• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Los Angeles Angels 2022 MLB Draft Thread

mmc

9 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

Math update. 

Bonus pool of $7,028,100 plus 5% = $7,379,505

top 13 picks have signed for 7,757,250

minus the 125k allotment for each of those 11-13 = 7,382,250

so I've got them a bit over.  that can't be right.  

I was doing some of that math a couple of days ago, trying to project where they end up money wise, and came to the same conclusion as you.

10 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

All pitchers last year followed by all college guys this year makes it feel like these guys don't know what they are doing.

Obviously the Dana signing throws a wrench in that idea, so maybe they are just being savvy...

I think their approach is extremely data based and is probable that you're more likely to get accurate data on college players.  The random HS draftee was probably that they were to get enough info on that player to feel comfortable or just had a very persuasive scout.  

3 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

I think their approach is extremely data based and is probable that you're more likely to get accurate data on college players.  The random HS draftee was probably that they were to get enough info on that player to feel comfortable or just had a very persuasive scout.  

Well he was obviously passed over due to sign-ability concerns. By giving him an all time record signing bonus it follows that the plan was to sign all college guys typically under slot so that they could afford to replace their lost second round pick with huge overslotted 11th rounder.

31 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

All pitchers last year followed by all college guys this year makes it feel like these guys don't know what they are doing.

Obviously the Dana signing throws a wrench in that idea, so maybe they are just being savvy...

They needed the college bats for the upper half of the minors.

10 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Well he was obviously passed over due to sign-ability concerns. By giving him an all time record signing bonus it follows that the plan was to sign all college guys typically under slot so that they could afford to replace their lost second round pick with huge overslotted 11th rounder.

I would hope it works this way.  Where they have extensive scouting on a pool of guys that are likely to end up not getting drafted for signability issues and then the team waits to see what happens with their first ten.  Then they start making phone calls to those guys who were felt to be unsignable after a certain round and inquire about how much it would take.  then they draft one of them.  The best one of the bunch that's willing to take the money.  

11 hours ago, ScottT said:

Neto is the Angels #1 prospect according to Fangraphs?   That seems.... depressing.

It's definitely a combination of the lack of top talent near the top of our prospect list but also Fangraphs is THAT high on Neto. I think they have him around #50 already in their top 100 prospects in baseball.

Edited by rafibomb

9 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

I would hope it works this way.  Where they have extensive scouting on a pool of guys that are likely to end up not getting drafted for signability issues and then the team waits to see what happens with their first ten.  Then they start making phone calls to those guys who were felt to be unsignable after a certain round and inquire about how much it would take.  then they draft one of them.  The best one of the bunch that's willing to take the money.  

But then you have to ask if the juice was worth the squeeze. You draft all these underslot guys so that you can get the one big over-slotter. In a lot of ways this is now the Dana draft, as it seems like they have invested quite heavily in him compared to most guys in a typical draft.

1 minute ago, rafibomb said:

It's definitely a combination of the lack of top talent near the top of our prospect list but also Fangraphs is THAT high on Neto. I think they have him around #50 already in their top 100 prospects in baseball.

Buchmann shitting the bed this year is a big contributor as well.

1 hour ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

But then you have to ask if the juice was worth the squeeze. You draft all these underslot guys so that you can get the one big over-slotter. In a lot of ways this is now the Dana draft, as it seems like they have invested quite heavily in him compared to most guys in a typical draft.

Try looking at Dana as this draft's Chris Rodriguez and not as an 11th rounder.  That's essentially the sort of pick he is.

I think the willingness to spend is a byproduct of losing their second rounder.  The odds of a guy making an impact tends to drop off quick, so they may just believe having two legit third rounders is better than no second rounder and then having the usual talent in the 5-7 rounds.

I hate drafting high floor mediocre types but they actually did manage to draft some high floor guys with a legit tool, two if you consider pitch recognition a tool.  It's an interesting draft, a little bit of everything.  High floor, high risk, high upside, lottery ticket type projects.  I'd even argue that some of those older guys are being added solely to help some of the better younger players already in the system.

18 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Try looking at Dana as this draft's Chris Rodriguez and not as an 11th rounder.  That's essentially the sort of pick he is.

I think the willingness to spend is a byproduct of losing their second rounder.  The odds of a guy making an impact tends to drop off quick, so they may just believe having two legit third rounders is better than no second rounder and then having the usual talent in the 5-7 rounds.

I hate drafting high floor mediocre types but they actually did manage to draft some high floor guys with a legit tool, two if you consider pitch recognition a tool.  It's an interesting draft, a little bit of everything.  High floor, high risk, high upside, lottery ticket type projects.  I'd even argue that some of those older guys are being added solely to help some of the better younger players already in the system.

That's basically what I'm saying. I have no idea if this was a sound strategy but it sure is interesting, but to be honest I'm not a big fan of drafts that can be described as "interesting."