• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Michael Lorenzen in the rotation.

tdawg87

On 12/6/2021 at 10:42 AM, tdawg87 said:

Michael Lorenzen Baseball GIF by Cincinnati Reds

I've been posting about this today and I was just thinking, has it actually been confirmed that he has been guaranteed a spot in the rotation in 2022? I saw one tweet that said it, but not sure I saw much else. Seems a bit odd to just immediately guarantee a guy like that a rotation spot in November.

@Jeff Fletcher?

Check out Lorezen's playoff start against the Braves last year @tdawg87

3 hours ago, DJO said:

Sorry - I am a long time Angel fan who lives in NY -  NOBODY and I mean NOBODY knows what to expect from Noah next year . When he was rehabbing he was under the strict guidelines of no breaking balls and his velocity was down . That is to be expected coming off TJ surgery but he is a question mark . If the Mets were totally convinced he was going to be strong and durable they would have offered him more to stay  but they weren't sure and they didn't offer him the deal he sought .   What is astounding to me is we all know our pitching staff needs proven help and it really wasn't addressed but they delude themselves that its mission accomplished  .They bring in Noah who may be solid but will not be over-worked his first year back ( less than 140 innings I would bet ) and Lorenzen who is a question mark as a starter . We will be going to the bullpen in the 4th inning in May next year because these guys can't give you innings . Nothing like burning your middle relief out by before July comes . Don't blame the GM's we've had - fire the owner !

Or maybe the Mets fucked up.  The Mets are some sort of authority in your mind when last year, with much better pitching, they ended up with the same record as the Angels and the Angels played without Trout and Rendon most of the year and had an awful pitching staff.  Also, if Noah, Shohei, Sandoval and Suarez pitch well they will get through five.  If they don’t then we should go to the pen early.  

On 12/6/2021 at 4:29 PM, Trendon said:

When the Angels acquired Santiago, he was coming off a season where he made 23 starts and threw 149 IP. The most IP Lorenzen has thrown in a single season is 113.1 in 2015.

Different times though. The Angels acquired Santiago at the tail end of an era where's starters were still generally expected to go 6-7 innings per start and 180 innings per year. 

Comparatively, starters only going 5-6 innings and 150 innings per year, makes Lorenzen closer to the mean than a simple comparison of numbers. 

There's also opportunity to consider. Santiago received opportunity for multiple innings, and Lorenzen really hasn't yet. I think best case scenario is Lorenzen takes to it the same way CJ Wilson did, though I think Hector Santiago is a more likely outcome. 

I'll be curious to see what velocity Lorenzen works at as a starter. In the bullpen he was mostly 96-98, and he could maintain that for 2-3 innings. But going every six days, and needing to cover more innings, it wouldn't surprise me if he dropped down to 94-95. 

But the more video I've watched, the more I've watched him drop down to 92 from time to time, similar to Ohtani. So he might choose to work in the low 90's. Or who knows, maybe he's comfortable in the upper 90's. 

19 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

I'm not exactly sure what he's done to deserve either a place in the rotation OR a place as a part-time outfielder/hitter when he's not pitching.  Sounds like a recipe for disaster.  Fun times.

My biggest takeaway reading that article was how his talking about how he was unsure how to use his FBs and tinkering with grips reminded me of Canning's struggles.  Hopefully whoever was spending all the time looking into unlocking Lorenzen can now shift his attention to Canning, because fixing the guy with the 4 years of control who looked like a budding rotation piece coming into 2021 seems like it should be a pretty big priority.

• 4 months later...
On 12/6/2021 at 11:10 AM, Adam said:

I'll vaccinate @Lhalo myself if he pitches more than 50 innings as a starter

On 12/6/2021 at 12:31 PM, HanfordGuy said:

I wonder why Perry wants Lorenzen for our rotation when he hasn’t been a full-time starter since 2015. He made 2 starts at the end of 2020 where he went 5.0 & 4.2 innings respectively. Does anyone believe he pitches more than 95 innings in 2022?

On 12/6/2021 at 12:46 PM, Torridd said:

That's not saying much and I would hope he's just a backup.

On 12/6/2021 at 12:47 PM, Torridd said:

It doesn't make much sense.

On 12/6/2021 at 12:48 PM, Torridd said:

Yes, it's laughable. Lorenzen shouldn't be handed a spot in the rotation. I don't see how he's any better than Sandoval, Suarez, or even Barria.

On 12/7/2021 at 12:50 PM, jsnpritchett said:

I'm not exactly sure what he's done to deserve either a place in the rotation OR a place as a part-time outfielder/hitter when he's not pitching.  Sounds like a recipe for disaster.  Fun times.

Nicely done, boys.

18 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

It's way too early to be doing victory laps.

If you read the the last few pages of yesterday's GDT you'd think the consensus is Minasian is a genius and the Angels are WS bound. But if they lose tonight the consensus will be the organization is rotten and the team is stuck in mediocrity.

Just now, Taylor said:

If you read the the last few pages of yesterday's GDT you'd think the consensus is Minasian is a genius and the Angels are WS bound. But if they lose tonight the consensus will be the organization is rotten and the team is stuck in mediocrity.

It's also way too early to be doing failaps.

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

My favorite part of fandom on social media is this notion that we aren’t supposed to enjoy the team when they are playing well because they haven’t played well the last several years.  Talk about some sensitive MFers.  

I blame scioscia for that. He ruined everything that has ever happened in this world.

You might as well replace the Biden i did that stickers with Scioscia i did that.