• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2021-22 Hot Stove League Thread.

8 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Why Lorenzen and not Cobb?

Cobb might be nearing a deal with the Giants based on the reports.

The FO must see something in Lorenzen that they like and feel they can optimize.  We'll see.  It does seem to be an odd move on the surface, given he hasn't started for a long time.

21 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

Is Castillo the play in case we don’t get Ray? Or are they actually looking to get 2 starting pitchers?

Would make so much more sense to just sign Ray and Stroman. A trade for Castillo is going to undo everything Billy did for the farm. 

I really doubt they'd go for BOTH Ray and Castillo.

If we sign Ray to a 5 year deal, we'll need our young talent, more than ever, to help offset the high-priced contracts we'll have.  In a few years, we'd have Trout, Rendon, Ohtani, and Ray combining to earn over 125mil for just 4 players.  Trading the farm for Castillo doesn't make sense in that context.

I feel like if we did trade for Castillo, we'd likely in turn use the remaining money to fill out the bullpen and get a decent SS.

I do think if we acquire another SP, which I sure hope we do, then we will likely trade either Suarez or Barria.  Both should be SPs and would be a bit wasted as relievers, and neither have options remaining (whereas Sandoval dose), so it'd make sense if they are used in some kind of trade (as opposed to Sandoval).

22 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I really doubt they'd go for BOTH Ray and Castillo.

If we sign Ray to a 5 year deal, we'll need our young talent, more than ever, to help offset the high-priced contracts we'll have.  In a few years, we'd have Trout, Rendon, Ohtani, and Ray combining to earn over 125mil for just 4 players.  Trading the farm for Castillo doesn't make sense in that context.

I feel like if we did trade for Castillo, we'd likely in turn use the remaining money to fill out the bullpen and get a decent SS.

I doubt that cashing in the necessary trade pieces are Minasian's preferred option so I think it likely that Castillo is the fallback position in case of not being able to sign Ray.  If that's the case it is a really good sign after years of negotiating with their primary target, not succeeding and THEN pivoting to whichever picked over produce was remaining.  Being that a Castillo trade, by any team, doesn't have lockout urgency attached to it at the same level as the FA's, it seems judicious to lay the groundwork for such a trade as a back-up move early. 

The Lorenzen signing works for both scenarios, with signing Ray, they trade a SP to some team for SS, and if Castillo, as I think you mentioned earlier, Sandoval or Suarez along with Marsh/Adell and others to Reds.  In any event we are going to get a peek into how well Minasian can evaluate players because Lorenzen is definitely the opening move of a upcoming trade.

40 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

4 years for scherzer is nuckin futs. And at the same time, I still just cant see him going there.

At least here theres the lure of "healthy trout, with ohtani". And even then, we'd seem like a long shot. 

Im actually surprised the yankees arent laying in the weeds here. Even Boston. There just seem to be so many teams in a better position to spend crazy money for 3 years where he is actually the winning piece, and maybe gets them a ring.

Us and the Mets seem low on that list.

Top contract is usually what wins in the end. But hes old. Rich. Has a ring. Youd think at his age, it would be more "one more ring" than more money.

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

So if Scherzer goes back to LA is it Boras being Boras and driving up the price?  It seems strange that everything pointed to him signing with the Mets last night, then nothing.  

Yeah, I expected to wake up today and see it was a done deal. 

If the deal with the Mets falls through, the tweet from ownership should be good.

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

So if Scherzer goes back to LA is it Boras being Boras and driving up the price?  It seems strange that everything pointed to him signing with the Mets last night, then nothing.  

It’s almost like he is acting exclusively on behalf of the player, almost agent-like.

3 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Im actually surprised the yankees arent laying in the weeds here. Even Boston. There just seem to be so many teams in a better position to spend crazy money for 3 years where he is actually the winning piece, and maybe gets them a ring.

Us and the Mets seem low on that list.

Seems like he truly wants to stay on the West Coast, maybe even specifically with the Dodgers, and the Mets are literally falling over themselves trying everything to convince him otherwise. 

For as much as he's made in his career, an extra $10-$30 million to play in NYC might not be worth it if he wants to stay out here. Seeing as how it hasn't happened yet, I think the Angels and Dodgers are still pushing.

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

Seems like he truly wants to stay on the West Coast, maybe even specifically with the Dodgers, and the Mets are literally falling over themselves trying everything to convince him otherwise. 

For as much as he's made in his career, an extra $10-$30 million to play in NYC might not be worth it if he wants to stay out here. Seeing as how it hasn't happened yet, I think the Angels and Dodgers are still pushing.

All the talk of the west coast is interesting to me given that he lives in Florida.

4 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Yeah, the Dodgers especially would seem like a no brainer. Unless there was something we dont know about, and he either didnt like it there, or theyre pissed he missed the series(?).

But the Mets offer seems to blow everything out of the water in terms of making sense. (Way too much for a guy his age, who had dead arm last month).

If he isnt jumping to take it...

You can almost picture him now.... contract in front of him.... getting ready to sign... but not yet.... going "cmon guys, I dont want to do this, man", hoping the dodgers or somebody else offers him 3/100