• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Why did we get rid of Jim Edmonds?

halonatic13

I think also the Angels didn't adequately assess his talent, somewhat understandably.

When they traded him, he was coming off an injury shortened season at age 29. His four seasons before that (1995-98) seemingly established a 4-5 WAR level, though we didn't have WAR back then, and he tended to be a bit injury prone. He was considered a lesser star, if I remember correctly, comparable to peak Salmon, although a more well-rounded player with his excellent defense.

The Angels couldn't have known that, entering his age 30 season and with a very consistent track record, he'd not only turn into a 6+ WAR superstar for six years, but be healthy for most of it. Chances are, at best, he'd have another year or three like his 1995-98 Angels peak intermixed with several injury-marred seasons. But instead he not only found a new level but was healthy while doing so.

Still, it as a bad trade at the time. You don't trade an established star in his prime for a non-premier prospect and a #4 starter. They got caught in the glamour of Bottenfeld's 18 wins, seemingly ignoring his peripherals and track record. I think Kennedy was about as good as they could have hoped for.

1 hour ago, stormngt said:

So, was I mistaken about Edminds waiting too long for surgery?

No, that's the first thing I think about when I remember his departure. The club wanted him to get the shoulder surgery after the '98 season so he'd be ready for spring training, he decided to try and rehab it in the offseason, and then realized right when ST started that he was gonna need the surgery.

I was living in San Diego at the time and always listened to the Mighty 690. The morning show had Larry Bowa, one of the coaches, on for an interview right after Edmonds decided to get the surgery. When the hosts mentioned Edmonds, Bowa was noticeably pissed and minced no words about that situation on the air.

Also, Blarg's observations about Tavares' role in that trade are correct. I remember reading the quotes about Tavares ripping on the players and thinking "What's up with this guy?" 

No news here, but Tavares was a moron. It's no coincidence the Angels started their best-ever multi-year run immediately after he resigned.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

Nah, his shoulder had been an issue for a good 2-3 years.  But what forced the surgery was the fall.  I think the way it was spun was that the players were bent he waited.  Mostly people were bent that he kept doing stupid stuff that was totally avoidable.

Best thing that happened to Edmonds was that trade, it tore him up when it happened and forced him to really take a look at himself.  The dude used to have a posse of his old HS buddies around him when he was in Anaheim and they seemed to bring out the worst in him -- that sort of crap just stopped being an issue after the trade.

Ive read that, that the trade woke him up.

You have to wonder if he ever would have turned a corner here.

I also wonder if he would have had the same numbers here, vs playing with mcgwire....

3 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Ive read that, that the trade woke him up.

You have to wonder if he ever would have turned a corner here.

I also wonder if he would have had the same numbers here, vs playing with mcgwire....

You would have thought that Mo Vaughn would have straightened him out.  

watching arrested development GIF

4 hours ago, HanfordGuy said:

I remember my wife (now ex) really became more interested in Angels baseball when she saw Jim Edmonds. When he was traded…not so much.

My wife's favorite player was Brian Downing and we spent a lot of time in the left field bleachers watching games. I'm not so certain she knew what his face looked like. 

1 hour ago, mpcincal said:

I was living in San Diego at the time and always listened to the Mighty 690. The morning show had Larry Bowa, one of the coaches, on for an interview right after Edmonds decided to get the surgery. When the hosts mentioned Edmonds, Bowa was noticeably pissed and minced no words about that situation on the air.

Bowa, Collins, Disar absolutely HATED Edmonds. Pure unadulterated HATE....

9 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

When Chili Davis put him INTO a wall and it didn't keep him from going into the "Jimmy" zone, I don't think anyone or anything but that trade was going to change him.

Hah, the Jimmy Zone. They had the Timmy Zone where Salmon was un-approachable before and during the game, the Erstad Zone with his peanut butter sandwiches and the Percival Zone with his bullpen caffeine addiction. Throw in the Christian Prayer Zone and you had quite the locker room. No wonder Chili lost his shit now and then. 

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Bowa, Collins, Disar absolutely HATED Edmonds. Pure unadulterated HATE....

Didn't Bowa and Carew get into a fist fight? Part of Collins legacy was just about everybody was about to or did take a swing at each other. 

24 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Didn't Bowa and Carew get into a fist fight? Part of Collins legacy was just about everybody was about to or did take a swing at each other. 

I asked Preston about that once.  All he said was that nobody saw it but nobody had ever seen Carew that bent since the time he started a bench clearing brawl...   BTW, the only people that liked Bowa were Hollins, Disar and Collins.  Even Erstad, (noted red-ass), thought Bowa was a prick.

21 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I asked Preston about that once.  All he said was that nobody saw it but nobody had ever seen Carew that bent since the time he started a bench clearing brawl...   BTW, the only people that liked Bowa were Hollins, Disar and Collins.  Even Erstad, (noted red-ass), thought Bowa was a prick.

I thought I read this took place at the team hotel after the game and Bowa was making fun of Carew's hitting drills calling them something like little league practice. Insults from a guy that never hit even close to league average.