• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Ryan Tepera (2 years, $14 million), DFA Kyle Tyler (claimed by BOS)

mmc

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

Is he better than what we have over the addition of a quality reliever? It's a balancing act but I'd rather see fewer leads given up from the mound from the 6th inning on. 

we were already in a spot to do that.  You can't protect a lead if you don't get one.  

and this is where I disagree.  the balancing act for the MIF is a guy with vertigo on the high wire with no net.  There's actually middle relief depth in the system right now.  

Now if we went and got Story on the cheap... 

• mmc changed the title to Angels sign Ryan Tepera (2 years, $14 million), DFA Kyle Tyler
On 3/17/2022 at 7:03 PM, Dochalo said:

am I missing something?  

He's actually been consistent his whole career but last year.  Where his FIP dropped relative to his career numbers which still sits at 3.99.  He does seem to consistently outperform his peripherals.  So fingers crossed.  

At least Perry didn't wait till the day before the regular season starts to get some pen help.  

And I really like our pen this year.  Even if one of those guys fail, it seems we've got the depth to cover it.   I hope Joe uses it well.  

And no clean peanuts starting the season in the pen

The point is you aren't expecting too much out of guys that can't handle their role. I think Mayers struggled when the pressure to match 2020 or even improve weighed on him. In addition, they put him in the setup role and he wasn't ready for that. Now, you share the burden. Bradley, Loup, and Tepera are all capable of pitching the 7th-8th. Mayers can be a high leverage guy in the 6th -7th, but the pressure is released a bit. This is how you get the most of out everyone, sharing the load. 

• mmc changed the title to Angels sign Ryan Tepera (2 years, $14 million), DFA Kyle Tyler (claimed by BOS)
On 3/19/2022 at 11:14 AM, ThisismineScios said:

The point is you aren't expecting too much out of guys that can't handle their role. I think Mayers struggled when the pressure to match 2020 or even improve weighed on him. In addition, they put him in the setup role and he wasn't ready for that. Now, you share the burden. Bradley, Loup, and Tepera are all capable of pitching the 7th-8th. Mayers can be a high leverage guy in the 6th -7th, but the pressure is released a bit. This is how you get the most of out everyone, sharing the load. 

Mayers did fine last year outside of a four bad appearances in the seasons first three months. He had a 3.84 ERA, 32 ER in 75 IP, 72 G.

April 21, 0.0 IP, 3 ER.

May 6th, 0.1 IP, 4 ER.

May 21, 1.1 IP, 3 ER.

Jun 17, 0.0 IP, 3 ER.

4 Bad games. 13 ER in 1.2 IP.

The other 73.1 IP, 68 Games, 19 ER. 2.33 ERA.

He will be an integral part of the Bullpen this year with Loup and Tepera (and Iglesias). Depth is good right now. But BP's are volatile.

• 1 month later...

Yeah it's early but it's not encouraging. Far cry from what he looked like last season. That K/BB ratio is pedestrian and he's simply not getting anywhere near the swing and miss he got last season. Command hasn't been good either

At least Loup has been as advertised and Iglesias is still one of the better closers in MLB

Edited by bloodbrother

14 minutes ago, bloodbrother said:

Yeah it's early but it's not encouraging. Far cry from what he looked like last season. That K/BB ratio is pedestrian and he's simply not getting anywhere near the swing and miss he got last season. Command hasn't been good either

At least Loup has been as advertised and Iglesias is still one of the better closers in MLB

Even Iglesias has had two horrible outings the past 2+ weeks.   Can’t keep that up for a lengthy time.

Tepera = Doug Corbett.

Both Ortega and Loup should be getting Tepera’s late innings work.

Edited by Angel Oracle

• 1 month later...

Who was that one guy that we trade mid season last year from teh rays? he was actually pitching good with the Rays, than was garbaged and dfa, where the Brewers picked him up and he was lights out.

Main point I guess is, is the scouting reports or something else?  Or is LAA their Vactaion homes for anyone in the or close to the mid 30s.

Just going off the pitch usage so far, Tepera's slider is down from last year (44% to 40) but is still doing a solid job. His sinker usage is up, and it has been an out pitch...

So what's the problem...

Is it change/adpatability? could it be possible that teams like Astros, Yanks, Sox get used to the scouting report and they make those changes, while our guys just bbring the same old scouting reports.

Or is it command? that seems to be the issue with Loup. 

As of 6 hours ago...

The Padres designated Kyle Tyler for assignment Sunday.

Tyler has been a fixture on the transaction wire throughout the season, as Sunday marks the sixth occasion in which he's been DFA'd dating back to spring training. He'll be exposed to waivers once again but will remain in the San Diego organization if he goes unclaimed by MLB's other 29 clubs.

• 3 weeks later...