• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Why did we get rid of Jim Edmonds?

halonatic13

I don't question the need to move Edmonds off the team, it was the manner by which they did it. Between Tavares not being able to keep his mouth shut about personnel and then forcing a trade days before the season began he screwed Stoneman out of getting a quality package of players in return. 

This tread got me wondering what Jim was up to now and found this article from the Daily Mail. He’s engaged and his ex just recently got married to Joe Biden’s nephew. 
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10103615/Jim-Edmonds-reveals-shock-ex-wife-Meghan-King-told-marrying-Joe-Bidens-nephew.html

GEEZ - this is going back into the vault.  Had not heard about the real reason behind the 'weight lifting' shoulder injury as posted in this thread -- in retrospect it now makes sense - especially with Disney folks at the helm.

But Edmonds was kind of a jerk in the club house -- didn't he and Chuck Finley have some sort of falling out?

The worst part of the trade was getting Ken Bottenfield in return - he was to be the answer to our pitching issues like so many before him and since - out did not work out so well - I think he spent maybe two seasons with us.

But we also got Adam Kennedy from the Cardinals in that deal - so that made it palatable.

I think the worst thing Edmonds did was give that awful interview to Sport Illustrated at the start of Spring Training when he reported to the Cardinals training camp in Florida -- he made a bug display of throwing his equipment bag with the Halos logo into the trash can and then trashing the Angels.  All unnecessary.  That being said Edmonds catch in KC in CF was perhaps one of the greatest catches of all time and he made highlight reel catches on a regular basis (much like Torii Hunter did a few years later for the Angels).

I thought it was hilarious om 2002 when the Halos won't all. Edmonds showed up at the ballpark and in the media as being a big "I'm for the Angels ' guy when what I could remember was that Sports Illustrated interview where he went out of his way to trash the Halos and the entire organization.

Oh well - he still goes down as one of the best defensive outfielders in Halos history.

1 hour ago, HanfordGuy said:

This tread got me wondering what Jim was up to now and found this article from the Daily Mail. He’s engaged and his ex just recently got married to Joe Biden’s nephew. 
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10103615/Jim-Edmonds-reveals-shock-ex-wife-Meghan-King-told-marrying-Joe-Bidens-nephew.html

"LETS GO EDMONDS!" (his high school buddies at their wedding)

4 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Bowa, Collins, Disar absolutely HATED Edmonds. Pure unadulterated HATE....

You know way more about that generation than I ever will, but do you think that was huge with everyone else? I feel like DiSar was viewed as the erstad before erstad. And if he didnt like you, you were done

I cant see erstad and percival liking edmonds all that much

I also see GA liking edmonds a lot, but no one could ever tell

2 hours ago, HanfordGuy said:

Stopped reading at "Trump-loving".

14 hours ago, halonatic13 said:

Why did we get rid of Edmonds in his prime?   Was it $?  Or was it GA or Erstad pushing him out?  Was it his injury in his last contact year that did it?  

Because he didn't get along with then Manager Terry Collins and was basically talking shit on him. 

Dividing the clubhouse.

It was a horrible season that year.

I've thankfully forgotten most of it!

6 hours ago, Blarg said:

Hah, the Jimmy Zone. They had the Timmy Zone where Salmon was un-approachable before and during the game, the Erstad Zone with his peanut butter sandwiches and the Percival Zone with his bullpen caffeine addiction. Throw in the Christian Prayer Zone and you had quite the locker room. No wonder Chili lost his shit now and then. 

Wait a sec, what’s this stuff about peanut butter sandwiches?

2 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

You know way more about that generation than I ever will, but do you think that was huge with everyone else? I feel like DiSar was viewed as the erstad before erstad. And if he didnt like you, you were done

@Inside Pitchwill remember the details better than me, but I recall there was an incident late in 98 when they were close to catching Texas. I think they were in Oakland and Edmonds had an incident in the dugout with DiSar about his effort and attitude. Not sure, but I think it was just pushing and shoving, but it revealed there were some big internal problems.

IP, was this part of the reason Collins was let go?

8 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Disar was actually the most popular guy in the room for most of his Angels career from what I was told.  He was genuinely liked by everyone hitters pitchers, he was focused but nowhere near the intensity level that Erstad brought or even Salmon during games...   The way Preston told it Disar just never liked Edmonds and when Collins empowered him it went to his head and it was one of the things that ultimately led to the clubhouse schism that was the 99 season.  Disar FWIW did take Erstad under his wing.

Again, from the way Preston and Jeff Parker told it, Edmonds was generally liked early on.  In 95 when the team tanked he was supposedly one of the most accountable guys on the team, made no excuses, owned up to his poor play when he was off.  But someone once wrote at article saying that they fully expected him and Salmon to be MVP caliber players and it supposedly went to his head. He started to think he was above the rules, got lippy.. The Chili Davis incident was reportedly him jawing, Chili asking him to shut up and Edmonds essentially asking "or what" and BAM!  Chili put him into a wall..  

They used to talk about Edmonds as if he was two different people, Jim was the all star talent that could carry the team on his back. Jimmy was the guy who would be checking out chicks while in the OF..   For most of 95-97 people assumed that Edmonds would grow out of his BS, particularly since GA/Salmon were altar boy types and Erstad was the greatest red-ass in Angels history.   He just never did.

17 hours ago, Tank said:

@Inside Pitchwill remember the details better than me, but I recall there was an incident late in 98 when they were close to catching Texas. I think they were in Oakland and Edmonds had an incident in the dugout with DiSar about his effort and attitude. Not sure, but I think it was just pushing and shoving, but it revealed there were some big internal problems.

IP, was this part of the reason Collins was let go?

That game was when the Edmonds hate started to escalate and the schism began to take foot. 

The Angels had lost a game, Edmonds had gone like 3-4 or 4-4..  He was walking around in the clubhouse joking and shit with a smile on his face.  Disar and Dave Hollins decided he needed to be mad about the loss and not smile, just started tearing into him and at one point Edmonds made a crack about them needing to worry more about their play than his smile and people had to be separated.

Collins wasn't let go, he quit.  Even worse, when the player revolt started to take foot early in 99, Bavasi responded to it by giving Collins a contract extension in June of that year.  By September they had guys at each other's throats.  Collins had empowered certain guys to police the others and it got super ugly. Again, the way it was explained to me, the guys that hated him despised that he hid behind players and coaches to do his dirty-work, they were all sick of the passive aggressive BS.

Bavasi absolutely loved Collins...   Had he not quit, he wasn't going to be fired..  Tavares similarly sided with Collins, believed the players were all spoiled CA brats and that they needed to "try harder".   Thus the famous trade them all speech..

Bill Stoneman was a miracle worker.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

They used to talk about Edmonds as if he was two different people, Jim was the all star talent that could carry the team on his back. Jimmy was the guy who would be checking out chicks while in the OF..   For most of 95-97 people assumed that Edmonds would grow out of his BS, particularly since GA/Salmon were altar boy types and Erstad was the greatest red-ass in Angels history.   He just never did.

12 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

That game was when the Edmonds hate started to escalate and the schism began to take foot. 

The Angels had lost a game, Edmonds had gone like 3-4 or 4-4..  He was walking around in the clubhouse joking and shit with a smile on his face.  Disar and Dave Hollins decided he needed to be mad about the loss and not smile, just started tearing into him and at one point Edmonds made a crack about them needing to worry more about their play than his smile and people had to be separated.

Collins wasn't let go, he quit.  Even worse, when the player revolt started to take foot early in 99, Bavasi responded to it by giving Collins a contract extension in June of that year.  By September they had guys at each other's throats.  Collins had empowered certain guys to police the others and it got super ugly. Again, the way it was explained to me, the guys that hated him despised that he hid behind players and coaches to do his dirty-work, they were all sick of the passive aggressive BS.

Bavasi absolutely loved Collins...   Had he not quit, he wasn't going to be fired..  Tavares similarly sided with Collins, believed the players were all spoiled CA brats and that they needed to "try harder".   Thus the famous trade them all speech..

Bill Stoneman was a miracle worker.

That rings a bell

Its easy to sit back and think how stupid the Angels were to trade him. IMO, until he played too long, he made a HOF case. (Not many gold glove CFs that give you 400 HRs and and a .400 obp). 

But guys like this arent good in any clubhouse. You can see why guys wanted him gone.

Boston was trying to get rid of Manny for some time, too. Its crazy that any team would want to give up any huge talent, but guys sometimes are more of a headache than theyre worth.

• 2 weeks later...

reading through this thread brings up that awful period in Halos history when Collins' job was on the line and he got 'extended' by Bavasi but then quit very shortly thereafter.

Of course, my favorite player on the Halos was DiSar - who wasn't that good of a shortstop - frankly - had virtually little range -- but nonetheless was a spark plug type player -- the Angels just played better when he was on the field and in the line up and that was clearly shown in '95 when DiSar went down with the Halos having a 10 game lead in the AL West in mid-August -- and as we are all too painfully aware -- lost it all and had to play catch up for force that one game playoff in Seattle (at the Kingdome at the time) that went south quick (first or second inning - was it a Langston throwing error to first on bunt?  anyway, the game was out of reach by about the third inning and the Halos were headed home to watch the post-season on the couch,

The Terry Collins debacle came later.