• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels DFA Justin Upton, reinstate Ty Buttrey

mmc

• mmc changed the title to Angels DFA Justin Upton, reinstate Ty Buttrey
26 minutes ago, Lou said:

Or perhaps we couldn't find a single trade Upton would agree to. 

If I were him, I'd reject any trade proposal. That way, I can choose where I want to play.

Fair io suppose, its just frustrating to see this become an annual tradition. 

20 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Considering that the Angels DFA'd him, they can still trade him. It's quite possible that they are doing this now to gain leverage over Upton's no trade clause. He can still turn down a trade, but even if he does he isn't going to be playing for the Angels.

Also let's consider his current health and 1.440 spring OPS. Rather than this being a favor to Upton, this is the Angels trying to sell high on J-Up. They are hoping that the expanded rosters, the universal DH, and the DFA force a market into existence that wasn't there three weeks ago and probably won't be there three weeks from now. They will find a taker and save one or two million to help feed Arte's coke habit. I think there is also still some chance Marsh doesn't make the team out of spring, and that they are actually really high on Ward starting in the outfield.

33 minutes ago, floplag said:

This is so frustrating.
The guy had a solid spring, we couldn't find a single trade even if we ate 90% of the money so instead we eat 100%, again.
Who are they forcing onto the roster that this was necessary?  A lot of us wanted Stefanic to get a shot but only if hes starting it makes no sense for him to sit the bench so if they did this to keep him as a utility guy... it makes even less sense. 
Times like this i really wish i knew what the plan was... were playin a lot of guys out of position to somehow force Fletcher into SS and now this, a very confusing week. 

i now see the answer to the roster was Buttrey... ok, makes sense. 
Still hate seeing us eating the money but i guess it is what it is

Well you cannot say that the Angels don't want to put what they believe is the best product on the field this year.

Trout had better produce in the last year of his contract, though, amirite?!?!?

Seriously, though, I like the move, but do agree with others that our depth in the outfield is now a bit tenuous. I will note that the Angels may try to cherry pick someone off of waivers or possibly have a minor trade in place to try and create more depth, there, but we'll see how this plays out. Excited for Marsh, Adell, and Ward, I think they will bring some good energy to the team.

Edited by ettin

8 minutes ago, floplag said:

i now see the answer to the roster was Buttrey... ok, makes sense. 
Still hate seeing us eating the money but i guess it is what it is

Was thinking the same thing.  By waiving Upton, we can reinstate Buttry who has upside to help us in the pen.

This maybe a solid move after all.

39 minutes ago, stormngt said:

I am just speculating.  Upton bat isn't really that bad when healthy.  

Yeah, it's not that bad, but I can't really see any team wanting him as a full-time DH.  I think he has value, perhaps as the weak side of a platoon in LF against LHP.  If he accepts a bench role with some starts against LHP, I think he'll easily find work.