• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Los Angeles Angels 2022 MLB Draft Thread

mmc

Anyone else think this Draft was Minasian's attempt at a long-term solution for our Bullpen troubles? While there are multiple guys that can start, I feel like there are about 6 different arms that could be in the bullpen within relatively short order -- and two that could realistically be in THIS season. Toss in a good SS, a slugger, and an upside pick at Catcher, and it feels like a pretty solid effort. 

18 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Leverage to help sign him away from Kentucky?

14 hours ago, John Smith said:

Caden, an All-State first-team selection and Kentucky commit, told NJ Advance Media he’s planning to sign with the Angels after his brother was drafted.

https://www.nj.com/highschoolsports/2022/07/2022-mlb-draft-prayers-are-answered-as-angels-scoop-up-dana-brothers.html

13 hours ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Perry is a sneaky sob. Gotta love it

Perry is a genius! 

43 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Perry is a genius! 

So far I do like his draft strategy. To be honest, other than lack of depth I think he did the best he could addressing the teams fa needs with the budget provided. The jury is still out on him as a GM but I think he’s self aware enough to figure it out.

1 minute ago, Second Base said:

Looks to me like the Angels selected a lot of under-slot prospects so they could allocate additional funds to the few over-slot picks they selected. I don't anticipate a lot of these guys, aside from Neto, signing at slot bonuses. 

Essentially a depth type draft strategy. Taking several early to mid tier players throughout vs 1-2 top heavy. Curious to see how it plays out.

Dichiara and Phansalkar both seem like super frugal signings to help lock in guys like Madden, Mederos, Dana, Osmond...

I was pretty eh on this draft initially but it's growing on me. It and last year's draft feels like part of the 5-year sort of plan that hasn't really been apparent to date. 

4 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Dichiara and Phansalkar both seem like super frugal signings to help lock in guys like Madden, Mederos, Dana, Osmond...

I was pretty eh on this draft initially but it's growing on me. It and last year's draft feels like part of the 5-year sort of plan that hasn't really been apparent to date. 

who knows...maybe dichiara tones up and becomes a legit prospect. Other than him being a tub, he seems like he can mash. All i know is there seems to be a legitimate plan with these 2 drafts. time will tell.

2 hours ago, AngelStew43 said:

I really like the strategy in drafting the Dana brothers.  Also, Sonny D.  A high OBP guy is always good.  

The UDFA signing of Evan Russell may also turn into a good one.  The number 1 catcher from a top flight program, who also is familiar with Ben Joyce.  

Great job in the draft so far. 

Yep, completely agree. 

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

Alejandro Kirk was an AL All-Star selection for the Blue Jays and is 5'8 and 265 lbs and he's a catcher. 

I'm not worried about the weight. Keep leaning into pitches and putting them outta the park, Sonny D. 

And garner a high OBP.

RHH version of Schwarber?

Edited by Angel Oracle

Sounds like the Angels 4th round pick, RHP Jake Madden, is signing: 

“I’m definitely gonna sign the pro contract. Just because the deal got done and it’s the right money, so I’m definitely gonna go.”

Looks like it’ll be over slot:

“The 118th selection came with an estimated signing bonus of $512,700. Madden said late Monday night that the slot value was nearly doubled.“

https://cumberlink.com/sports/high-school/baseball/its-been-a-long-time-coming-east-pennsboro-grad-jake-maddens-competitiveness-perseverance-leads-to/article_aadc2a10-078e-11ed-a2b5-6f873e62bc44.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter_Clink_Sports

Angels 20th round pick, C Brendan Tinsman also plans to sign with the Angels:

“Just before the selection, the Angels’ area scout called Tinsman to check on whether he would sign a pro contract.

“I told them I was ready to sign and he said someone else will be in contact with me to discuss numbers,” Tinsman said.“

https://www.pressherald.com/2022/07/19/cape-elizabeths-brendan-tinsman-drafted-by-the-angels/

23 hours ago, John Smith said:

Caden, an All-State first-team selection and Kentucky commit, told NJ Advance Media he’s planning to sign with the Angels after his brother was drafted.

https://www.nj.com/highschoolsports/2022/07/2022-mlb-draft-prayers-are-answered-as-angels-scoop-up-dana-brothers.html

This is some great organizational decision making. "as soon as I heard them talking about my brother and making him money, too, that’s when I kind of freaked out. I have to take this."

We're getting an extra 3rd round pick in the 11th round... I'm really interested in where all of this extra money is coming from though. Madden and presumable Caden way over slot. 

2 minutes ago, ScottSted said:

This is some great organizational decision making. "as soon as I heard them talking about my brother and making him money, too, that’s when I kind of freaked out. I have to take this."

We're getting an extra 3rd round pick in the 11th round... I'm really interested in where all of this extra money is coming from though. Madden and presumable Caden way over slot. 

Dichiara (5), Phansalkar (7), Phillips (8), Stewart (9), and Coutney (10) were all senior signs (some were 5th year seniors) so that should be where they’re saving the money to pay Madden and Caden.

4 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Alejandro Kirk was an AL All-Star selection for the Blue Jays and is 5'8 and 265 lbs and he's a catcher. 

I'm not worried about the weight. Keep leaning into pitches and putting them outta the park, Sonny D. 

261 for Sonny D is a big stretch lol but the only response to the weight question is: Prince Fielder. Obviously Sonny isn't Fielder but weight shouldn't matter.