• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Los Angeles Angels 2022 MLB Draft Thread

mmc

2 hours ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Putting guys in new mattresses with better Wi-Fi doesn’t make them better baseball players. It’s the right thing to do for your employees, but it’s not going to turn jordyn adams into Barry bonds.

Wut 

23 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Making the argument that player development correlates to living conditions, in my opinion, doesn’t factor in as much as we’d like to think.  

again, that’s my opinion and not some verified study. 

Sleeping in cars or 5-6 guys to a 2-bedroom apartment is much different from upgrading to better mattresses and Wi-Fi. 

Some, not all, of these guys have wives. Young kids. If they're miserable, stressed, not sleeping well, not eating well, it very easily can have an impact on their performance and health overall. Sleeping in cars sounds like a great way to injure your own players. Has to be hard to get guys buying in that this was the right choice. 

I don't think they need to be coddled, and facing adversity is part of it, but if a couple years from now 29 teams are taking care of their minor leaguers better than the Angels are (and by most accounts, it already seems they're near or at the bottom), it's no longer just another example, it's a noted exception. It'll be harder to attract talent, harder to retain staff and coaches, harder to breed org loyalty if there are greener pastures everywhere else. 

Investing in an apartment where each guy has his own room and isn't splitting a queen on the floor with another dude, hiring some prepared foods intake, improving facilities...this wouldn't take much, and for a game in which so much relies on mental skills, doesn't bode well. 

I guess another way of putting it...making these change might not help make players better. 
But leaving these conditions as is certainly can hurt players. Why not remove the chance of hurting players at least? 

Edited by totdprods

9 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Making the argument that player development correlates to living conditions, in my opinion, doesn’t factor in as much as we’d like to think.  

again, that’s my opinion and not some verified study. 

If they're skimping on basic necessities like housing and food, there's a good chance they're also skimping on more directly related player development expenses too. At least that's the usual correlation in corporate settings

13 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Sleeping in cars or 5-6 guys to a 2-bedroom apartment is much different from upgrading to better mattresses and Wi-Fi. 

Some, not all, of these guys have wives. Young kids. If they're miserable, stressed, not sleeping well, not eating well, it very easily can have an impact on their performance and health overall. Sleeping in cars sounds like a great way to injure your own players. Has to be hard to get guys buying in that this was the right choice. 

I don't think they need to be coddled, and facing adversity is part of it, but if a couple years from now 29 teams are taking care of their minor leaguers better than the Angels are (and by most accounts, it already seems they're near or at the bottom), it's no longer just another example, it's a noted exception. It'll be harder to attract talent, harder to retain staff and coaches, harder to breed org loyalty if there are greener pastures everywhere else. 

Investing in an apartment where each guy has his own room and isn't splitting a queen on the floor with another dude, hiring some prepared foods intake, improving facilities...this wouldn't take much, and for a game in which so much relies on mental skills, might not help, but the status quo now might be hurting.

I can appreciate that and while I mostly agree with you, I don’t believe that explains the lack of talent or development. I completely agree that providing a quality living situation can help mental wellness and body recovery due to quality sleep. 

if you couldn’t pick up on the sarcasm regarding the WiFi, I apologize, I just don’t think amenities play a role in a players skills. I mean college players live in dorms predominately and they don’t seem to be portrayed as negatively as minor leaguers. 

35 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

I can appreciate that and while I mostly agree with you, I don’t believe that explains the lack of talent or development. I completely agree that providing a quality living situation can help mental wellness and body recovery due to quality sleep. 

if you couldn’t pick up on the sarcasm regarding the WiFi, I apologize, I just don’t think amenities play a role in a players skills. I mean college players live in dorms predominately and they don’t seem to be portrayed as negatively as minor leaguers. 

Yeah I gotchu. It def isn’t the cause of or solution to the probs. But it could only make it better, if for nothing else than removing a negative. What @AngelsFaninGA said rings true here too I would think.

I mean hell at this point it would probably be worth it just for the good PR.

Edited by totdprods

13 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Yeah I gotchu. It def isn’t the cause of or solution to the probs. But it could only make it better, if for nothing else than removing a negative. What @AngelsFaninGA said rings true here too I would think.

I mean hell at this point it would probably be worth it just for the good PR.

100% it’s the right thing to do. I’d be curious to see the DFA retention to the teams with the highest rated milb systems is. 

When you are 20 years old or so you can put up with a lot of guff. The majority of the players drafted received 6 figure or more signing bonuses. The players know that minor league life is not good and it is the stepping stones to the majors.. But the players dream that they will be the next star player. That is the life they chose. Some of them will succeed and become multi-millionaires and the majority will not.  That is true for all performance based business. But in the sports/entertainment business you have people rooting for you to succeed. 

40 minutes ago, Stax said:

When you are 20 years old or so you can put up with a lot of guff.

When you are 20 years old you also think you can put up with a lot of guff. 

Shitty food, sleep, and stress might not hit them the same or in the moment but it still takes a toll, even if they don’t realize it.

And I wouldn’t say a majority of these prospects are landing six-figure bonuses, especially once taxes and commissions kick in. A lot of these players are still signing for less than that. Some are signing for four-figure bonuses. And yes, $125k bonus is technically six-figures, but that won’t go very far over the course of a typical minor league career, though obviously, it’s still a great start.

Shitty food, sleep, and stress might not hit them the same or in the moment but it still takes a toll, even if they don’t realize it.

If you choose wisely you can eat on the cheap and it will not be shitty food. The coaches should explain this to the players. 

Sleep and stress effects everybody differently.