ward, Ohtani, and Rendon combined.

And don't get me started on the bullpen - that's on Minasian.

Need to find better bench guys.

7 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

That's why.

The losing streak ended, but this team is still struggling. 

7 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

No, they just aren't good.

You are both correct. Teams that are not good tend to struggle