• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Why did we get rid of Jim Edmonds?

halonatic13

1 hour ago, halonatic13 said:

Why did we get rid of Edmonds in his prime?   Was it $?  Or was it GA or Erstad pushing him out?  Was it his injury in his last contact year that did it?  

He was a damn womanizer and pissed off Erstad with his antics.  That’s what I heard.

The details are vague due to the lapse of time.

However, my understanding was that there was bitterness how Edmund waited too long to have surgery in the off season that it impacted the season.  Sime words were Saud by both sides and it was evident that Edmonds was going to leave via FA and the franchise had to trade him.

Edited by stormngt

I do recall near the end of Edmonds career on the Brewers or Reds they played in Anaheim and I gave Edmonds a big applause along with 5% of the stadium and most either didn't know or care who the hell he was. One person asked me "why are some cheering for that guy?" 

Could have been an all-time Angel great. 

2 hours ago, halonatic13 said:

Why did we get rid of Edmonds in his prime?   Was it $?  Or was it GA or Erstad pushing him out?  Was it his injury in his last contact year that did it?  

After the collapse of 1999 when the clubhouse and the coaching staff melted down, Tony Tavares wanted the entire young core (he referred to as a bunch of surf bums) traded away. Stoneman tried his best to keep everyone, with no intention of letting go of the young talent but near the end of Spring Training Tavares demanded Edmonds be traded. He made it worse by airing his grievances with Edmonds in the press, destroying Stoneman's ability to get full value from a young Gold Glove, All Star center fielder. 

15 minutes ago, Blarg said:

After the collapse of 1999 when the clubhouse and the coaching staff melted down, Tony Tavares wanted the entire young core (he referred to as a bunch of surf bums) traded away. Stoneman tried his best to keep everyone, with no intention of letting go of the young talent but near the end of Spring Training Tavares demanded Edmonds be traded. He made it worse by airing his grievances with Edmonds in the press, destroying Stoneman's ability to get full value from a young Gold Glove, All Star center fielder. 

Edmonds natural talents were very evident, even to the casual fan. Sometimes his at bats could be frustrating to watch, Edmonds disinterested in performing well when offensive was needed.  Wasn't bothered that Stoneman traded Edmonds but wondered why we got a poor return, all things considered.  Thanks Blarg and others for your insights.

1 hour ago, cals said:

If he says it, I’ll believe it.

Remember the story of how he hurt his shoulder lifting?   lol...

Dude was in bed with some chick that wasn't his wife..  he fell off the bed and and landed on his shoulder, yes.. really   Disney being all about family mandated the trade and the rest is history.  It was not a move anyone in the front office wanted to make.

There are a shit ton of pretty hilarious/amazing Edmonds stories.  Had he come up in the 60s his antics would have made for legendary stuff.

8 minutes ago, stormngt said:

So, was I mistaken about Edminds waiting too long for surgery?

Nah, his shoulder had been an issue for a good 2-3 years.  But what forced the surgery was the fall.  I think the way it was spun was that the players were bent he waited.  Mostly people were bent that he kept doing stupid stuff that was totally avoidable.

Best thing that happened to Edmonds was that trade, it tore him up when it happened and forced him to really take a look at himself.  The dude used to have a posse of his old HS buddies around him when he was in Anaheim and they seemed to bring out the worst in him -- that sort of crap just stopped being an issue after the trade.

53 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Nah, his shoulder had been an issue for a good 2-3 years.  But what forced the surgery was the fall.  I think the way it was spun was that the players were bent he waited.  Mostly people were bent that he kept doing stupid stuff that was totally avoidable.

Best thing that happened to Edmonds was that trade, it tore him up when it happened and forced him to really take a look at himself.  The dude used to have a posse of his old HS buddies around him when he was in Anaheim and they seemed to bring out the worst in him -- that sort of crap just stopped being an issue after the trade.

Thanks for thebackground info