• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Los Angeles Angels 2022 MLB Draft Thread

mmc

17 Sammy Natera            L/L    6-4     195. 11/06/99        LHP        Jr

"Natera said he and his team are still finishing up a contract but that he expects to report to Arizona in the coming weeks to begin his professional career."

https://www.elpasotimes.com/story/sports/mlb/2022/07/23/new-mexico-state-pitcher-sammy-natera-los-angeles-angels/65381058007/

4 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Try looking at Dana as this draft's Chris Rodriguez and not as an 11th rounder.  That's essentially the sort of pick he is.

I think the willingness to spend is a byproduct of losing their second rounder.  The odds of a guy making an impact tends to drop off quick, so they may just believe having two legit third rounders is better than no second rounder and then having the usual talent in the 5-7 rounds.

I hate drafting high floor mediocre types but they actually did manage to draft some high floor guys with a legit tool, two if you consider pitch recognition a tool.  It's an interesting draft, a little bit of everything.  High floor, high risk, high upside, lottery ticket type projects.  I'd even argue that some of those older guys are being added solely to help some of the better younger players already in the system.

I think that was my first comment after this draft.  Lotto picks everywhere.  But on a bunch of older guys as opposed to going big on HS lotto types.  A very odd draft indeed.  

And I think the 6-15 is just a complex math equation.  As you already know.  

A pool of guys who were potential selections in rounds 1-5 that are unlikely to sign if picked after that.  So those guys aren't likely going to be take in that 6-15 range.  

then another pool of guys who belong in that 6-15 range based on talent and signability.  And for the most part, there is a ton of redundancy in that pool.  A list of hundreds of players.  So for instance, if you take Dana in the 7th (even though he's gonna be there in the 11th) instead of Phansalker (who is also likely to be there in the 11th), you essentially lose 200k from your draft pool.  

Or another example is if you were to just flip flop the picks of Coutney and Southard.  Who are both likely available in either of those rounds.  Southard cost you $7500 over and you saved $145,300 by getting Coutney for $7500.  If you switch it, you get Southard for a savings of $15,300 vs. the pool.  And Coutney at the same which saves you nothing vs. the 125k you're allowed to spend.  So 130k delta by just flopping your 10th and 12th picks.  

On 7/23/2022 at 11:20 PM, AngelsLakersFan said:

I really do think it’s the development end that’s fucking up

Bingo.

And with how cagey Minasian and others have been in commenting about what they've done even just for minor league player conditions it's not very encouraging. 

It's crazy, you'd have to think that for the price of anywhere from a back-up catcher to a mid-reliever, they could radically enhance so much in terms of development, player comfort, lodging, condition, food, facilities - not even considering the scouting aspect here - and see probably a greater ROI in 2-5 years from those players than what they'd get from that aforementioned cheap FA signing.

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Bingo.

And with how cagey Minasian and others have been in commenting about what they've done even just for minor league player conditions it's not very encouraging. 

It's crazy, you'd have to think that for the price of anywhere from a back-up catcher to a mid-reliever, they could radically enhance so much in terms of development, player comfort, lodging, condition, food, facilities - not even considering the scouting aspect here - and see probably a greater ROI in 2-5 years from those players than what they'd get from that aforementioned cheap FA signing.

I don't think the player conditions are themselves a big deal, but I think it speaks to a larger 'culture' at play in the organization. None of us know anything for sure, but rumors often have an ounce of truth, and where there is smoke there is fire. The focus has always been on providing resources to the top levels of the organization, and those likely are taken away from the foundation. 

With so many prospects failing to develop you have to wonder if they are being given the tools they need to improve at the pace required in order to become successful major leaguers.

42 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I don't think the player conditions are themselves a big deal, but I think it speaks to a larger 'culture' at play in the organization. None of us know anything for sure, but rumors often have an ounce of truth, and where there is smoke there is fire. The focus has always been on providing resources to the top levels of the organization, and those likely are taken away from the foundation. 

With so many prospects failing to develop you have to wonder if they are being given the tools they need to improve at the pace required in order to become successful major leaguers.

And I don't see how improving conditions could do anything but help. I don't believe it's tied to it by any stretch, but I couldn't imagine it could hurt. Bump pay a bit, help them with housing, better nutrition, meals, facilities. Eventually if the Angels start falling behind all the other orgs in these aspects, a few years from now they'll be well behind the pack again in terms of desirability and it'll just us take that long again to get up to par. 

And I imagine this goes beyond players just as much too. If you were a coach or worked in minor league development, I'd have to think other orgs where players are "happier" or less stressed would be far better to work with. Hard to retain development staff if there are perpetually greener pastures with better culture. 

Again, I cannot imagine it would cost that much to make significant improvements here too.  

7 minutes ago, totdprods said:

And I don't see how improving conditions could do anything but help. I don't believe it's tied to it by any stretch, but I couldn't imagine it could hurt. Bump pay a bit, help them with housing, better nutrition, meals, facilities. Eventually if the Angels start falling behind all the other orgs in these aspects, a few years from now they'll be well behind the pack again in terms of desirability and it'll just us take that long again to get up to par. 

And I imagine this goes beyond players just as much too. If you were a coach or worked in minor league development, I'd have to think other orgs where players are "happier" or less stressed would be far better to work with. Hard to retain development staff if there are perpetually greener pastures with better culture. 

Again, I cannot imagine it would cost that much to make significant improvements here too.  

I think the club could probably invest, say, an additional 2 or 3 Hamil-tons* a year in improving the scouting and development system - improving scouting, coaching, facilities, nutrition, housing, physical training, etc - both US and international - and likely yield some positive results in the coming years - heck, if only in karma points.  And Arte needs all the good karma points he can gather - the "cheaper beer" thing ran out long ago ...  

* Hamil-ton - the cost of one Josh Hamilton homerun hit for the Angels, roughly $4m.  

6 hours ago, DCAngelsFan said:

I think the club could probably invest, say, an additional 2 or 3 Hamil-tons* a year in improving the scouting and development system - improving scouting, coaching, facilities, nutrition, housing, physical training, etc - both US and international - and likely yield some positive results in the coming years - heck, if only in karma points.  And Arte needs all the good karma points he can gather - the "cheaper beer" thing ran out long ago ...  

* Hamil-ton - the cost of one Josh Hamilton homerun hit for the Angels, roughly $4m.  

How much are they currently spending?

11 hours ago, Lou said:

That's not necessarily true.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31870740/some-players-say-los-angeles-angels-failing-treatment-minor-league-level-gm-vows-address-it

https://angelsnation.com/angels-news-arte-moreno-one-of-four-mlb-owners-opposed-to-luxury-tax-increase/2022/03/04/

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2893068-report-angels-aggressively-furloughing-employees-compared-to-other-mlb-teams

https://theathletic.com/3378699/2022/06/23/minor-league-pay-extended-spring/

There's a pattern here, of being cheap with minor leaguers as compared to other teams.  And what do you know, our production of major leaguers from our minor league system is also terrible compared to other teams.  Where's there's smoke and such.  

To paraphrase Stalin "Quantity has a quality all its own" - spend more, you'll probably improve the wretched badness that's been our minor league system for years.  Spend better, great idea.  But it's obvious this team is cheap with its minor league system compared to other teams.