• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: AL Championship Series

14 hours ago, True Grich said:

Someone needs to ask Carlos Correa - "What time is it now?"

The pitcher Rodriguez did just that - see interview on the 'controversy'. Sheesh.

https://www.mlb.com/video/rodriguez-on-mocking-correa 

I liked what Correa had to say about it, totally agree with him that we should be encouraging players to express themselves more, it's entertaining and baseball is an entertainment business. If the players want to pimp their plays then so be it, it makes it all the more funny when they eventually fall flat on their faces.

25 minutes ago, WicketMaiden said:

The pitcher Rodriguez did just that - see interview on the 'controversy'. Sheesh.

https://www.mlb.com/video/rodriguez-on-mocking-correa 

I liked what Correa had to say about it, totally agree with him that we should be encouraging players to express themselves more, it's entertaining and baseball is an entertainment business. If the players want to pimp their plays then so be it, it makes it all the more funny when they eventually fall flat on their faces.

I like players showing emotion and having a bit of swagger... I prefer it when it's spontaneous and in a celebratory manner.  I'm old school.  I prefer guys like Barry Sanders or Mike Trout who go about their greatness without showing up their opponents, but I appreciate players who can walk the talk. 

My favorite athlete/sports figure of all-time is Muhammad Ali.  Nobody did it better. 

I'm all over the place on this stuff... it also depends on who is doing it and when they're doing it.  I know that's not necessarily fair.  Just being honest.

At the end of the day, I go back and forth on the whole thing... When I was actively playing sports, I never did it and I didn't like it when my opponents did it.  It definitely amped me up. 

42 minutes ago, True Grich said:

I like players showing emotion and having a bit of swagger... I prefer it when it's spontaneous and in a celebratory manner.  I'm old school.  I prefer guys like Barry Sanders or Mike Trout who go about their greatness without showing up their opponents, but I appreciate players who can walk the talk. 

My favorite athlete/sports figure of all-time is Muhammad Ali.  Nobody did it better. 

I'm all over the place on this stuff... it also depends on who is doing it and when they're doing it.  I know that's not necessarily fair.  Just being honest.

At the end of the day, I go back and forth on the whole thing... When I was actively playing sports, I never did it and I didn't like it when my opponents did it.  It definitely amped me up. 

I agree, it's very nuanced. I think context is key here and Ali is a good example. He was a show-man and often said outrageous things with a twinkle in his eye or the hint of a smile, we knew it was a show and we loved it. But he was also humble and a caring human being and that showed through too at times. He was a good winner and a good loser, so we cut him a lot of slack. He talked a lot of rubbish but he was still a classy guy.

If a player hits an important home-run to take the lead against a rival and wants to pretend to be an aeroplane running around the bases or run backwards or whatever they want to do within the bounds of decency then great, go for it; but if someone like Harper or Trout or Stanton, or any big name in the game, hits a nothing homer off a rookie in one of his first games against a tanking team and then pimps it up like a MF then that's a bit different and shows a lack of class. The players' values and ethics will show through for good and bad.

Mostly I just want the players to express themselves, introduce their personality into the game and have a good time on the field doing something most of us would love to do. Now as the players will represent a cross-section of humanity and will therefore include a fair balance of idiots and numpties, some of these expressions will be in poor taste. But hey, I'm all for freedom of expression and I'm sure the reactions the players receive for classless celebrations will allow them the learning opportunities they need as young men to grow and better themselves. 

I hate the Astros, but damn - they’re good. I also hate the Sox, but they’re pretty damn good too. 

Both teams get after it.  The Astros just won’t freakin’ die, even though I want them to. I keep waiting for them to be irrelevant, but it isn’t happening.

The Sox and Giants have been the closest thing to being dominant since 2004. Pisses me off.

That all being said, it’s a heck of a series.

Edited by True Grich