• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Los Angeles Angels 2022 MLB Draft Thread

mmc

There are some nice pitchers with injured elbows available this year.

No really, I'm serious.  Landon Sims, Connor Prielipp, Kumar Rocker.  Sims and Prielipp are done for the year with TJ sugery.  But Rocker is pitching...somewhere...either in Scott Boras' backyard or for the Roscoe P. Coltrane Junior High School JV team or somewhere.

And for those of you who prefer shoulder injuries, there's Blade Tidwell.

We're probably not going to get any of them, though.  First pick at 13 overall would be too high for those guys.  Second pick isn't until 89 overall, and I think they'll all be gone by then.

Edited by Lazorko Saves

• 3 months later...

Law's most recent mock that was released today:

13. Los Angeles Angels: Brandon Barriera, LHP, American Heritage High (Plantation, Fla.)

I’ve heard the Angels are taking a pitcher here and it’s most likely Barriera or Gabriel Hughes. I have not heard if they plan to take a position player anywhere in the draft this year.

Scouting report: Barriera ended his season early, choosing to make his final start before his team’s schedule was over, which may become more common going forward (Hunter Greene did this as well) as pitchers try to avoid getting hurt right before the draft. He’s been up to 98 with a very fast arm and shows two very sharp breaking balls, both of which can touch plus, along with a plus changeup. He doesn’t offer much projection, but he also doesn’t need it given his present stuff, and his build right now seems sufficient for him to stay a starter. I don’t think he gets great extension over his front side, but it’s a minor quibble. It’s premium stuff, and he’s aggressive on the mound. If he gets to consistent strikes, he’s an above-average starter.

1 hour ago, mmc said:

Coming up now, less than a week away, anyone have any prospects they really like for us?

I want Lesko or Rocker.

By all accounts, it’s pretty much a lock that the Angels take a pitcher.

If so, take someone with really high upside.

I don’t want someone like Hughes or Campbell, who I’d considering boring and a reach.

One thought: Angels fans are obviously having a rough time right now and are irate, so I wonder if Arte meddles and has the Angels pick a name (i.e. Kumar Rocker).

Also, picking Rocker would be a way for Arte to stick a thorn in Steve Cohen’s side (who we know Arte doesn’t like since he voted against Cohen buying the Mets). Also, Eppler now works there.

22 minutes ago, Trendon said:

One thought: Angels fans are obviously having a rough time right now and are irate, so I wonder if Arte meddles and has the Angels pick a name (i.e. Kumar Rocker).

Also, picking Rocker would be a way for Arte to stick a thorn in Steve Cohen’s side (who we know Arte doesn’t like since he voted against Cohen buying the Mets). Also, Eppler now works there.

About 0.0004% chance any of this happens.

11 minutes ago, Taylor said:

About 0.0004% chance any of this happens.

C’mon. 0.0004% chance?

The Angels, in all likelihood, are drafting a pitcher.

Kumar Rocker is a pitcher, projected to go in the first round.

Even if my stated reasoning has no influence, there’s a way higher chance than 0.0004% that the Angels draft Rocker.

3 hours ago, Trendon said:

image.gif

If they draft a pitcher, i would stay away from high schoolers. And i would hope if they draft a pitcher it would be a starter, not a reliever. Doesn't make sense to spend 1st round money for a bullpen piece. Being this is supposedly a weak pitching draft, i think spending first round money would be better spent on a position player.

So, either Barriera or Susac?

Law projects them to go #13 and #14 to the Halos and Mets respectively.

Better to draft a solid behind the plate guy with a good arm, and with good power potential but lower OBP potential like Susac, who was solid for UofA in college?

Or better to draft a HS pitcher with a solid 4 pitch mix (98mph heat, two solid breaking pitches, and plus  changeup) like Barriera?

Edited by Angel Oracle

36 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

So, either Barriera or Susac?

Law projects them to go #13 and #14 to the Halos and Mets respectively.

Better to draft a solid behind the plate guy with a good arm, and with good power potential but lower OBP potential like Susac, who was solid for UofA in college?

Or better to draft a HS pitcher with a solid 4 pitch mix (98mph heat, two solid breaking pitches, and plus  changeup) like Barriera?

Pitcher for sure