• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels DFA Justin Upton, reinstate Ty Buttrey

mmc

2 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Surprised but having Upton on the roster just takes up a spot for a more productive player....and that is a very low bar.....hell, Jack Mayfield is a better player than Justin Upton....most anybody is....props to Perry for not messing around.....

This comes down to left field specifically. Would you rather have Marsh and Ward back there, or Upton and Ward with Marsh in AAA waiting for Upton to get hurt. I still think a healthy Upton out hits both of them, and if Upton isn't healthy then the team can pay him to sit on the IL, just like it will be paying him to play for someone else.

This is so frustrating.
The guy had a solid spring, we couldn't find a single trade even if we ate 90% of the money so instead we eat 100%, again.
Who are they forcing onto the roster that this was necessary?  A lot of us wanted Stefanic to get a shot but only if hes starting it makes no sense for him to sit the bench so if they did this to keep him as a utility guy... it makes even less sense. 
Times like this i really wish i knew what the plan was... were playin a lot of guys out of position to somehow force Fletcher into SS and now this, a very confusing week. 

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

my first thought and that would be my guess.   They want to give him a chance to catch on somewhere else 

1 minute ago, Taylor said:

This is probably it. They must have decided they wanted to use him as a backup OFer rather than a starter, and he wasn't interested in it. Rather than keeping an unhappy player on the roster, they released him.

Like what reportedly happened with Pujols, even though AP denies it.

Yep, they let him show he could still hit.  He had a productive Spring Training.  He looks to be in shape.   

They didn't allow for him to fail or get injured -- it screams favor.

1 minute ago, Taylor said:

This is probably it. They must have decided they wanted to use him as a backup OFer rather than a starter, and he wasn't interested in it. Rather than keeping an unhappy player on the roster, they released him.

Like what reportedly happened with Pujols, even though AP denies it.

Not trying to bash him just to bash him but who exactly would want Justin Upton in their OF, even for free? He can't stay healthy, he is an awful defensive OF'er and, with age, his hitting skill set is awful.....

6 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I'd rather them cut bait and move on from players who they feel aren't going to be solid contributors, especially if there's a good option to take their place.

We saw that last year with Walsh assuming full-time 1B duties, and now we are seeing that with Adell and Marsh as corner OFers.

I would assume Ward will make the team and serve as the backup 1B.

It's not really the same. Albert hadn't been an MLB caliber player for 5 years, and he was already like 45 years old. There was no upside in playing and we had had better options for years.

Just now, DMVol said:

Not trying to bash him just to bash him but who exactly would want Justin Upton in their OF, even for free? He can't stay healthy, he is an awful defensive OF'er and, with age, his hitting skill set is awful.....

Look at it from his perspective. He's been battling injuries for the last couple years. He's had a really great spring offensively. It would take a LOT of humility to accept a 4th OFer role when he's had a pretty decent career as a starter.

It's a no-win situation for him and the Angels.

3 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

This comes down to left field specifically. Would you rather have Marsh and Ward back there, or Upton and Ward with Marsh in AAA waiting for Upton to get hurt. I still think a healthy Upton out hits both of them, and if Upton isn't healthy then the team can pay him to sit on the IL, just like it will be paying him to play for someone else.

Easy answer for me.....I go with Ward and Marsh....First off, Upton hasn't had a healthy season since 2018.....but we can agree to disagree.....

2 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Look at it from his perspective. He's been battling injuries for the last couple years. He's had a really great spring offensively. It would take a LOT of humility to accept a 4th OFer role when he's had a pretty decent career as a starter.

It's a no-win situation for him and the Angels.

Well, if you're right, then somebody picks him up to start....we'll see.....maybe somebody does.....

5 minutes ago, floplag said:

This is so frustrating.
The guy had a solid spring, we couldn't find a single trade even if we ate 90% of the money so instead we eat 100%, again.

Or perhaps we couldn't find a single trade Upton would agree to. 

If I were him, I'd reject any trade proposal. That way, I can choose where I want to play.

Just now, DMVol said:

Easy answer for me.....I go with Ward and Marsh....First off, Upton hasn't had a healthy season since 2018.....but we can agree to disagree.....

I think you are probably right 85-90% of the time. I just don't see a lot of downside to giving Upton at least through April to see where he's at. It's not like they couldn't wait for him to get hurt to move on.

1 minute ago, Warfarin said:

With the universal DH, most teams seem to prefer to rotate the DH spot around, avoiding someone who is permanently entrenched as a DH, unless they are an elite offensive hitter (i.e. Ohtani, Alvarez, Cruz).  Upton's bat isn't good enough to be a universal DH.

I am just speculating.  Upton bat isn't really that bad when healthy.