• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Tyler Skaggs Trial (News & Notes) Thread (Eric Kay found GUILTY on both charges)

Matt Harvey to be named as possible drug source at Tyler Skaggs trial

eric-kay-02.jpeg

https://nypost.com/2022/02/08/tyler-skaggs-trial-matt-harvey-named-as-possible-drug-source/

ORLANDO, Fla. — Former Mets ace Matt Harvey will be named as a possible drug source for late Angels pitcher Tyler Skaggs, according to the defense attorney for former Angels employee Eric Kay, who is on trial for his purported role in Skaggs’ death of a drug overdose.

According to ESPN’s T.J. Quinn, who is covering the trial, Kay’s attorney said in his opening argument that, when Kay asked Skaggs on the night he died (July 1, 2019) where he acquired pink pills, Skaggs replied, “Those are Percocets I got from Harvey.” Harvey will be called as a witness in the trial this week, the attorney added.

Harvey’s agent, Scott Boras, declined comment, as he is not representing Harvey in this matter.

ESPN reported in 2019 that no Percocet was found in Skaggs’ system when he was found dead in his hotel room in Southlake, Texas. A coroner’s report said Skaggs had choked to death on his vomit with a toxic mix of alcohol and the drugs fentanyl and oxycodone in his system.

16 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

ESPN reported in 2019 that no Percocet was found in Skaggs’ system when he was found dead in his hotel room in Southlake, Texas. A coroner’s report said Skaggs had choked to death on his vomit with a toxic mix of alcohol and the drugs fentanyl and oxycodone in his system.

Yeah but isn't Percocet essentially oxycodone?

1 hour ago, bruin5 said:

According to a LA Times article, Skaggs mother said he developed an addiction to pain killers after his TJ surgery.  There is also some information that he tried to go “cold turkey” before he died but it’s from the Daily Mail so I’m not totally sure…

There goes, the Angels should have known angle. They would have if Skaggs family had informed them. Instead they were protecting their golden goose from an MLB drug abuse entanglement that would have devalued his next contract negotiations. 

14 minutes ago, Lou said:

Yeah, I'm not putting the blame on Harvey.

Hate to say this - but take away any one thing - including the grain alcohol -  and it sounds like a pretty good chance he doesn't die.  

Charging the liquor store that sold him the liquor isn't that far removed from charging Kay or Harvey.  

Mixing liquor and opioids - even straight from the pharmacy - has a distinct "Russian Roulette" aspect to it 

5 minutes ago, DCAngelsFan said:

Charging the liquor store that sold him the liquor isn't that far removed from charging Kay or Harvey.  

The liquor was obtained legally by a licensed distributor. Kay and Harvey were dispensing illegality obtained controlled substances. There are no similarities to draw the same liability.

Just now, Blarg said:

The liquor was obtained legally by a licensed distributor. Kay and Harvey were dispensing illegality obtained controlled substances. There are no similarities to draw the same liability.

It's a bit of hyperbole on my part - but there's no one on the planet who doesn't know that mixing liquor and any kind of opioid can kill you.

My point - apparently not well-made - is no one forced him to take anything - he knowingly chose to ingest a lethal combination of drugs - he wasn't roofied, and he's not a child. 

It's a shame, and Kay certainly deserves punishment, and possibly Harvey too. 

But as for finding the Angels morally/financially culpable for this - that's pretty thin (other than a sympathy "someone should pay" finding)

2 minutes ago, DCAngelsFan said:

It's a bit of hyperbole on my part - but there's no one on the planet who doesn't know that mixing liquor and any kind of opioid can kill you.

My point - apparently not well-made - is no one forced him to take anything - he knowingly chose to ingest a lethal combination of drugs - he wasn't roofied, and he's not a child. 

It's a shame, and Kay certainly deserves punishment, and possibly Harvey too. 

But as for finding the Angels morally/financially culpable for this - that's pretty thin (other than a sympathy "someone should pay" finding)

I agree with you on this.

Reports were the Skaggs family knew Tyler was addicted to opioids from his elbow surgery. They are claiming the Angels should have known but never informed them of said addiction. That makes them ethically the responsible party. I don't see how it can be any other way. But I am sure Cals would have an argument for the grieving family.

Just now, Jason said:

Unless evidence shows that they knew this shit was going on 

Well, yeah...

But Kay's family made some pretty serious allegations about Mead early on that seem to have faded away - he was the one strong named link of the Angels front office to Kay's drug dealing.

Removing him as a defendant from the lawsuit could mean a lot of things - but at face-value, anyway, not a promising sign.