• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2021-22 Hot Stove League Thread.

They were saying on MLB Network Radio this morning that FanGraphs ranked Rodriguez as the third most valuable free agent pitcher... The contract contains an opt out and is for 5 years, $77 million.

Ha-Seong Kim as SS trade acquisition

Thoughts?

Padres don’t have room for him as everyday SS.   He is an upper level defense guy at SS.

Hitting was good to very good in the KBO, SBs/HRs.

Showed durability in the KBO from 2015-2020, and is still only 27 in 2022, owed $22 million for 3 years (2025 team option).

Owed similar money to what someone like Villar will get.   Three years is a perfect bridge to Paris.

Borderline top 10 prospect in exchange?

19 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Ha-Seong Kim as SS trade acquisition

Thoughts?

Padres don’t have room for him as everyday SS.   He is an upper level defense guy at SS.

Hitting was good to very good in the KBO, SBs/HRs.

Showed durability in the KBO from 2015-2020, and is still only 27 in 2022, owed $22 million for 3 years (2025 team option).

Owed similar money to what someone like Villar will get.   Three years is a perfect bridge to Paris.

Borderline top 10 prospect in exchange?

If anything, the Padres might have to attach a prospect in order to dump his salary.

I like him as being a high-floor option (because of his good defense) with upside if he can figure it out offensively.

I wouldn't mind a deal for him, but at a certain point you might as well save the $6M for pitching and roll with internal options at SS.

2 hours ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Has anyone else thought that maybe using our 6-man rotation would actually help guys like Scherzer and Verlander? Could give them a little more rest.

I think the 6-man rotation is a non-issue.

If a starter they're interested in doesn't want to pitch once every 6 days, the Angels can work their rotation around that SP so that they start every 5 days. (I think Maddon or Minasian even said this towards the end of the season).

11 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Kind of different answers there. I like the first, not so much the second one. I think Adell or Meyer is more equitable. Marsh is a bit too much, and the Angels really need him.

Adells's 2021 MLB improvement was very encouraging after the 2020 freshman pratfall. I foresee Adell producing a bigger impact than Marsh but value both players  That said, I do love yelling "Captain Caveman" as Marsh runs the bases.

5 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I'm kinda growing on the idea of Matz. I don't think he'll command a bunch of money but would lock in a need quickly. That 3/$30m that Lance Lynn and Kyle Gibson signed looks like a good comp. Easy to move if needed.

Matz is okay with me if that means we take a run at Scherzer. 
Still leaves me worried for the rotation. 

3 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Matz is okay with me if that means we take a run at Scherzer. 
Still leaves me worried for the rotation. 

I see Matz as being more the 2nd SP add for sure, and maybe even the 3rd. How that plays out on who is added ahead of him could go many ways still.

Just now, angelsnationtalk said:

Agreed. Ohtani likely fits the #2 role, but it'd be nice to add higher than Matz. 
If they take the run at Scherzer then I'd take a gamble with Thor. 

Or settle with Scherzer/Stroman

I keep coming back to the idea of adding Castillo, specifically because of his low(ish) salary and potential.

You could theoretically add Matz ($10), Castillo ($7.5) and even one more upper tier SP (maybe not Scherzer or Verlander, but possibly Ray, Gausman, or Stroman) ($25) depending on backloading.

You’d almost certainly throw in the towel on retaining Iglesias, but could move to other cheaper bullpen targets and hope the rotation is strong enough to mitigate that some. 

27 minutes ago, wopphil said:

If we are thinking of Matz, why not just bring back Cobb? (And for less money)

Why not both? 
Lock in Cobb and Matz each for around $8m-$10m AAV, so $16-$20m added.
Frees up someone like Suarez or Canning to pair with Marsh or Adell for Castillo for another $7.5m. 
Sign Graveman (a little cheaper) or re-sign Iglesias (or let him walk and take the draft pick). Could be anywhere from $8m-$18m for these.

Still leaves you money for a mid-tier SS (Taylor?) or RF to replace Marsh/Adell (Soler? Joc? Canha? Rosario?) or a couple vet RPs. 

It becomes a plan very dependent on Castillo emerging as a true ace, Ohtani remaining healthy, and Matz and Cobb staying effective, but it also spreads a lot of the risk around and keeps payroll manageable annually.

(Not my preferred route but still a realistic outcome)