• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels DFA Justin Upton, reinstate Ty Buttrey

mmc

I guess they figured out he couldn't play first base...

I don't really like this move, unless they have some other plan in the works. Upton probably wasn't going to contribute a lot this year, but when he's healthy I think he can still hit. Given the roster it's now pretty much sink or swim for Adell, Marsh and Ward, and there isn't really anything else beyond them depth wise.

2 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I guess they figured out he couldn't play first base...

I don't really like this move, unless they have some other plan in the works. Upton probably wasn't going to contribute a lot this year, but when he's healthy I think he can still hit. Given the roster it's now pretty much sink or swim for Adell, Marsh and Ward, and there isn't really anything else beyond them depth wise.

Rojas has gotten playing time in the corners.  I would not expect him to be a significant contributor, but he's at least possible bench depth in the corners.

You would hope that between Adell, Marsh, and Ward, two of those three can emerge as legit contributors. 

1 minute ago, bloodbrother said:

So $30M player DFA last season and now a $28M player DFA this season. Less than ideal. At least its not my money!

I'd rather them cut bait and move on from players who they feel aren't going to be solid contributors, especially if there's a good option to take their place.

We saw that last year with Walsh assuming full-time 1B duties, and now we are seeing that with Adell and Marsh as corner OFers.

I would assume Ward will make the team and serve as the backup 1B.

Just now, totdprods said:

They're going all in with Marsh and Adell it seems, and I like that. But this is definitely bold. 

Well with Marsh in the OF and Upton off the team, that certainly is a massive boost to the teams overall OF defense. Marsh also should allow for the Angels to get Trout off CF here and there throughout the year and have him play some games in LF himself.

Guessing we'll see Marsh vs RHP and Ward vs LHP

Just now, totdprods said:

They're going all in with Marsh and Adell it seems, and I like that. But this is definitely bold. 

I don't really see much reason to run Marsh out there from day 1 if they aren't going to play him in CF. I would've let him start the year in AAA and then see how the first month shakes out. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Marsh fan but it isn't clear that his bat is ready and his defensive value in LF is greatly diminished. We also haven't seen any Trout in LF this spring. 

Surprised but having Upton on the roster just takes up a spot for a more productive player....and that is a very low bar.....hell, Jack Mayfield is a better player than Justin Upton....most anybody is......and how long before Upton gets hurt....props to Perry for not messing around.

Just now, AngelsLakersFan said:

I don't really see much reason to run Marsh out there from day 1 if they aren't going to play him in CF. I would've let him start the year in AAA and then see how the first month shakes out. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Marsh fan but it isn't clear that his bat is ready and his defensive value in LF is greatly diminished. We also haven't seen any Trout in LF this spring. 

Remember that Joe Maddon thinks defensive positions are relative.

2 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Rojas has gotten playing time in the corners.  I would not expect him to be a significant contributor, but he's at least possible bench depth in the corners.

You would hope that between Adell, Marsh, and Ward, two of those three can emerge as legit contributors. 

You might be right, they might be seeing something in Rojas that just isn't there. Say what you will about Upton, he at least has the upside of an all star caliber bat... Rojas is a AAAA player.

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

If its being done as a favor to him -- fine.

This is probably it. They must have decided they wanted to use him as a backup OFer rather than a starter, and he wasn't interested in it. Rather than keeping an unhappy player on the roster, they released him.

Like what reportedly happened with Pujols, even though AP denies it.

3 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

If its being done as a favor to him -- fine.   But this seems a bit short sighted.  It's not like Marsh or Adell are paragons of health.

Exactly:  Upton is not worth 28 million.  However, his offensive stats are better than both Adell and Marsh last year.

Why not give him a chance and hedge bets on whether Marsh or Adell are ready or not?