• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: NL Championship games Dodgers vs. Braves

Dodgers came back from down 0-3 to the Braves last year (which still baffles me that the braves dropped that series), so this isnt close to over yet. 3 in a row at home with bueller going next isnt a stretch at all.

But still, their backs are against the wall. Hopefully Atlanta can redeem themselves for last year.

Well, that was fun to watch. Defence has been the difference between the two teams from what I've seen so far (haven't checked stats, just the eye-test). The Braves are excellent on D and make the difficult plays look routine, have done all post-season, whereas the Dodgers seem to make the routine plays sometimes look difficult, and miss too many throws wide of the mark. It's been a real advert for the benefits of excellent defence in a tight series. 

32 minutes ago, WicketMaiden said:

Well, that was fun to watch. Defence has been the difference between the two teams from what I've seen so far (haven't checked stats, just the eye-test). The Braves are excellent on D and make the difficult plays look routine, have done all post-season, whereas the Dodgers seem to make the routine plays sometimes look difficult, and miss too many throws wide of the mark. It's been a real advert for the benefits of excellent defence in a tight series. 

Braves' defense has looked good expect that huge blunder out in CF last night. That could have been disastrous. Braves should have easily won the game. 

But I agree the defense and the pitching has been the deciding factor in this series so far. 

2 hours ago, WicketMaiden said:

That’s because they think moving their players around different defense positions won’t hurt them.

Speaking of which Maddon, note to yourself: stop doing it yourself!

Utility player or two are nice to have.

But it’s not necessary to make everyone into one.

11 hours ago, ukyah said:

sorry jered, but just, no.

I hate to say but I agree with Jered to a point. Analytic baseball is based on aggregated numbers but not one particular at bat or base running play. When you reach the playoffs teams don't play any form of conservative baseball, seeing Scherzer closing a game doesn't happen in the regular season.

So using a game plan based on 162 game season where each player has to conserve some energy to keep going the year long is no longer the style of play for these short win or go home series. Pitchers throw a little harder, fielders will make a spectacular play now again in the field, hitters will go hard out of the box (except for Machado) and plays have to be made. You have to win today. 

Computer analytic modeling is not creative enough to win today. It can only give you a probable outcome for season play. Not that you throw it out but you can't make all decisions based on aggregated numbers. Because built into those numbers is fail, just nobody wants to talk about that. 

6 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I hate to say but I agree with Jered to a point. Analytic baseball is based on aggregated numbers but not one particular at bat or base running play. When you reach the playoffs teams don't play any form of conservative baseball, seeing Scherzer closing a game doesn't happen in the regular season.

So using a game plan based on 162 game season where each player has to conserve some energy to keep going the year long is no longer the style of play for these short win or go home series. Pitchers throw a little harder, fielders will make a spectacular play now again in the field, hitters will go hard out of the box (except for Machado) and plays have to be made. You have to win today. 

Computer analytic modeling is not creative enough to win today. It can only give you a probable outcome for season play. Not that you throw it out but you can't make all decisions based on aggregated numbers. Because built into those numbers is fail, just nobody wants to talk about that. 

The fact that Scherzer is closing games and Urias is coming in middle relief clearly shows the Dodgers aren't using data based on a 162 game season...  So, I don't know what your point is.

23 minutes ago, True Grich said:

The fact that Scherzer is closing games and Urias is coming in middle relief clearly shows the Dodgers aren't using data based on a 162 game season...  So, I don't know what your point is.

Roberts is simply channeling his inner Dumbpoto, trying to be the smartest man in the room.

All he did was put the Dogs within two losses of extending their full season WS titleless streak to 33 years.

36 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Roberts is simply channeling his inner Dumbpoto, trying to be the smartest man in the room.

All he did was put the Dogs within two losses of extending their full season WS titleless streak to 33 years.

This is funny because so many people praise the Dodgers as a model organization and yet - they are constantly critical of Roberts.  That doesn't add up.  Obviously the Dodgers front office (that so many praise) likes Roberts.

1 hour ago, True Grich said:

Buehler could have pitched with his normal rest last night but for some reason they started Max anyway.  Why would you not start your young, rested 1B ace in favor of a 37 y.o. 1A who is showing signs of fatigue, and pitched, not a bullpen, but a live inning 3 days prior? They could still start him games 3 & 6 or 7.  There had to be some over-analyzing going on to make that decision. 

2 hours ago, True Grich said:

I was responding to Ukiah. So maybe context is something you missed.

4 hours ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Braves' defense has looked good expect that huge blunder out in CF last night. That could have been disastrous. Braves should have easily won the game. 

But I agree the defense and the pitching has been the deciding factor in this series so far. 

* defence.

Mind who you’re talking to, mate.

18 minutes ago, Junkballer said:

Buehler could have pitched with his normal rest last night but for some reason they started Max anyway.  Why would you not start your young, rested 1B ace in favor of a 37 y.o. 1A who is showing signs of fatigue, and pitched, not a bullpen, but a live inning 3 days prior? They could still start him games 3 & 6 or 7.  There had to be some over-analyzing going on to make that decision. 

Starting Scherzer wasn't causing the Dodgers to lose last night, it is not as though he blew up and gave up 6 runs.

Buehler has a much better home to away split. My guess is they are thinking he is a stopper for game 3 to change momentum if needed (needed now) and able to pitch game 6 or a deciding game 7 for the win in Atlanta. 

4 hours ago, True Grich said:

2 hours ago, Blarg said:

Starting Scherzer wasn't causing the Dodgers to lose last night, it is not as though he blew up and gave up 6 runs.

Buehler has a much better home to away split. My guess is they are thinking he is a stopper for game 3 to change momentum if needed (needed now) and able to pitch game 6 or a deciding game 7 for the win in Atlanta. 

You're actually bolstering the point I was trying to make in response to TG's reply to you in that they were using data from the season, (as you pointed to the splits) to make the decision on who to start instead of a "here's where we are at now" type of decision.  

6 hours ago, Blarg said:

let's start off by seeing if we agree on what jered was referring to with his comment. i haven't seen any other comment beyond that one. what do you think he was referencing?

He was referring to leaning hard on analytics instead of managing old school. I think there is room for his statement to have some weight. The analytics can only take decision making so far and then the opposition can simply use the same numbers against you if they know your game plan.

One of Scioscia's faults was becoming predictable. It wasn't a analytics problem but more of a prescribed play under given circumstances repetition, like the squeeze play. His own computing loop. 

Roberts follows scripts to the Dodger Fan's constant anger when it doesn't work. When it does nobody notices. In the playoffs everybody notices, especially the opposing team. Last night the script didn't work. 

7 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

No, that isn’t it.  This has never been a Robert’s problem because if it was the smartest team in baseball would have fired him years ago.  This is an organizational philosophy. 

On 10/17/2021 at 9:53 PM, mmc said:

Hes got a point. I remember an episode of gilligans island, where the harlem globetrotters had to play robots. The robots ran the court for 3 quarters, just owning the globetrotters with all their data. But the globetrotters, led by Curly, were able to utilize their tricks in the 4th quarter, something the robots couldnt understand. And harlem won the game.

And the castaways were still stuck on the island at the end of the episode. It was a good one.