• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels DFA Justin Upton, reinstate Ty Buttrey

mmc

57 minutes ago, totdprods said:

They're going all in with Marsh and Adell it seems, and I like that. But this is definitely bold. 

Bold is better than bland, which is what we've had so often from management. Better to cut him loose now than in August when he's hitting .220.

He'll enjoy his $28 million this year, no doubt.

3 minutes ago, rageous said:

Upton hopefully ends the long list of overpaid position player contracts that the Angels have carried throughout 15 years going back to Gary Mathews Jr, Vernon Wells, Josh Hamilton, Justin Upton and of course Albert Pujols.  

That's something that I like that Minasian has been good at so far - avoiding a long-term albatross contract.  Arte's payroll is pretty good, but given that he is not going to go into the Dodgers / Mets territory, we can't have too many contracts like that on the books.

Trout and Rendon are already super long-term deals, and (hopefully) Ohtani will join them shortly.  I imagine the rest will be shorter term, higher AAV type deals, or at least until Rendon's contract is just about off the books.

5 minutes ago, rageous said:

Upton hopefully ends the long list of overpaid position player contracts that the Angels have carried throughout 15 years going back to Gary Mathews Jr, Vernon Wells, Josh Hamilton, Justin Upton and of course Albert Pujols.  

Let me see check in on Rendon in say June, before I agree with you....

I know some won’t agree with me, but I’m OK with this move.  Upton has never done anything for me.  Hit and (mostly) miss offensively, below average defensive player, and oft injured.

The future is now for the Angels.  It’s time to see what the youngsters can do.  I like the new, shorter swing of Adell.  I hope he can carry that thru the year.

The combo of Marsh and Ward will have some growing pains but nothing more than what Upton would have given us.

Just hoping for a healthy season for all of them  which is asking a lot for Angel players.

Edited by PattyD22

Just now, Capital_Dave said:

My problem isn't with moving Upton, it's that we won't get something -- anything -- in return.  Wouldn't the Giants for example have traded us back a mid-level prospect if we traded them Upton + $27M?  Just shows a lack of creativity for the Angels front office.

You're assuming he'd accept a trade there. Full NTC.

1 minute ago, Capital_Dave said:

My problem isn't with moving Upton, it's that we won't get something -- anything -- in return.  Wouldn't the Giants for example have traded us back a mid-level prospect if we traded them Upton + $27M?  Just shows a lack of creativity for the Angels front office.

No, a contender would not trade a mid level prospect for someone who is a net negative.

1 minute ago, Capital_Dave said:

No, SF is trying to win now. Upton wouldn't help. 

48 minutes ago, Lou said:

Someone should start a pool as to when Fletcher makes his first start in the OF. 

By someone, I mean anyone but me. 

I'm thinking April 15th since that is when he started in left field in 2019. 

11 minutes ago, Capital_Dave said:

Dave, the Angels can still make a trade while he clears waivers but Upton can still negate it with his no trade clause. So it's not as much about creativity as it is getting everyone in agreement. In this case 3 parties, not just 2. 

18 minutes ago, Capital_Dave said:

The guy hit .211/.299/.415 the last 3 seasons while providing some of the worst OF defense in the league.  Good luck getting anything in return for that