• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Tyler Skaggs Trial (News & Notes) Thread (Eric Kay found GUILTY on both charges)

1 hour ago, Lou said:

Age doesn't discriminate when it comes to addiction. I'm 99% sure Tyler didn't think he was an addict. After all, he was a well-known professional athlete and millionaire. His family knew about his addiction and he wouldn't listen to them. Who was going to convince him?

I would be much less sure about that.    

You guys ever watch that scene from the movie "The Shack" (great book) where he's in the cave and he has to be the judge? That's kind of what this reminds me of. 

Do we blame Kay for giving him the drugs? Do we blame the Angels for not recognizing the signs? Do we blame his family for not doing more? Do we blame his dad for not being around to parent his son better? Do we blame his friends for not coming forward?

Those questions can go on and on. I think that's why we simplify it down to personal responsibility. Ultimately, it's Tyler's responsibility. 

If the family knew Tyler was addicted, couldn't they have informed MLB or the Angels?  I assume that such an accusation would result in an investigation which could have resulted in a league imposed sanctions?

It's a horrible situation but I return to the reality that Tyler's family knew of his addiction and chose not to access resources available from MLB or the Angels.

1 minute ago, eligrba said:

If the family knew Tyler was addicted, couldn't they have informed MLB or the Angels?  I assume that such an accusation would result in an investigation which could have resulted in a league imposed sanctions?

It's a horrible situation but I return to the reality that Tyler's family knew of his addiction and chose not to access resources available from MLB or the Angels.

If someone has an addiction problem then I think getting them help would be a priority over sanctions 

7 minutes ago, Jason said:

If someone has an addiction problem then I think getting them help would be a priority over sanctions 

I don't know how the league or the Angels would manage it.  If they suspend a player with the expectations that they complete some type of program, it seems like that would technically be a sanction because the player is prevented from playing.  I don't know how the CBA is written for such an issue.  I don't even know if the player would be paid if they were required to complete a program.  I also don't know if a program would have made any difference.

9 hours ago, Taylor said:

A lot of people are planting their feet firmly in the individual responsibility camp and criticizing the Skaggs family for blaming anyone but Tyler or themselves.

My question is, what would you do if it were your child? Has anyone here experienced one of their children becoming a drug addict? (Genuinely wondering.)

My sister has struggled with addiction and I can say from personal experience that there is no right answer to this question. She has taken full responsibility for her actions but that has not undone the things she’s done and it hasn’t absolved others from contributing to them. 

She’s recently been doing well but that didn’t stop some asshole for leaving some drugs on her porch as a ‘gift’ leading to her falling off the wagon. It’s her fault but it’s not all her fault, and there is only so much the family can do.

3 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

My sister has struggled with addiction and I can say from personal experience that there is no right answer to this question. She has taken full responsibility for her actions but that has not undone the things she’s done and it hasn’t absolved others from contributing to them. 

She’s recently been doing well but that didn’t stop some asshole for leaving some drugs on her porch as a ‘gift’ leading to her falling off the wagon. It’s her fault but it’s not all her fault, and there is only so much the family can do.

What a low life POS

Rush to judgment based on unsubstantiated claims just confuses things. And if Harvey had been having an all star season I doubt he would be subject to so many  reflex assumptions. It's too simplistic to look for an easy scapegoat without knowing the facts. Let's hear his side. And don't forget that the Skaggs family have not been so pristine without their own motives. So we'll just have to let it all play out.  

13 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Id still be curious/interested to see Kay sue the Skaggs family. Skaggs paid for a good deal of the drugs Kay was addicted to, in exchange for getting him some. So Skaggs is responsible for Kay.

Or is that a silly way of looking at it?.....

Skaggs wasn't an innocent child being fed drugs by a big bad boogeyman. He knew exactly what he was doing.

Whether he helped Kay score any drugs is unknown. But this whole fiasco is just the Skaggs family putting blame anywhere but themselves.

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Id still be curious/interested to see Kay sue the Skaggs family. Skaggs paid for a good deal of the drugs Kay was addicted to, in exchange for getting him some. So Skaggs is responsible for Kay.

Or is that a silly way of looking at it?.....

Pretty much a Co-Dependent relationship.. Which is a Drug Dealer/Client relationship.. Kay had the prescriptions/ability to get.  Tyler had the Funds and other professional contacts/relationships to forward to Kay.   

On 2/13/2022 at 10:54 AM, Taylor said:

A lot of people are planting their feet firmly in the individual responsibility camp and criticizing the Skaggs family for blaming anyone but Tyler or themselves.

My question is, what would you do if it were your child? Has anyone here experienced one of their children becoming a drug addict? (Genuinely wondering.)

That's a fair point, but it's worth reminding people that none of that has anything to do with the current trial.

This is the US govt vs. Eric Kay. Period.

The Skaggs family vs the Angels is the civil case that is yet to be heard.